Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First time poster, long time lurker....sorry for the long post, but I hope it strikes a chord with a few others on this board.
    ------------------------------------
    As we watch Sammy and Dave tour the country it makes me think about what could have been with Van Halen over the past MANY years. Not too long ago Eddie had another birthday. Heís somewhere in his late 40ís. Well Iím in my early 40ís, and a Van Halen fan ever since Diamond Dave strapped on his leather chaps. There are a few things Iíve learned as Iíve gotten to my 40ís that I wish Van Halen Ė the band - could learn:

Iím thankful that I can forgive and forget what happened between co-workers and me when we were in our 20ís. We were different people at that age. Maybe I didnít understand them, or they didnít understand me, but I can happily admit that age and inexperience resulted in a lack of wisdom on my part in how particular situations should have been handled. I know that if I crossed paths with these people again I would want a chance at a clean slate Ė from their and my perspectives.

I realize now that the team is more important than a particular player. I hope Iím not only willing, but also proactive in sharing credit for work thatís been accomplished. At this age Iíve figured out it doesnít need to be ďIĒ or ďmeĒ. Iím secure enough in who I am to share credit, and revel in what ďweĒ accomplished Ė as opposed to pointing out what ďIĒ accomplished, or minimizing someone elseís role in the teamís success. I realize being part of a successful team and creating a bond with team members is something to treasure and doesnít happen every day.

No one succeeds by himself or herself. Everyone has people who step in and, in the foreground or background, help us along. I hope that I would never punish those who supported and helped me succeed because of immaturity on my part. They donít deserve it Ė and they certainly deserve my respect and admiration. I only hope that I can repay them.

I donít want to waste my life-energy on things that are unimportant. We only have so many years and so many opportunities. I know I missed some opportunities along the way. Now I hope for the good fortune not to miss any more!

I hope at the end of the Sam and Dave tour (or Dave and Sam tour as some of you would call it) that these guys become friendsÖnot ďcall me every dayĒ friends, but guys who respect each other, and realize that they were each part of something very special - just at different times. Wouldnít it be great if, at the end of their tour, they came on stage together at the last performance, shook hands, and said a big ďTHANK YOUĒ to the fans?!? (Thatís right, the peons that have been buying Van Halen albums, t-shirts, and concert tickets over the last 20+ years)

I think the Sam and Dave tour is showing who the bigger men in Van Halen really are. Maybe it wasnít that way in í85, or í93, but it should still count for something if itís nowÖI donít worry about the attendance, or the money they are making. Regardless of that they are giving people what they want, and from the concert reviews, they arenít sleepwalking through the tour. They are rockiní it just like they did when each fronted the greatest American rockín roll band of all time.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good post, and welcome. Your wisdom indicates one thing - maturity. I don't know if the members and former members of VH have any - let's hope they do.

[ June 25, 2002, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: BigBadBrian ]
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great fucking post!!!!

(And I say that with all the maturity of a 30 year old!)

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I sometimes wonder if there aren't some "life lessons" that us non-rock-star types learn by working with people of all types and ages in different situations. Things that rock stars don't learn as quickly, since they seemingly spend a majority of their time on the road and in studios with admiring fans and industry people that kiss their butts. They don't have to answer to anybody - at least until the record sales start slipping. Then they seem to get "real" again in a hurry.

Great post.
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

01.30.06 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GREAT post Bomber! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Welcome! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I wish that most of the members of this board start getting a bit more serious, the bashing should come to an end. Let's hope Sam & Dave become friends and what other way could they do that AFTER the tour by jamming together at the Cabo Wabo Cantina!!!! That would ROCK! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] bounce:

PEACE! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You go there once, you'll be there twice" CABO WABO!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.12 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unlike the past and present members of VH, your emotional development wasn't stunted by decades of unabashed fan worship, self-imposed isolation and irresponsible substance abuse.

Rock Stars aren't exactly grounded in reality - which is why they're so damn entertaining. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Way Too Difficult
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

Tremendous post Dive Bomber. The only problem with the maturity issue is that maturity itself does not manifest automatically as consequence of ageing. I'm 33, but if I were truly honest with myself I can't say I've attained a higher level of maturity in comparison to when I was 17!!! Of course, none of us know exactly what's gone on within the walls of 5150, so we can't say with any conviction who has been the most/least immature.
    Salt shaker, little lick a lime...

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Great post, but with one catch. I think the VH brothers, right or wrong, are under the impression that Dave hasn't matured, and never will. I think their first choice would be to get the Dave version back together, but that seems the least likely.
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Any
    Favorite VH Song

Any
    Last Online

04.19.12 @ 08:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a well thought out post, but I think its only logical flaw is that it assumes 2 people who can't stand each other are "getting along" They aren't. They're simply united in the dislike for the band that spurned them and the love of $$. I think the fact "the brothers" aren't saying anything is pretty classy, even if it is frustrating to me as a fan. Hell, Dave and Sam are playing up their rivalry in order to sell more tickets, and most of the people buying them are wanting to be there if/when it all blows up or they're trying to relive the past.
    Into every life, a little Halen must fall

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Great post bomber. I think all of us on this board wish that all the collective members of the extened Van Halen family could take a step back and look at the situation with the same clarity you have. I know I do. Life is too short.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Wow man! Great post... There should be more people like you on this board Welcome!
    ďAnd what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever Ė that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both Ė thatís intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.Ē - David Lee Roth

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Interesting thoughts, and personal thoughts like this we try to reserve for the Opinions forum. Continue this topic over there. [img]smile.gif[/img]