Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    In the preceding months/years, since VH has been rather (completely) dormant, I thought that I would pose a thought and question for discussion. What do you think an Eddie Van Halen solo album would sound like?

I have thought about the question for a while and I think that Eddie would do something that wouldn't quite be what I would expect at first glance. First off, it seems that Eddie's solo spots or instrumentals tend to be some of the more eclectic parts of the records. So, I think we wouldn't hear anything like an Eddie Van Halen version of "Joe Satriani-style" instrumentals (i.e. a melodic guitar line over rhythm, with an extended guitar solo and back to the melody again). Eddie would probably produce something that takes a little bit more of a risk.

Being that Eddie also has a knack for incorporating other instuments, I would expect to hear an entire array of arranged instruments. Can you imagine the possibility of a string quartet with Ed on chello, bass, the 6 string bass he used on "Spanked" and a guitar? I can't either! But I like to think Ed would do something crazy!

I personally love the incorporation of the keyboards and piano with the guitar. Unfortunately, vocals tend to limit what one can do with keys and guitar without sounding too busy. That is why the songs end up being "sissy" sounding (even though I will go on record as really liking them). "New World" on III was absolutely amazing. Ed has incorporated natural harmonics during his entire career and in this song he has shown that he has absolutely mastered them. Also, "Respect the Wind" should have been renamed "I'm Shitting My Pants, I Can't Believe How F-n Great This Song Is." I love that tune and I thought that the keyboards were a perfect compliment to his soulful guitar playing.

I'd also like to hear some dark shit, like "Sunday Afternoon at the Park." I remember a discussion in here a long time ago how most people skip that song when listening to Fair Warning. What a shame. Well, I love it and the lead in to "One Foot Out the Door" was waaaaay before its time. God, I can't tell you how many club DJs and bands out here in San Francisco are playing stuff like that thinking they are doing it for the first time.

Anyway, I have a bazillion other thoughts on this, but this should be enough to get the ball rolling. What the hell else is there to talk about anyhow?

P.S. I will be happy with any kind of Eddie album just as long as he throws out those damned metal picks!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 965 Times in 386 Posts

eddie messing with all kinds of instruments would be killer...i'd say pick someone else to produce it is all

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member
    I have the perfect producer for Ed's instrumental album......Dweezil Zappa...or Lukather....

Dweezel would make it sound really weird though... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 965 Times in 386 Posts

dweezil?

ya think?

never know i mean shit. how bout quincy jones??

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Reckless Fable:
    In the preceding months/years, since VH has been rather (completely) dormant, I thought that I would pose a thought and question for discussion. What do you think an Eddie Van Halen solo album would sound like?
    Exactly like III minus Gary because that's what it was. He played all the instruments and bossed everybody around.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Darby:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Reckless Fable:
    Exactly like III minus Gary because that's what it was. He played all the instruments and bossed everybody around. </font>[/QUOTE]Or it may sound like, "Baluchiterium" or "Mean Street-intro" or "Cathedral" or "Respect the Wind." Hmmmm...or maybe he would be to busy bossing people around...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 AM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

Personally, I think an Eddie solo album would have all kinds of instruments. I think he would have:

1.) Eruption Part II
    2.) Keyboards
    3.) cello
    4.) probably have a song with him on drums
    5.) special effects

I think it would be pretty cool to hear him as Eddie the musician instead of Eddie the gunslinger (for a change). Don't get me wrong, I love Eddie the guitarist but I think there's more to him as a musician.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think an instrumental album would be great. In fact, it is so nice to hear songs like Baluchitherium and Sunday Afternoon w/o someone screaming and ruining the music. I wish many VH songs were left instrumental. I wish Act Like it Hurts was put on WACF.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Dave: Fair Warning Sam: 5150
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

An EVH solo album would be cool. VH3 was more or less just that. Eddie will never record with any drummer but Al. Mike is happy to be recording anything and getting the opportunity to play it live. So it would just be VH without a singer. But wait- could Mike sing? His backups are very good, what about lead? Edward supposedly has 5 albums worth of material written. However at the same time we are told he hasn't really "played" guitar in almost two years. He has been said to have devoted his time to piano and cello. So is this relly VH material he has written? I doubt it. And I honestly dont think Ed ever really wrote many lyrics until VH3.
    You can see a definate lyrical 180 between Dave and Sam eras. Dave solo stuff sounds like VH without Ed. Same story with Sammy. As I said in the last post-at this point,no Sammy= no VH. Either Sammy makes a comeback, or we see a Santana-type fiasco. It is all on Ed.

"I didn't leave the Beatles. The Beatles have left the Beatles--but no
    one wants to be the one to say the party's over."
    -John Lennon
    Man, all I can do is make music and put it out, and if people like it, they like it, and if they don't, they will sooner or later.- EVH

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

fable, i agree with everything you said. i think an instumental album by eddie would be fantastic. maybe he could get in on scoring a film or something, then spin an album off that. i'd like to see him get back to rock n roll with al,mikey and whoever, but at this stage in his career, there's nothing saying he can't do both if he wants to. of course that's a pretty big "if."

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member
    I know that it wouldn't be a commercial seller, but part of what really drew me to listening to Eddie was his innovative and experimental side. Eddie has taken a lot of risks with his music compared to most of his comtemporaries and it would be cool to see him leap completely off the cliff with a solo production and try to land on his feet...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.21.12 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think it would be great!
    I also think it would be a good chance for him to work with some other guys, like maybe Sheehan on bass for a track or two, maybe Steve Lukather jammin with Eddie on a song.
    Hook up with Satch and Vai and tour on the G3 tour for a summer!
    "I don't need no stinking click"

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Dave: Fair Warning Sam: 5150
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dooberdober,

Sit down. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Billy Sheehan is dead. Ceased to be.
    No more. He is an ex-person. Stone Fucking Dead.
    Playing bass for Elvis. Bummer, but still true.
    Man, all I can do is make music and put it out, and if people like it, they like it, and if they don't, they will sooner or later.- EVH

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.24.05 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Billy ain't dead. He's just resting.

And I quote:

"Not yet! Whoever wrote that is a puke. Ha!
    Yours,
    Billy "

His reply to my question asking if he was dead. Thanks, Billy!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This would excite me more than any Van Halen reunion or 4th singer. In fact, this would probably be my favorite VH record. Its always been about the music for me, not the singer- although Dave added fun and attitude. It would be great to hear Eddie play what he wants to play without worrying about sales or egos. I'm really getting into Buckethead's stuff and I can't help but think how cool it would be if Eddie went along the same route. Buckethead is on over 100 releases, mostly independent, ranging from Classical to Techno to Jazz with Miles Davis Band alumni. He plays whatever strikes him without regard to sales or trends and plays with musicians he admires: Les Claypool, Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Iggy Pop..to name a handful. Eddie should go at it alone. With all thats gone down in his life recently, I'll bet he is sitting on some amazing instrumental music that isn't VH enough or won't be released without lyrics. These records, as independents, would sell at least more than solo Sammy, Roth and Tribe of Judah combined. Eddie!Eddie!Eddie!