Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is for brett and you can close this any time you like. i tried to e-mail you directly, however, for some god known reason it doesn't work..it is probably this piece of crap computer. anyway...the other day there was a thread started by that nanon dude and you mention that i defended him and that i do it hourly.

first off, the post i did in that thread is the first and only time i posted anything to do with him. secondly, although he went the completely wrong way about things, he had a point in all the bullshit. no where did i respond to any of the crap that was been said, i addressed the issue and only the issue...beleive it or not, not every person thinks that the reunion is a good idea..i am not one of those persons, but they are there. their opinion is that it is a backward step both lyrically and musically live wise. it is a fact that although the van halen shows previous to 1986 were brilliant, live wise was very hit and miss, with timing out, words (sometimes entire versus) left out, etc. the sammy era was known for the live music. it was a very reasonable question that was asked in a river of bullshit and without the slightest hint of social decorum, however, i answered the question..left the name calling to others.. and all of a sudden i am supposely defending this guy. bullshit.

i have said it before and i will say it again, is this a place that if you have a different view to the majority, you are shouted down and abused.

you and the mods have done a magnificant job with this sight, however, if i or anyone else that has a different view, or more importantly and is the case in my instance, wants to discuss that view, are we going to be labeled homosexual, told to fuck off, and have topics closed. i know that you are concerned about threads such as that one getting out of hand, but can't we all get past the name calling and dicuss the topic. it is interesting that people are abused so often because people hide behind a computer and distance. if there are a group of people sitting at the pub having a beer and someone says something you disagree with in discussion, what..do you tell them to fuck off. if you do, that tells me two things about that person a) they have zero social skills and should for the better of mankind remain at home, and b) from where i come from, if you said that, you would cop a punch to the side of the head. point been that it is not necessary in most cases to abuse someone, agree to disagree and keep on going.

anyway, just though i'd clear it up. once again, sorry about putting this in the main.

[This message has been edited by peavey5150 (edited September 19, 2000 at 09:06 PM).]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah! What he said! Talk about hit and miss.....did you see Dave try to sing 'Unchained' and the US Festival? There was more 'miss' than 'hit' on that one! That was amazing....not the performance....just the fact he could still stand after drinking that much Papa Jack! Of course, when your rich and famous, that kind of performance can be glossed over with "He's so cool!" and "Wow, what attitude and showmanship...." A bar band would get "How about givin' me my money back...."

As to whether or not the reunion is a good idea...........well, they haven't done much since the first attempt.....one word can describe their post '96 happenings: malaise.

Firing Mr. Hagar broke the bank.

Suddenly, Sammy's work ethic (we are about to hit the 3 to 1 studio release ratio...) doesn't seem so bad.

:-p

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peavey5150:
    if i or anyone else that has a different view, or more importantly and is the case in my instance, wants to discuss that view, are we going to be labeled homosexual, told to fuck off, and have topics closed. i know that you are concerned about threads such as that one getting out of hand, but can't we all get past the name calling and dicuss the topic. it is interesting that people are abused so often because people hide behind a computer and distance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't speak for Brett, but I think I can generalize a little about this.

We try our best to keep things civil. I don't think we (as mods) try to limit discussion to popular points of view. We honestly don't mind what your view is on Van Halen and related subjects, but do care that people respect each other to a reasonable degree. We can't control what users post, as we generally don't edit or delete people's postings. What we do do is close topics that have degenerated to the point of name-calling, and without any content.

Perhaps we close some topics too quickly, or because we expect trouble based on responses the topic has gotten previously. We've seen most everything come up (many times over) and some topics just seem to cause trouble. Newer members might not have seen those subjects before, and might not understand why we react to them the way we do. Something to think about, I guess.

As for the computer being impersonal, well, that's true in a lot of ways. But not always. I consider quite a few people here on the 'Links to be friends. This has become as much a social place as it is a place to discuss Van Halen. The Non-Music Meeting Place is a great example of all of this.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well,im not a mod,havent even been here long,but i say just remember that people tend to say things they dont mean,or even say things about something they havent even had a chance to go over completely yet,and there for may be wrong.thats not only on a computer,thats anywhere.sure ive been mad before and post something i shouldnt, as does everyone,the point im trying to make is...just let it go,unless it starts being a habit,no need to take offense so easily.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:07 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    The question of wether Dave is up to this reunion is certainly a valid one IMHO. But surely it can be expressed without the nonsense that nano dude was carrying on with..

I know this might suprise some people, but theres no grand moderator conspiracy to keep some subjects taboo. All we try and do in most cases is keep things from disintergrating into flame wars - these have their place, and can be fun, but the world of VH on the web is already overserviced with this kinda stuff, I guess we try and provide an alternative.

Theres cause and effect too - if you express an opinion that you know isnt gonna go down well - theres gonna be a backlash of some sort.. for that reason alone theres some topics that are just virtual red flags.. As much as some topics would make a good discussion, theres just no way its gonna happen without blood being shed so to speak. Usually we try and let them go as long as we can, but that often means they dont last long at all

Anyway moving this to feedback for Brett to address the specifics you have bought up.

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...