Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Take a look at what options VH (Mike, Al, Ed) has left:

1.) Bring Gary back- I'm not gonna bash the guy like everybody else did, but it just won't work. He's a great guy and a great singer, but he just doesn't fit with VH. I do like Extreme though.

2.) Bring Dave back- That's probably what the majority of people would like to see. And like the Tonedaddy guy said earlier, it would sell great for a short while, but nothing new would be accepted, and it would fall to the wayside and be just another "REO Speedwagon/Journey/Styx/whoever else got back together" tour. Dave's voice is a question, although I think he could solve a lot of his problems if he would quit trying to sing in Sammy's octave and sing in a deeper voice (damn Dave, do you have to compete with Sammy on everything?)

3.) Bring Sammy back- Sam does have the better voice of the 3, but I think the day of the high-pitched screamer is gone. I think Sammy would have the best chance at having his new material accepted because he's still got most of his chops and he does pop-friendly stuff. Maybe not what you want, but when you get the pansy songs on the radio, it opens people up to your other heavier-riffed stuff.

So that leaves one other option (other than retirement): Find another singer. Ed, Al, and Mike are some of, if not THE best musicians in rock that are out there. The only think that would keep these guys from being accepted in today's rock world is the guy that they stick out front. If you stick bald-ass freaky-looking Dave out there or Puffy-haired break-glass-screaming Sammy out there people are gonna just write them off as old farts. But if you find a young guy who is accepted or somebody who isn't a has been, maybe they would have a chance. I see this as the best option for commercial success. Now, as far as I'm concerned, I'd take Sam or Dave out there over anybody any day of the week, but I think we'd all like to see VH make another run at the top, it would make me walk a step faster everyday to see "my boys" kicking everybody's ass all over the rock world and making all these Blink 182, rap/rock, hippie band jackoff dildos on MTV realize who paved the street they ride their skateboard on........the guys that made it so jackasses like them could grab a guitar hold it all cute and call it a song. It's amazing to me that the less talent you have, the more successful you are today. Anyway.....back to my point. There are guys out there that could work with VH. Chris Cornell (if he isn't still doing that Rage crap) is awesome and the first one that comes to mind. The dude has pipes that are second to none. Anyway, just a point I thought I'd make........don't write off Singer Number 4 as the ultimate sin just yet.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I think Van Halen has had plenty of time to formulate a plan of attack in regards to who the next singer should be. It's time to put the plan into action.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later, Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After the concert I saw this summer, a fourth singer is the best option.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

A 4th singer can't be totally ruled out. But the odds of the guy pulling it off are very slim.

Fisrt of all let's immediately rule out Chris Cornell. There's no way he'd accept the job. If one of his best song, "The Day I Tried To Live", he sang:
    "The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change".
    Now this guy is not gonna sing "dance the night away", "beautiful girls" or "when it's love".
    Not in a million years. Melody-wise, he has the pipes to pull it off, but lyrics-wise, he comes from a different planet altogether. Too bad, but that's life.
    I think their option for a 4th singer would be an unknown young guy.
    Now you have to rememebr they wouldn't be the first to try that option. The following did;
    Genesis, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden.
    In all cases it was a failure. Most spectacular was Genesis going from Phil Collins and stadium to the Stilskin dude and disbanding.

Priest is still going on, and Ripper is a decent vocalist, but they are playing to 400 ppl average now.

So a 4th vocalist would have to accomplish a nearly impossible task.

Good luck to him, he'll need it!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I believe a fourth singer would be a HUGE mistake, if they go that route I believe they'll have to go with a relative unknown to avoid comparison with that singer's former efforts. People might have been more able to accept Cherone had they not had that "More Than Words" impression of him throughout--of course, I thought his voice was completely ill-suited for the band and the style of music they attempted to put out on III but that's a whole other story.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why not Sebastion Bach? The guy is only in his 30's and he's got the crazy Roth like personality.
    Van Halen R.I.P<br />(1974-1996)

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Phil Collins was Genesis' SECOND lead singer, not the first.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

VH are certainly capable of succeeding with a 4th. Like someone said previously, Ed/Al/Mike are some of the best musicians in the business and I can't see why they aren't able to continue making good music. Now the teenage buying public may not completely get sucked into it, because after all, what they like changes every day. Besides, VH has NEVER made an album to appeal to anyone but themselves. One bad album doesn't mean the end of the world.

Romeo Delight
    League City, TX (but living in the land of beer)
    Favorite VH Album

it depends
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One, Unchained, Right Now (yeah)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:
    Phil Collins was Genesis' SECOND lead singer, not the first.
    LOL

i can barely hold my laughter.

i think i'm gonna go listen to some nirvana. i saw them on tour last year, they're great. Dave Grohl is the best lead singer ever.
    "Yeah, I saw your girlfriend, and she told me to give you a message... mmph ummf ummm mfffh"<br /><br />IH8OU812 at the dlrarmy.....<br />former army mod (which means i got laid off)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

God bless you guys' VH support, but there is no way in hell VH will succeed with a 4th singer
    Eat Us and Smile!

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You know what though Hain? I'm not sure if I care whether or not they "succeed". The ONLY thing, deep down, that I really care about is whether or not I like what they put out. Yup, would be great to see them takin names and kickin ass, but, shit, that just means more hassle and $$ to get tickets to see them.

I have ZERO problem if they get a good #4 and play small gigs and sell 100,000 albums. Fuck the radio. Fuck the critics. I'd LOVE to see Ed, Mike and Al rockin out in a 3000 seater. Saw Sammy in 2001 at the Lowell Auditorium, 3000 seats if that, and it was a GREAT show. I'd take VH like that, with Sam or with a fourth, IF I liked the singer.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sebastian Bach has said on many occasions that he would kill to have the VH job. And he definitely has the voice to sing Sam, Dave, or anything. The problem is that some say he is a dick and I think he might be a little too much like Roth for Eddie's taste. I'd love to hear Bach, but at this point, I don't know if they should call the band Van Halen anymore, maybe change the name just to preserve the legacy. Maybe call themselves "Dysfunctional" or something. Sounds about right.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Nature Boy
    Member # 1039 posted September 06, 2002 08:31 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sebastian Bach has said on many occasions that he would kill to have the VH job. And he definitely has the voice to sing Sam, Dave, or anything. The problem is that some say he is a dick and I think he might be a little too much like Roth for Eddie's taste. I'd love to hear Bach, but at this point, I don't know if they should call the band Van Halen anymore, maybe change the name just to preserve the legacy. Maybe call themselves "Dysfunctional" or something. Sounds about right.
    When did Sebastian say this? I remember reading somewher a couple of years ago where he said something to the effect of "Well, if they didn't like Dave they damn sure ain't gonna like me" . So I was under the impression hat he did not want the job. I not saying he didn't say he would kill to have the job but I would like confirmation.
    He was my first choice three years ago as a fourth.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's one I found, I still can't find the article I remember the most though, I'll keep looking.

http://www.electricbasement.com/inte...stian_bach.htm