On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...i would say that these were the two most influential rockers of the eighties basically creating two much-copied metal sub genres: big smile blond haired singer/dark hair guitar god beach metal...and...powerful ass kicking marching off to war three power chord riff rock...
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a tough one, I'd say if you asked your average Joe, they'd say ACDC because EVERYBODY knows an ACDC song. But I think of anyone who knows a Van Halen song, they would say VH. I'd say VH, but I'm biased, however I can commend ACDC on finding a way to make the most out of the same song over and over. That's not a cut by the way, they've found a way to write the same song 20 times and make 20 hits out of it, and hell, I like them all too.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

...You are kidding right???
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most people know more VH songs than AC/DC songs. Average person knows Jump & Right Now vs. You Shook Me..

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

..yup i think 'e's kiddin'...as if...

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Two monumental bands. Two of my fave bands all time. I could go either way.

I will say this however- I am glad AC/DC got into the Rock Hall of Fame. Not only cuz they deserve it but I think this makes it easier for VH. I mean come on, if AC/DC gets in there is no doubt in my mind VH gets in. Both impacted the world of music but VH had Eddie(who reinvented guitar) and VH was more consistent and versitile as a band overall. So to me if one goes the other must go, and vice versa.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Badabing:
    Both impacted the world of music but VH had Eddie(who reinvented guitar) and VH was more consistent and versitile as a band overall. So to me if one goes the other must go, and vice versa.
    ...i seem to recall that i got into ac/dc a couple years before halen; i had heard highway to hell and kind of liked it, but was instantly recruited the moment i heard hells bells; i think ac/dc's formula of simplicity of sorts made them more accessible - you knew what you were getting; with van halen their diversity made them more unpredictable and hard to peg and thus not as instantly accesible if you were hearing say women and children or fw as your first vh sampling...
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

07.06.05 @ 06:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AC/DC is like a street hooker, Van Halen is like a high class call girl. They both have their charm, but they should NEVER be compared to each other!
    Buttocks and crotches and nipples with wings, these are a few of my favorite things!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by littleguitars_99:
    ...You are kidding right???
    He's gotta be kidding...
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ACDC may have retained their popularity a little better by not disappearing from the face of the earth, but Van Halen created a genre that, for better or worse, lasted a little over a decade, and still has its loyal followers even now (me included). While there were a few bands that displayed a little ACDC influence (Jackyl, maybe Dangerous Toys), they also had a little Van Halen in them. There were hordes of Van Halen rip-offs, however, and most of them owed nothing to ACDC. Finally, Van Halen only had one album not go multi-platinum, and ACDC has had a ton not even reach platinum. Granted, Back in Black is the biggest seller between the two bands, but VH easily averages more per album. ACDC doesn't have the musical talen, nor the creativity of Van Halen, but they do have their niche, and it's a good one, but I'd say VH had more influence over all.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VanHalen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I remember right AC/DC has only had one album Not Go platinum, and that was Fly on the wall. And sorry to say if I had to put that album up against VanHalen 3 (which only sold 400,000 units).......Fly is WAY better. To say AC/DC hasn't had multiplatinum albums like Van halen is stupid. The last time I checked AC/DC has sold over 120 million albums world wide.And still sells out stadiums. The last time they were in the bay area, they sold out the San Jose arena, Oakland coliseum and the concord pavilion.
    The first conert I ever saw was Day on the green in 77 or 78.......ac/dc opened and Vanhalen followed, I was instantly struck by both bands and they remain my favorites.
    The one thing I always liked about AC/DC is they walk on stage like they are walking into a room full of friends.
    Malcolm Young has said in interviews that Eddie Vanhalen was the most talented musician he ever met, And eddie said in Kerrang magazine that Brian Johnson was the funniest man he ever met, and his favorite front man.
    Trying to get a fight going over who is best is stupid, they obviously respect each other. And have played the same stages together.
    Dave Meniketti told me once that Eddie and Alex showed Brian Johnson the best Train store in the world when they were in Holland together, and Brian visits there all the time.
    Malcolm Young also stated that Eddie was really shy, like himself, and shocked him with his ability to play the blues.
    I do wish the guys in vanhalen were more accessible to their fans like AC/DC. If You go to Sarasota Florida, You will probably run into Brian or Cliff, and they are friendly and will most likely take you out for a beer.
    Vegetarian is Indian for Lousy Hunter.<br />Opinions are like Assholes everybody has one

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gotta agree. As I said, two of my all time fave bands. Although EVH has said Bon Scott is his fave rock & roll singer, not Brian. I am sure he digs Brian too, but he has always said Bon was his dude.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

AC/DC had a string of horrible, forgettable albums in the 80's, VH had none. "Flick of The Switch," "Fly On The Wall," and "Blow Up Your Video" are shit. End of story. Oh and VH 3 has sold over 500,000 copies. Rag on it, fine, but get your facts straight first at least. There's nothing good on "Fly" horrible, horrible record. I'll put Ed farting up against that album.

AC/DC had a revival after "Razor's Edge," but they were not a relevant band at all in the mid-late 80's. How quickly you guys forget, amazing. In fact, I remember feeling bad how crappy they had gotten when I saw them so desperate for airplay, they made a video in '86 for a 6-year old song "You Shook Me All Night," just because they did that soundtrack to that awful "Maximum Overdrive" movie. They hit rock bottom IMO with that.

How AC/DC was able to erase that era of complete mediocrity with its fans amazes me. But VH does one shit album and now they have fallen below a band that has played the same song for the last 25 years. And don't get me wrong, AC/DC has some cool stuff, but they've been pretty damn boring for a long time. And Bon Scott kicks Brian Johnson's ass all over the stage. "Back In Black" would have been even more killer with Bon on it.

Obviously I'm being hard on AC/DC, but I really am a fan, I have every album (except their last 2 or 3), even those shitty ones I mentioned. But I really think people seem to forget how far they fell in the 80's, they definitely had worn out their welcome for a good 6 or 7 years.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Adelaide,Australia, Home of the criminally insane
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 10:52 PM
    Liked 53 Times in 17 Posts

Well Im the biggest Van Halen fan so they will always get my vote, but some of you guys have to look out side of your own back yard, if you were talking of whos the biggest impact in the USA then it would be Van Halen all the time but unfortunately Van Halen has barely made a ripple in the rest of the world and it sickens me to see bands like Bon Jovi having world wide sales of 100 million plus (atleast 70% of there sales i bet are overseas), bands like Van Halen and AC/DC shouldnt be compared, just thanked, god knows what music we would have to put up with if it wasnt for these 2 great bands, no bullshit just pedal to the metal good old hard rock [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    What Me Worry !!!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good points by Brett as well.

Both bands kicked ass and had much success.
    AC/DC has about 20 albums in their catalog that sold a combined 63 Million copies in the US. VH has 13 albums that sold 50.5 Million in the U.S. Some say its much more but Warner Bros. hasnt re-certified their catalog. AC/DC has 10 multi-Platinum albums, VH has 12 consecutive multi-Platinum albums. Only the last one, VH3 in 1998, didnt go multi-Plat.
    VH owned the charts, something AC/DC didnt really do outside of BACK IN BLACK. By the way, BACK IN BLACK sold 19 MILLION copies here is America! That accounts for 1/3 of AC/DC's total sales!
    Unreal.
    Both bands survived a lead singer change so bonus for that. I give VH more points because they did it without relying on the Roth era tunes. How in the world VH was able to fire off 4 consecutive no. 1 multi-Platinum albums with Sammy(who is the complete opposite of Dave) and continue packing arenas without playing all those hits they had with Dave is beyong me! AC/DC would not have survived if not for the Bon era classics. Shit, even BACK IN BLACK was a Bon album that Brian got to just come in and sing on. VH began as a new band with a new sound with Sam. AC/DC basically stuck to their style with Brian and changed nothing. Hey, they are entitled. I just think what VH did was doubly hard.
    As I said, VH was much more consistent and versatile. But I love them both to death. Bon Scott was the SHIT. No disrespect Brian, but Bon is forever the man. If only Bon had jammed with Eddie VH back in the day! Just for one tune at least. God that woulda sounded amazing.

[ February 09, 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Badabing ]