Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.metal-sludge.com/20QuestionsLorraine.htm
    Not much....
    Just a few VH and Dave blurbs in Lorraine's interview. Obviously a big DLR fan.
    Something other than the obvious to read about.
    "We didn't fire him!!!! He quit!!!!"

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good article! I loved comment 12!
    "12. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
    The van halen brother's for treating dave unfairly after their brief "reunion"...."

I've been hearing about Van Halen all over the place: Questions on quiz shows and on prime time TV. Last week there on the Gilmore Girls (I was working out in the gym and it was on), a long haired guy created some trouble for a local merchant, and the merchant called him "Van Halen Hair." LOL

[ April 23, 2002 at 07:12 AM: Message edited by: LA ]</p>
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

i want to know how dave was treated unfairly in 1996.

it was crystal clear that nothing beyond the 2 new songs for the Best Of was promised. Not an album, and certainly not a tour. that was the word and everyone knew it. if you didn't know it, you were not paying attention.

then came the MTV awards. all of a sudden everyone forgot the truth when the band walked out together to present beck's award.

that audience - the biggest assemblence of posers i've ever seen - had the nerve to give VH a standing ovation when MTV had never so much as lifted a finger to deal with VH unless there was some dirt to report. i'll bet you no one there could name a single VH song besides "Jump."

So Dave gets a whiff of his former life as frontman of the greatest American rock band and can't shut up backstage, which pisses off Ed and Al and then, "bye bye Dave, you're a dick."

I don't care what Ray Danniels had up his sleeve at the time, and I don't think just because the band appeared on stage that night that they owed us a tour.

everyone knew eddie was due for a hip replacement.
    everyone knew at that point it was just 2 songs for the Best Of.. nothing more beyond that unless they took their time and could support a new album with a tour.

so when dave said "tonight's about me, not your fuckin' hip" i don't blame eddie one bit for being pissed. by all accounts, Dave blew it. believe what you want, but that's how it happened - unless of course everything i've read and been told by industry people is a lie. maybe it is.

all i know now is VH is barely on life support.

their former singers are touring together and the world at large is not even interested enough to laugh at all of them anymore.
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH (Translucent Red)
    1993 EBMM EVH (Translucent Yellow)
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang (Translucent Purple)
    2005 EVH Art Series Charvel (Red/White/Black Stripe)
    2009 EVH Wolfgang (Tobacco Sunburst)

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

"See, all I do is make music..." - EVH

"Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

You always find some VH references on tv, magazines and in newspapers. The classics never die.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VanEdge I couldn't disagree more. While I won't get into this, your story is the one told by Eddie (It almost seems word for word). Dave told quite a different story.

It seemed obvious to me anyway that VH played Dave just to help sell BOV1. They led him and the fans into believing he was back in the band and not just for those two songs.

I don't see how you could possibly believe otherwise.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:
    VanEdge I couldn't disagree more. While I won't get into this, your story is the one told by Eddie (It almost seems word for word). Dave told quite a different story.

It seemed obvious to me anyway that VH played Dave just to help sell BOV1. They led him and the fans into believing he was back in the band and not just for those two songs.

Maybe because he believed Eddie and not Dave. The only reason you think Dave, and the "fans", got screwed is because you believe Dave, not Eddie.

After the MTV appearance, which was the first "official" confirmation I had that Dave was "back", I had absolutely NO expectations of a reunion tour and album. I think Eddie was quite clear that there were only 2 songs and videos on the table at that time. Which part of that didn't you understand? I watched it, and I didn't think there was more to it, or that I got screwed after it fell apart. In fact, after it all fell apart, I chalked it up to Dave being a dick since he was a total dick to Beck by doing that.

Yes, FORD, apparently there is conflict between what Sammy, Dave and Gary all say and what Eddie says that supposedly points to Eddie being a liar about the timing and sequence of the singers, which you can then, if you choose, apply to everything under the "once a liar always a liar", but please, save it for "Law and Order". I wasn't in 5150 that whole time, I don't know who said what, and I don't give a fuck. I assume that, much like politicians, they are all lying in some way. I don't believe either side, and figure the actual truth is somewhere in between. And I think the ONLY party that really got "screwed" by all of this is Gary Cherone. Everyone else I'm sure had it coming to some extent. And, given how bad he sounded on 3, maybe he did too.

It's real easy to quarterback from the cheap seats.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like I said, I'm not going to get into this. I don't have the time. All I'll say is Dave's side of the story is much more believable.

I'll leave this for FORD to defend. I have to pack because I'm moving soon.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 21 Posts

Ahh, the 1996 fiasco debate.

Before the Ed-faithful come out in droves, there are a couple of things that cast some doubt on Ed's account of events:

(1) if I recall correctly, while always spouting about it being 2 songs "for now" (even while Gary was twisting at 5150), Al waxed poetically to Kurt Loder about how they were uncertain if the "magic" could still be there, but it was.

QUERY: why talk about "magic" with your old singer if it was a "one time only" deal?

(2) check out the packaging of BOV1, which referred to the new DLR songs as the future of VH.

Now, I expect that to be blamed on marketers or Ray Danniels, but, in light of his recent moves, I doubt that Ed Van Ulrich completely abdicated all responsibility.

[ April 23, 2002 at 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Smokin' 5150 ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by Smokin' 5150:
    Ahh, the 1996 fiasco debate.

Before the Ed-faithful come out in droves, there are a couple of things that cast some doubt on Ed's account of events:

(1) if I recall correctly, while always spouting about it being 2 songs "for now" (even while Gary was twisting at 5150), Al waxed poetically to Kurt Loder about how they were uncertain if the "magic" could still be there, but it was.

QUERY: why talk about "magic" with your old singer if it was a "one time only" deal?

(2) check out the packaging of BOV1, which referred to the new DLR songs as the future of VH.

Now, I expect that to be blamed on marketers or Ray Danniels, but, in light of his recent moves, I doubt that Ed Van Ulrich completely abdicated all responsibility.
    Like I said, I don't believe either of them totally. But, to play FORD's advocate for a minute, which by a nasty coincidence also means taking opposition to FORD:

1. I don't remember the "for now" part of the comment, but the FACT is, that since they did three more tunes in 2000 or so, it was 100% accurate, wasn't it? And, in response to your query, maybe because it WAS magic? Why NOT say it if it was? That has nothing to do with duration of the project. I took it as they were merely commenting on what had already happened, not necessarily on what may happen.

2. I never saw that. If that's how it was packaged, score one for the anti Ed crusade, can't completely blame management and label for that.

Look, it all depends on who you believe and your own perception. I saw the same MTV scenes everyone else did, and I disagree that they were misleading us. I never got the impression this was more than a short term reunion. I never got the impression it was anything one way or the other. They could have, I suppose, said it was two songs, period, we have a new singer and it's done, but that would have been pretty stupid. Y'all probably then would've criticized them for throwing a wet blanket on the party. Whined that they could've at least let us dream for awhile, right?

Again, let me reiterate, I don't believe any of them. Ed and Al kept quiet when maybe they should've been more up front, Dave was his usual self going 100 miles an hour down a path that was never there. Who knows.

[ April 23, 2002 at 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Incredible Edible Dude ]</p>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Edge, ect:

Isn't the way the Lying Dutchmen have treated the fans in the last 3 years enough indication to you?

I mean come on !! If they lied to the fans, they lied to Dave as well.

Some people are willing to believe anything.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

1 thru Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.07.15 @ 12:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look... the bottom line is that the majority of the fans want Dave back. They(VH) were cut some slack when Sammy joined the band, but that was it! Ed can "DO" whatever he fucking wants to, but if he want's it to be sucessful, it's gonna have to be Dave in VH, Period. Barry the Bone was a perfect example, the fans aren't going to stand for anything less than Van Halen with David Lee Roth! You know, .... and will the real Van Halen please stand up!!!!!!!
    The Pumpkinhead!

"After three decades you still don't get the fact that VH the band was greater than the sum of all of its parts -- and those parts fit perfectly together, especially in the CVH lineup." - Delighted Romeo, Hit the nail right on the God Damn Head!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by Poundcock:
    Van Edge, ect:

Isn't the way the Lying Dutchmen have treated the fans in the last 3 years enough indication to you?

And when exactly did they lie to us?

Jesus fucking Christ, you guys are actually making me out to be a fucking ed apologist. STOP IT!!! They are not perfect, but they ALL are so far from these evil conspiracy laden manipulators. They are fucking rock and roll musicians, who aren't fucking bright enough to pull off some of these stunts. And that includes every living or dead member there ever was of Van Halen. They are uneducated, burned out, not too many brain cells left, dudes who can play/drum/sing/write some music, and you people are acting as if they ar fucking PT Barnums out to rake the public. They aren't that smart!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Poundcock:
    Van Edge, ect:

[/QUOTE

some people are willing to believe everything - you make that statement true blue.

show me where van halen has lied. show me. they haven't talked, that's for sure. but that's not the same as lying unless you are asked a direct question and do not answer. AND there's no way in hell i'd take anything dave has said as gospel truth. i've been following this band for 20 years and it's been painfully obvious who the bullshitter has been the majority of the time.
    -VanEdge

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:

The MTV Video Awards that year told its own story for us to watch and decide. IMO Dave was a total dick and even though Beck was really cool about it, Dave looked like an ass in front of millions of people and flat out embarrassed the rest of the band. At the time I couldn't blame Ed one bit for canning him again.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

it is also widely known within industry circles what went down backstage. that's when "tonight's about me, not your fuckin' hip" was spoken by dave and he drove himself out of contention quicker than you can say Extreme.
    -VanEdge