Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 21 Posts

I am not plugging anything and I don't work for XM radio. I got one when my stock car stereo died and I had a fistfull of rebates that made XM nearly a freebie. XM is a satellite radio with 100 different stations. You can get hard rock (regularly plays solo Dave and less-commercial Sammy Van Halen tunes), a dozen news channels, or (one of my favorites) an uncensored comedy station that plays stand-up from Martin Lawrence, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, etc.

Now for the Sam and Dave part -- on August 16th, the hard rock station is joining in on the Sam and Dave hysteria -- it will be playing 420 straight songs featuring either Dave or Sammy. The promos are built around the fight concept of the Heavyweights of Rock 'n Roll. 420 tunes of pure fucking rock (419 if they play "Eagles Fly"). It should be awesome. I don't know if there will be any in studio, but I will post if I hear further.

I know a couple of Linkers work in radio. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW!

I've been curious about XM Radio since I first heard about it a year ago.

Sounds really cool. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I think I'm gonna have to invest in one. Are they complicated? Do you need like a bunch of electro-boxes in your trunk with a BIG antena? Or is it pretty much the same as a regular radio? What about one for your home?
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Gonna move this to the Main Discussion forum.

Good stuff... When it comes to Dave's songs, anyway.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

XM Update: The Sam and Dave 420 is under way! 420 songs by Sam or Dave. Pure heaven (most of the time).

On the Dave side, I heard some long-forgotten (at least, by the man himself) solo gems: Two Fools A Minute and Damn Good. From Sammy, they played some cool Montrose and his VH tune, Black and Blue, one of my favorites that you don't hear often enough.

Only low point thus far was Sammy's cover of "Dock of the Bay". At first, I thought it was Michael Bolton. But it was Sammy. Unfortunately, it was just as gay.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Does XM have commercials? Ive been thinking about getting one, but I dont want commercials!
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smokin, please give updates on other DLR solo gems [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit...DLR

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:44 AM
    Liked 542 Times in 323 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If I recall correctly, no commercials. It costs like $10 a month, and you get it all commercial free. I was told about it when I put a CD player in my car like a year and a half ago, I think it wasn't even out yet. I just don't want to pay $10 a month for radio.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

Again, I am not an XM rep, so I ain't selling shit.

XM is commercial free except for the few local radio stations that do XM simulcast (one from NY that does love songs, a crummy one out of LA with Rick Dees, and one out of Houston). You have to get an XM ready receiver, an XM tuner that fits behind the receiver and a small, relatively unobtrusive XM antenna. Best Buy gave me some rebates.

It costs $10 month. But you get a ton of digital stations that are exclusive to particular tastes -- i.e., the hard rock station currently playing 420 songs in a row of Dave and Sammy. While I love the rock and some of the alternative stations, all of which play really diverse stuff (they had a live acoustic set by Yes recently) and stuff that is not on the typical FM rotation list, the $10/month is well-spent just for the uncensored comedy station. If Howard Stern is obsessing about himself a little too much or if I'm just not in the mood for music, this station is awesome -- classic Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, George Carlin, the guy who tells those "You might be a redneck" jokes, Don Rickles, Richard Jeni, etc. I nearly drove off the road laughing to Buddy Hackett.

I've been at work all day so no updates on the Dave and Sam 420, but I will keep you all posted.

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Or, if you wanted all of your questions answered you could just go to www.xmradio.com. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

IMO, it is definitely worth it.
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool!

Next time I'm at Best Buy, I'm gonna get one. I CAN'T STAND RADIO! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

All the radio stations across the country are the same. They play the EXACT SAME songs over and over.
    Plus, I'm 34 years old, isn't there a market for people my age? I recall, as a teenager all the media tried to do was appeal to the baby boomers. (The show Thirtysomething comes to mind...) Now, they're in their 50's and they're STILL being enticed! Or worse, the modern teens!

WTF? I guess the Generation X'ers are being overlooked....

Sorry for the rant....
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie