Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the next one
    Favorite VH Song

the next one
    Last Online

07.05.08 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back when Gary was in the band, I won a radio station contest here in Boston, and got to be in the studio when they interviewed Gary. Anyway, here's the part that needs clarification:

I heard with my own ears Scotty Ross saying to one of the DJ's off-air that on the first few records, the high pitched screams were actually Michael Anthony, not DLR, because they "came out clearer"

Now before you jump all over me and say how different their voices are, didn't you ever hear a person from England or Ireland and they have no accent when they're singing?

The other thing I don't understand is why would Scotty say it if it wasn't true?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As for DLR's voice, it's no secret that he had "trouble reaching certain ranges". In fact, I read several interviews where Edward's main complaint was that it took dozens of takes before Roth could actually lay down a vocal track that was acceptable for "Me Wise Magic" and "Can't Get This Stuff". Plus, if you've ever heard Roth live, you know that he has had a lot of studio "help" in the vocal department. His voice is basically raspy and sounds, well, shot.

To Michael's credit, he has amazing range and I feel as though he should have (or should, in the future) done more lead vocals). Michael's voice is really under utilized in VH!!! Next to Edward's "brown sound", I love the harmonies that Michael and Edward to together (most of them being Michael). Who knows about Scotty Ross, I don't imagine that he would have a reason to lie.

I too have noticed that singers from Ireland or England sound like they don't have an accent when they are singing. Does anyone know why? I thought it was just me....

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess it depends on what exactly he was refering to. The raspy high pitched screeches were definitely Dave ("Wow" or "Oh yeah" - stuff like that). Maybe he was talking about blending Dave and Mike together. Or maybe he meant it was Mike live - I know Mike did some high pitched screams live. Or maybe he was high. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

look at Live Without A Net, Mike does the high scream at the beginning of Ain't Talkin' Bout Love...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the next one
    Favorite VH Song

the next one
    Last Online

07.05.08 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I got the impression he was talking specifically about the actual albums, but who knows?

Thanks for the input...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Roth did the James Brown cougar like screams but Mikey does the very high pitched ones. Think the chours of "On Fire". It's a blend, but Mikey's voice id higher.

This is nothing new. If your a Queen fan you know for the most part, Roger Taylor is the one that hits the extremely high notes. That doesn't reflect badly on Freddy IMO.

For lead it just comes off better to have a more midrange vocal. (Unless your a big fan of Rik Emmett or old school Geddy Lee.) Higher doesn't equal better.

Now if you want to get into who's a better vocalist within a band. Ritchie Sambora is a much better singer than Jon Bon Jovi!
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    Now if you want to get into who's a better vocalist within a band. Ritchie Sambora is a much better singer than Jon Bon Jovi!
    Duh!

No shit. Jon is good, yes. But, Richie is far and away better than Jon. His best vocals being on "Stranger In This Town". [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to admit that the first time I heard "Me Wise Magic" I thought the high parts must have been done by Mike. But its Dave. I dont think the higher pitched stuff suits Daves range at all. But then again sometimes balls can weigh down on a vocal range. Funny enough, Sammy can hit the
    high notes no problems.

[ October 31, 2002, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Daved Mikalex ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not trying to bash anybody, but for the love of God Dave is a baritone. Just because he has a lower range doesn't mean he doesn't have range. Earlier in his career Dave was able to sing out of the baritone range, but because of age and other factors he cannot do it anymore. If you hear him sing baritone, he still sounds good. All the touring VH did in the early days combined with Dave singing outof his range probably contributed to his voice being damaged.

Now before the Redheads bash me I am not saying that Dave is a better technical singer than Sammy, just saying that alot of people bash Dave for not being able to reach high notes that in reality he had no business reaching earlier in his career anyway. The fact that as a baritone he can even hit the notes even 25 years ago for songs like Runnin' with the Devil and I'm the One is to me impressive.

Just because a guy is a baritone doesn't mean he has less range. Just because Sammy (a tenor) can sing higher doesn't necessarily mean he has more range, range works both high and low.

When Mitch Malloy was trying out for the post Sammy VH gig he said that the Sammy songs were easier for him to sing than the Dave songs because like Sammy he was a tenor, while Dave is a baritone. That is coming from a professional singer, not some donkey on a message board like me! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ October 31, 2002, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Dave's Dradle ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Daved Mikalex:

Funny enough, Sammy can hit the
    high notes no problems.

We all know that he can, he has a great range. The problem for me has always been that when he hits those high ones it just sounds like screaming to me. I'm sorry to all of you Sammy fans, but that's my opinion.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Mike did a bunch of the high screams on the early stuff. On Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, that's Mikey. At the beginning of Jump, that's Dave.

I never quite understood why screaming is considered such a skill among us. It doesn't have that much to do with vocal range anyway. Anyone can scream, and anyone can scream higher than they can sing.
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's easy to tell Dave's screams from Mike's because Dave's usually have two notes sounding at the same time. Back in the old days, Dave used to be asked how he did this and he always said it was the cigarettes and whiskey.

On the other hand, while Dave's scream was raspy and contained many tones, Mike's high scream is a classic false falcetto scream - one high pitch. It can be heard in On Fire and Loss Of Control as well as on numerous annoying occasions in Live Without A Net.

Now if you want to here where Dave came up with that technique, take a listen to the beginning of Deep Purple's Highway Star and tell me that doens't sound like Roth!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    look at Live Without A Net, Mike does the high scream at the beginning of Ain't Talkin' Bout Love...
    Well of course he does, Dave wasn't in the band for that video.

And there is no scream at the beginning of that song on the album version, just live.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Mikey's backround vocals RULE!!!!!!
    Yes you can tell the difference. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

5150, Women In Love
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Ou812max:
    Originally posted by Daved Mikalex:

Funny enough, Sammy can hit the
    high notes no problems.

We all know that he can, he has a great range. The problem for me has always been that when he hits those high ones it just sounds like screaming to me. I'm sorry to all of you Sammy fans, but that's my opinion.
    Don't apologize for your opinion. As fucked up as it is , you're entitled to it, just like the rest of us man! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ October 31, 2002, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: aftershock5 ]
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED!