Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jan van halen

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.17.10 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm sure most of ya'll are familiar with the late jan van halen, who was eddie and alex van halen's father. he played clarinet on van halen's cover of "big bad bill is sweet william now" on diver down. i've heard he was asked to played live with van halen, but turned down the offer.

i've heard that he played live on the radio in holland/netherlands, before the van halen family moved to america.

does anyone here know if jan van halen ever made any other recordings besides his contribution to diver down?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Humans Being
    Last Online

10.26.13 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know Jan Van Halen was arrested for a DWI in 1970.

[ November 14, 2002, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: sampson simpson ]
    Pick up the fucking phone Eddie and call someone!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

no...but i do remember a funny little story.

VH was on "rockline" radio interview (for those who aren't familiar is/was a sunday night radio interview that was a staple for any and all musicians promoting an upcoming record/tour. i can still remember staying up 'til 1 in the morning on a "school night" just to hear my fav band riffing, joking and especially evading every question with nonsense answers, bold-faced lies and little DLR inspired "skits" if you will. by the way, EVH rarely appeared on these interviews... ah, the good ole' days.) but anyway, i digress. in one interview promoting Diver Down some guy with a thick southern accent called in to find out who that "chick" jan was that played clarinet on the album and that she really "wailed". the band naturally played along referring to jan as she/her and the caller was none the wiser.

i still have what seems like a dozen or so of these interviews and occasionally will listen to them. they still are very funny except now you realize how staged the whole attitude was and with twenty years of prospective are not quite as exciting as they used to be.

[ November 14, 2002, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: PAF ]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

being that "Jan" is Dutch- it is pronounced "Yaan" , right?

the "a" is a short vowel - so it rhymes with "Don" - and the "J" is pronounced like a "Y" -

maybe someone from Europe who posts here can correct me...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by 55starfire:
    being that "Jan" is Dutch- it is pronounced "Yaan" , right?

the "a" is a short vowel - so it rhymes with "Don" - and the "J" is pronounced like a "Y" -

maybe someone from Europe who posts here can correct me...
    Dude, we don't need to wait for someone from Europe to answer how to pronounce a friggin' name [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] It's actually pronounced "Pete"... Sheesh!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ALRIGHT... if someone knows FOR SURE regardless of your location, can you please correct me...

i said europe because i didn't want "joe redhead" from idaho to post- "yeah- i took a semester of german in high school, and that is how we would pronounce it in class 10 years ago- and germany is next to the netherlands, so you must be right, dude"

picky picky picky- argue about anything around here...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll confirm, it's pronounced “Yaan”.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by 55starfire:
    ALRIGHT... if someone knows FOR SURE regardless of your location, can you please correct me...

i said europe because i didn't want "joe redhead" from idaho to post- "yeah- i took a semester of german in high school, and that is how we would pronounce it in class 10 years ago- and germany is next to the netherlands, so you must be right, dude"

picky picky picky- argue about anything around here...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.11.15 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Then Shouldn't we pronounce it Vaan Haalen? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    That's how my mexican waiter at Peppers said it.
    Actually he said "Dots Bon Haalen, Bon Haalen!" (Pointing towards Mike)

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by PAF:
    no...but i do remember a funny little story.

VH was on "rockline" radio interview (for those who aren't familiar is/was a sunday night radio interview that was a staple for any and all musicians promoting an upcoming record/tour. i can still remember staying up 'til 1 in the morning on a "school night" just to hear my fav band riffing, joking and especially evading every question with nonsense answers, bold-faced lies and little DLR inspired "skits" if you will. by the way, EVH rarely appeared on these interviews... ah, the good ole' days.) but anyway, i digress. in one interview promoting Diver Down some guy with a thick southern accent called in to find out who that "chick" jan was that played clarinet on the album and that she really "wailed". the band naturally played along referring to jan as she/her and the caller was none the wiser.

i still have what seems like a dozen or so of these interviews and occasionally will listen to them. they still are very funny except now you realize how staged the whole attitude was and with twenty years of prospective are not quite as exciting as they used to be.
    LOL! I used to tape those too. I would also stay up late on a school night to listen. Rockline used to be really popular. I relived this old ritual when Sammy was on several weeks ago and it felt like old times. [img]smile.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sadly, rockline was cancelled last week.
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fraulines und Kinder First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Panzer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From a 95 Rollng Stone Interview

"What are your earliest musical memories?
    I always used to hear my dad practicing his clarinet downstairs back in Holland. At that time, it was difficult to make money playing his type of music. So he joined the [Dutch] air-force band, and he played marches. Every morning at 6 o'clock he'd have to go up there freezing his ass off and play marches. We'd listen to all those march records, and Al and I would parade around the table in the living room and take pots and pans, doing all that kind of stuff. And at night we'd hear him playing classical music downstairs. He loved classical and jazz.

Did he encourage you two musically?
    My father always wanted us to go into music, and my more didn't because she saw what a difficult job it was for him. My dad struggled his whole life. My mom just hated music because it led to such a fucked-up life, even though the fact that my dad did make music was what saved us. I mean, we played on the boat coming over here.

Literally?
    Yeah, my dad played on the boat, and Alex and I did our little piano thing as a sideshow. Dad would pass the hat, and we'd make another $20. We moved to the U.S. when I was 8, and my dad ended up having to walk, like, six miles from Pasadena [Calif.], where we lived, to the Arcadia Methodist Hospital to wash dishes because he couldn't make it playing music. He had, like, four jobs, and he would gig on weekends playing proms and bar mitzvahs, anything he could get. When we got here, his lust thing was to find us a great piano teacher. And he found this Russian guy named Stasskalvitis.

Did your dad figure you would he the next Buddy Rich?
    No, he knew I was just a rock & roll kid banging away.

When you finally did make it, how did your parents react?
    My dad, who died in 1986, would get tears in his eyes every time he saw us play. He loved it. He lived through us because he never really made it.

Didn't he play clarinet on "Diver Down"?
    He was so nervous, man. The beauty of it was that we were all just equals in the studio playing."
    Musical equipment I own dat legitimizes mein post. Tuba, clarinet, und electric glockenspiel.<br />Der Lord liebt einen beschäftigten Mann. Nicht vertrauen whitey. Sehen ein Doktor und erhalten gereinigt es.<br /><br />"You're a towel!" - Towelie

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Liamh3:
    Then Shouldn't we pronounce it Vaan Haalen? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    That's how my mexican waiter at Peppers said it.
    Actually he said "Dots Bon Haalen, Bon Haalen!" (Pointing towards Mike)
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    You can lead a horse to water, but that still won't make him a duck!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.30.06 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just some stuff I remember hearing about Jan... I believe he lost a finger or two and it depressed him later in life due to his lack of ability to play as he used to. David Lee Roth comes up w/the idea to include him on the recording of Big Bad Bill. After Dave's departure from VH and Jan's death, Eddie states that he wishes the tune hadn't been recorded and that the new lineup wouldn't be recording that kind of stuff(I'm paraphrasing here). Kind of strange... I know his father was probably thrilled to have been included what's Eddies's beef? Maybe there's more to this relationship than meets the eye... If anyone has the interview with Eddie discussing this track, please post it.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i remember eddie talking about how his dad had lost his fingers, and had dentures to boot - that the recording of 'big bad bill' was uncomfortable. i don't recall him slamming his dad, just pointing out that the old guy was upset he couldn't play the way he used to. plus, there's eddie's take on cover tunes and diver down in general. 'big bad bill' was always one of my favorites tho, and well-suited to dave's voice and persona.

when i was living in germany, i was talking music to a girl from france - trying to talk about rock n roll with most europeans is hopeless (maybe not the brits). i told her that the van halen bros. had immigrated from the netherlands, and she suddenly said "oh, vaahn haahlin." struck me funny. that was the same year i saw them open for bon jovi. i skipped after VH played.