Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.08.15 @ 12:21 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

I'm 38 year old guitarist and have been a VH fan from 1978. Eddie seems to be in a catch 22 situation. (Sam or Dave) If Eddie reunites with Dave and it goes sour, it would probably kill any reunion chance with Sammy. Sammy will have too much pride. Ol'Dave is limited vocally.. Eddie has matured as a musician and knows he will be limited on what he writes (even though the Dave era had some of the greatest tunes ever!)

If he reunites with Sammy, that should do it for Dave(or he has no spine). It would be humiliating if Dave tried to reunite after 2 rounds with Hagar. Sammy made VH more commercial and I know that is a factor Eddie is weighing out. I bet his stress level is maxed out right now.

I do believe a tour with Dave would bring VH more money than they know what to do with but, I believe it would end soon after.

I believe a tour with Sammy would be successful(because its been so long without VH)and I believe the relationship would last longer. Possible 2 more albums.

This is just an opinion.....but who ever Eddie chooses, it kill any hopes of reuniting with the other.

What do you guys and gals think?
    "Who would ever believe a little dutch boy could create such a ruccous"

- Eddie Van Halen

Check out my band "Modern Relic" on youtube and Facebook

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Makes sense.

This will end up in the Opinions forum too.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Personally, I would like to hear one more album and see one more tour from the original lineup. Then after that they can go and do whatever they want. But after being teased in 1996 and knowing that there is new material from 2000, I cannot help but wanting one more for the road.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Good points Halenizer. I personally think there will be a reunion with Sammy.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ou812max:
    Personally, I would like to hear one more album and see one more tour from the original lineup. Then after that they can go and do whatever they want. But after being teased in 1996 and knowing that there is new material from 2000, I cannot help but wanting one more for the road.
    I agree. The thing was so shitty about '96 is that I never even imagined (before that year) that Dave would ever do ANYTHING with the band again. I listened to the Sammy music because I was still interested in the band, but there was always much to criticize. I went to see them in '95 because I thought it was my only chance to hear songs like PANAMA live. I somewhat accepted Sammy and somewhat enjoyed the stuff and knew all the songs. But I never was crazy about him. I thought, whatever. This is okay, since Dave is never coming back.

Well, when they teased us with that Reunion Fiasco, and then brought Gary in anyway, I knew that the band would never have my acceptance again unless Dave came back. And I knew that most of the world would react in a similar fashion, and they sure did. People wonder why Warners under-promoted VH3. Well, first of all, it was pretty shitty product. Second of all, wouldn't you be a little mad at Ed if he promised you the biggest hype in the world and then announced that it wasn't true? Warners probably figured, "Hey, if you don't care how many records you sell, why the hell should we care if you get promoted or not?"
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't know if I totally agree with this premise. IF Ed follows Sam's advice, cruises down to Cabo and hangs out with him and reignites that friendship, he could probably swing a reunion with Dave. He'd just have to "discuss" it with Sam as a friend, present it as a fan driven scenario, "I know it probably won't work, but I've got to try for the fans". Then, if it didn't work out, here comes Sam "to the rescue". Hell, Ed can jam at Cabo with Sam while the reunion is going on. Dave won't care, he's the one "back in".

Sam has repeatedly acknowledged that VH with Dave was some of the best rock ever. If Ed presented it to him as a fan driven scenario, I don't think he'd mind. I could be wrong, though.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.03.15 @ 02:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All of this assumes that Ed actually cares what the fans think or want, which is debatable nowadays. I think we've all made it pretty clear over the past couple of years that we'd like to know what the hell is going on. All we've gotten at best is little tidbits and teases from the Van Halen camp. As far as who, if anyone, will front Van Halen, I simply don't think Dave can pull it off. Face facts, he ain't got the pipes. I don't think Ed, Al or Mike would want to go out with him. Mike's already proven that by not playing with Dave on the recent tour. I saw Dave and Sammy in Nashville and Dave just didn't have it. Ed should take Sammy up on his invitation and head down to Cabo for a little fishing, and of course alot of rock and roll!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I'll never know what goes on in Eddie's reality [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed never matured (whatever that means) as a musician. The most complex song he ever wrote was "Outta Love Again" on VHII.

That's not bad a bad thing, but if anything his songwriting and guitar playing have grown staler and less innovative with age.
    ******************************<br />LIVE in front of your naked, steaming typefont - it's "STEVE" from the DLRARMY!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Live Right Here Right Now
    Favorite VH Song

Sucker In A 3 Piece, Poundcake, Get Up, and Anything Sammy!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Marion Barry:
    Ed never matured (whatever that means) as a musician. The most complex song he ever wrote was "Outta Love Again" on VHII.

That's not bad a bad thing, but if anything his songwriting and guitar playing have grown staler and less innovative with age.
    You got to be joking. Eddies plying and songwriting improved and matured once they got rid of Roth. Have you listened to Balance? That is clearly Eddies best playing to date. It is melodic and when he wants to it rocks hard! Amsterdam and Seventh Seal are perfect examples of pure Van Halen rock and roll. Then you got Dont Tell Me(What Love Can Do), a serious rocker with a message in Sammmys lyrics. Eddie needs Sam back now. Face the facts that is what Mikey wants and it is the only possible solution for the band to progress.
    How many number one cd's did Roth have with Van Halen? ZERO!!!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You got to be joking. Eddies plying and songwriting improved and matured once they got rid of Roth. Have you listened to Balance? That is clearly Eddies best playing to date. It is melodic and when he wants to it rocks hard! Amsterdam and Seventh Seal are perfect examples of pure Van Halen rock and roll. Then you got Dont Tell Me(What Love Can Do), a serious rocker with a message in Sammmys lyrics. Eddie needs Sam back now. Face the facts that is what Mikey wants and it is the only possible solution for the band to progress.
    blah... give me a break (oh dave???)
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Originally posted by lil'duffy:
    Eddie's best playing is "Balance"????????

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

how does playing soo many phrases that I've heard on all his other records mean "playing better"??

example--Big Fat Money --that song has just about every "trick" Eddie ever wrote all in the frame of that song.

go back and review the first 3 or 4 records Eddie wrote and you'll hear his best playing [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't Tell Me (what love can do) is a classic case of brain dead Sammy lyrics, my friend.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Live Right Here Right Now
    Favorite VH Song

Sucker In A 3 Piece, Poundcake, Get Up, and Anything Sammy!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:
    Don't Tell Me (what love can do) is a classic case of brain dead Sammy lyrics, my friend.
    brain dead? That song is about youth violence and drug abuse. He deals with a serious issue. Why bash those lyrics? They have more of a message then anything Halen ever did with Roth.
    How many number one cd's did Roth have with Van Halen? ZERO!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Originally posted by lil'duffy:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:
    brain dead? That song is about youth violence and drug abuse. He deals with a serious issue. Why bash those lyrics? They have more of a message then anything Halen ever did with Roth.</font>[/QUOTE]And that is why I prefer Classic Van Halen to Van Hagar because it was all about partying. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]