Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Dave: Fair Warning Sam: 5150
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking around the forum for a while and thought it was time to throw my two cents in.
    As far as we can tell,the only way we will ever see another Van Halen album is if Edward and Sammy can patch things up. It is apparent that Dave will never record with the band agian. Honestly, from alot of the boots that I've heard,
    Dave sucks live anyway(at least now). Put your guns away and stay with me. Dave was constantly forgetting lyrics, WAY offtime, and too busy shaking his a$$ to care about the sound. Dont get me wrong, I love the old stuff , but from a musician standpoint, you cannot deny Van Halen was better with Sammy Hagar. From a good-time party standpoint,they were better with Dave. But live, Sammy beats Dave hands down. And they cant go get another singer because then it starts to look like the Ed and Al Variety show. So come on guys, put your egos on the shelf for a few months and at the very least give us a farewell tour. Better yet, Eddie, get your a$$ to Cabo. Make up with Sammy and give us 25 more years of the best band in the world. Hell the Stones and Eagles did it.
    Man, all I can do is make music and put it out, and if people like it, they like it, and if they don't, they will sooner or later.- EVH

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

this is true

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 3
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    this is true

JMJ
    At last we agree on something JMJ
    "Jebe Ga"

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Good post, man...I really dont get this Sammy VERSUS Dave B.S. Look, Dave's a singer. Sammy is a singer. They each made their own musical contabutions to the band, each had their own style that made the Van Halen name work. So what if Sammy sold more albums than Dave did, or had more # 1 hits? You can't deny the years of great music that was put out by this great rock n roll band. They had fun together and we had fun at their concerts, right? Thats the one thing i've learned about rock, man..it's all about having fun...Peace out.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

right now no one is having fun

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fairwarning
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

03.03.08 @ 11:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have seen Van Halen live with David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, and Gary Cherone.

You can't bring back the past, but by God, Van Halen was the very best with David Lee Roth at the helm.

This I cannot deny.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

I beg to differ.

I think musically speaking they were better with Roth, unless you think "When It's Love" was ground breaking musical territory.

Maybe Sammy can sing scales around Roth, but scales do not make for art. ask Miles Davis.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Cool. I dont think this has ever been talked about. lol.

sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning / ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

SGMAD - STW - Unchained
    Last Online

08.11.12 @ 10:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To me what made early VH was...

1) VH with Roth was Sex, Drugs, and Rock-n-roll.
    2) It was about being a true rock star.
    3) A fresh new guitar sound and great music.
    4) It was a Friday night every night!

Sure Roth forgot a few words live in concert, but it really didn't matter because from '78-'84 I think most fans would agree it was about having FUN.

Party On! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

[ February 16, 2003, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: chris1dj ]
    I am the long lost 5th member of VH.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.08.15 @ 12:21 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

I was fortunate enought to have grown up with Van Halen's music from 1978. I got to see a lot of great live shows with both Dave and Sammy. I love both eras but, we are talking about the present.

Dave seems to be stuck in an era and he has gotten weird (like Michael Jackson). Have you noticed how MJ wants to hold on to an era wearing his militant marching band jackets. Hell, I can pull out some of my old parachute pants and grab a can of hair spray and jack my hair to meet Jesus but, I dont want to look like a baffoon. Come on Dave, snap out of it...get your chops back and quit trying to look like you just came off of the 1984 tour.

In closing...Sammy would be the better choice. the Guy is 50 and can sing like he's 20. I know Sammy needs to layoff the tacos a bit but hey, he still has it!!!!! Bring on Sammy!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Atomic Punk, Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 5150EDU:
    I have seen Van Halen live with David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, and Gary Cherone.

You can't bring back the past, but by God, Van Halen was the very best with David Lee Roth at the helm.

This I cannot deny.
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Yes he was, amen to that.
    "Hi, take the television, place it against your body, feel the sound of my voice, I'm Diamond David Lee Roth." -DLR

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To paraphrase Halenizer, I was fortunate to see the Roth era VH in full force a number of times and the Sam era on two occasions. Hands down the Dave era kicked ass because these guys were young, crazy sumbitchs out to rule the world and they did. No, Dave didn't sing all that well even then, but each one of those shows were an event to behold. With Ed, Al and Mike going 90 miles an hour Dave was the perfect frontman to the worlds largest backyard party. The Sam shows were a lot more restrained from an energy standpoint but the musicianship and vocals were a lot better.

As to what would work today, it would have to be a continuation of the Sam era. It's one thing to see a bunch of 20something guys out of control and partying to hilt; when they are pushing 50 however ...

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There is no denying Sam's voice sounds better than Dave's live. But I've got some boots and demo's, where Sam's voice sounds pretty crappy at times too. So I think it's a little overated at times.

But I think Dave and Ed wrote better songs than Sam and Ed did, but that's just my personal preference.

Whether Dave and Ed could still write great music, is another question all together.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Originally posted by chris1dj:

Sure Roth forgot a few words live in concert, but it really didn't matter because from '78-'84 I think most fans would agree it was about having FUN.

Party On! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    This is exactly the point that us "Redheads" make.
    Its not '78-'84 anymore. Its 20 figgin' years later! Sammy is still near the top of his game vocally Dave is,,,,, well you know.

People are quick to dismiss the "Van Hagar" era as cheese or love songs. You know what? If Dave had the voice to do a ballad, he probably would have. Ballads were becoming a quite common in mainstream rock & roll in the late 70's. You had such groups as Led Zeppelin, Kiss and Aerosmith all having a "ballad" on their albums.
    Van Halen came around and kicked everybody's ass with their style and sound. Yet, they were still not as loud and "heavy" as the Black Sabbaths, and Iron Maidens either. They just revolutionized the "hard rock" sound and kicked disco back to the underground.
    Remember both Eddie and Alex's main influences? They weren't "heavy metal" bands. They were into the same style of bands that Montrose fit into. So yes Sammy was a good fit for them musically.

We can all argue over who we thought was better, but when the dust settles when they finally do pack it in and have their diapers changed at the old folks home. Both Sammy and Dave have made their own legacys in both Van Halen and the rock and roll world that will never be denied.

Peace, (but lets kick Iraq's ass first) [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ February 16, 2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We can argue and debate until we die about which era was better, which songs, music, live, etc.

That will never change.

BUT in the RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, David Lee Roth can't cut it anymore. His pipes are shot. His act is weird. If he came back, it would be an embarrassment to VH.
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie