Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://www.tennessean.com/entertainment/music/archives/02/08/20665877.shtml?Ele ment_ID=20665877

Rockin' rivalry

FILE PHOTO
    David Lee Roth's, left, wild persona hasn't changed much since he shot to stardom as Van Halen's frontman more than 20 years ago. He'll go song for song with Sammy Hagar, right, tomorrow at AmSouth Amphitheatre.
    By KEITH RYAN CARTWRIGHT
    For The Tennessean

Do they hate each other? Or do they hate Eddie Van Halen? Song for Song: The Undisputed Heavyweight Champs of Rock and Roll tour, featuring former Van Halen front men Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth, rolls into AmSouth tomorrow.

There's been a lot of ink wasted and a lot of blood spilled over which loud, proud singer led Van Halen to greater heights.

Of course, both left or were dismissed from the band in rather acrimonious ways. And both have said some rather nasty stuff about each other. You can't be self-effacing and low in ego and lead a rollicking band like Van Halen, you know.

Media reports have had the tussling and tousled twosome not talking to each other for the whole tour. Hating each other. Is it real? Or is it just a circus act to sell tickets?

We aren't telling you. You judge for yourself after reading the following early-morning conversation with David Lee Roth.

You're five minutes early! How rock and roll is that?

Ha, ha, like a thunderbolt in your Cheerios, son. Wake up and smell the toxic waste. Actually, I haven't been to sleep since the late '80s. How do I look?

Are you kidding? You look great.

I think it's more the lifestyle. What I represent is attitude, point of view. If you hate me, then you hate your most favorite parts about yourself. Ozzy is the Prince of Darkness and I'm the Patron Saint of Larceny. Who would you rather be?

What did it take for you to agree to do this tour?

It was I who called (Irving) Azoff, Sammy's manager, and said, ''Hey, let's get this on.'' Other people have had the idea at other times, but much like your favorite ethnic-based comedian joke, it's all about t-t-timing.

Has there been a point before or during the tour that you've talked to Sammy?

Can you define talk? Because we're not ''not talking.'' (Laughs) There's a rivalry that from my position is no more than some friendly head-butting for your listening and dancing pleasure. It's a constant build-up for a fight that never really happens. The worst you ever see out here are some threatening slaps, followed by cheers, group therapy and an elaborate reunion tour and a commemorative T-shirt. Sammy and I get along fine, but there is a competitive mix-it-up that the audience needs to get right in the middle of.

Because it's such a debate between fans rooting for classic Van Halen and the Van Hagar-era, is that debate helping drive and propel this tour?

It's NASCAR! Are you here to see the winner or the guy who crashes? Don't answer. Just buy the shirt. We live in a Fred Durst world based on celebrity boxing and it's a full-contact episode of CNN . . . I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I'm an intellectual slut. I like smart smut. And the music has always come first. The songsmithing and the crafting of lyrics is deceptively simple.

A few years back, Eddie said fans don't want a Van Halen reunion. Does the success of this tour speak volumes to the fact that Eddie doesn't know his own fans?

That's an interesting question.

I just think he's lost touch with reality.

OK, lets key off of that. The most traditional approach or at least regression is to pull an Elvis. And put Elvis in quotation marks and pretend like it's a verb. (laughs) He ''Elvised!'' Ultimately, the tinfoil goes up in the hotel window and it's, 'Thank you very much,' but Elvis has left the building. How are you going to recognize if the world is revolving around you if you haven't seen the world?

Since Eddie has indeed ''pulled an Elvis'' as you say, would you still be willing to rejoin Van Halen?

At some point down the line, if they're prepared to do the exact right thing, but there's an incredible high arch of excellence and not terms of perfection. There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that.

When's the last time you spoke to either of the Van Halen brothers (Eddie and his brother, drummer Alex)?

Oh, years ago.

That's a shame.

I'm about right here, right now. What the Van Halens are about is wasted time. If you think one second isn't valuable, then ask the little girl who just missed getting a gold medal at the Olympics by one second. If you think one month is not valuable to somebody, then ask the lady who just had a premature kid how valuable that month is. Eddie Van Halen and his sister have wasted years.

Speaking of right now, this tour is billed as the Undisputed Heavyweight Champs of Rock and Roll, and given the total length of the tour, I'd say you're about eight rounds into a 12-round fight, who's winning?

In terms of the whole celebrity-boxing thing, I think I saved Sam from having to do that for a living. Besides, he outweighs me by, what? Thirty kilos?

Getting there

Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth perform beginning at 7 p.m. tomorrow at AmSouth Amphitheatre. Tickets are $15-$47, available through Ticketmaster (255-9600) or through the box office.

[ August 02, 2002, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is from the day before...

http://www.tennessean.com/entertainm...nt_ID=20631557

It's David and Sammy, minus the Van Halens
    By KEITH RYAN CARTWRIGHT
    For The Tennessean

Sure, David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar are playing together here this weekend. But there's zilch chance that the supergroup they both fronted, Van Halen, would ever get together with them both again.

Or is there?

''I would really like to see if we could pull it off, a reunion with Dave and Sammy,'' Michael Anthony, the group's bassist, says.

Saturday, however, fans attending the Roth/Hagar concert at AmSouth Amphitheatre will have to settle for the two without Eddie Van Halen and his brother, Alex.

Instead, they'll get a predominately classic Van Halen set from Roth and a mixed set of solo material and Van Halen-era hits from Hagar. Anthony, who'll perform with both, says fans are happy for an approximation of the group.

Much has been written about the feud between Roth and Hagar, as well as the differences between the two frontmen and the Van Halens. Roth, in tomorrow's Weekend section of The Tennessean, says he and Hagar ''get along fine'' and that he'd consider reuniting with the group if ''they're prepared to do the exact right thing.''

What that ''thing'' is has yet to be clarified.

For now, it seems a Roth reunion is still a long shot. Eddie's health and personal life are in turmoil. And Roth hasn't even spoken to either of the Van Halens ''in years,'' he says.

''The whole thing is really frustrating,'' Anthony said. ''You know, unfortunately, some things that seem like they should be so easy to fix become kind of difficult.

''Of course, it would be great to do something again with Sammy or Dave or both of them. … Maybe just kind of put a cap or a final ending on this whole era.''

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

What a terrible post. I can't believe Dave said those things!! Someone should close this thread and build a shrine to Sammy!
    "You gotta do me a favor and let these (people) have a good time, alright? A little bit of (vulgar term for breast) and their hands in the air ain't gonna hurt anybody" - Nikki Sixx

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6:30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by EUX4Life:
    What a terrible post. I can't believe Dave said those things!! Someone should close this thread and build a shrine to Sammy!
    I know Dave has no class!!! How dare he say he and Sam are gettting along fine?????

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Did anyone notice how Dave called AVH "Eddie's sister"?

Oooops...

He better be wearing a cup the next time he's heading to Howdy Doody mountain...

Seriously I can't believe ppl are still spreading "2003 VH-Dave reunion" rumours with that kind of shit goin around, DLR calling Al a girl (I can't see his physical point).
    The VH world has descended to such a level of immaturity... the older they get, the more childish they sound...
    I see only Mike & Gary up there on the high road.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How dare he talk about Spam's weight like that. Big ole, oops, smaller than Spam meanie. I stand corrected.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    http://www.tennessean.com/entertainment/music/archives/02/08/20665877.shtml ?Ele ment_ID=20665877

At some point down the line, if they're prepared to do the exact right thing, but there's an incredible high arch of excellence and not terms of perfection. There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that.
    Dave loves to ramble, but once in a while he produces a real gem. I love this analogy! This is what defines classic VH to me. It's imperfect, but that's what makes it perfect! Dave forgot the words? Ed missed a chorus? So fuckin' what!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

One of his better interviews. That sister thing had me rollin.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anybody remember Ed saying "fans don't want a Van Halen reunion. " I must have missed that one.

Also, Dave say he hasn't talked to the Van Halen brother in years. Didn't he record those spectacular songs with them a year or 2 ago? What? did he do one of those fucking Vulcan mind melds with Ed, Al and Mike during the recording sessions. I wonder how Dave defines years.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess 2 is plural...It does sound like he is saying he hasn't talked to them in forever..
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

--Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.21.12 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    "I don't need no stinking click"

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by dropdeadlegs:
    Does anybody remember Ed saying "fans don't want a Van Halen reunion. " I must have missed that one.

Also, Dave say he hasn't talked to the Van Halen brother in years. Didn't he record those spectacular songs with them a year or 2 ago? What? did he do one of those fucking Vulcan mind melds with Ed, Al and Mike during the recording sessions. I wonder how Dave defines years.
    Dave's right!
    The recordings were in July of 2000 and the
    last time they had spoke was Sept. 2000.
    That would pretty much equal "years"!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember
    them saying in interviews, etc.

[ August 02, 2002, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: VH2001 ]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t Talkin\' Bout Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    http://www.tennessean.com/entertainment/music/archives/02/08/20665877.shtml ?Ele ment_ID=20665877

Dave loves to ramble, but once in a while he produces a real gem. I love this analogy! This is what defines classic VH to me. It's imperfect, but that's what makes it perfect! Dave forgot the words? Ed missed a chorus? So fuckin' what!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Exactly!!!! I totally agree with you. If ever u saw VH with Dave,back in the day, That is what made VH great!!! The music didnt sound EXACTLY like the album,in concert,which in my opinion,was awesome!! It sounded "LIVE". Now u have the Spammy-heads,who say Sammy,,oh Sammy,he sounds so nice in concert,he sings all the words,bla bla bla,and it sounds exactly like the album,in concert. to me,that is horrible. I can sit at home and listen to the album. VH live ,with Dave was so natural,and full of energy. And for those who say Dave cant sing anymore,that he doesnt sing the words,just talk some of it through? Lemme tell u something. Dave has ALWAYS done that,going back to his days with VH. I have seen VH with Dave from the days of Fair Warning,and have a million bootlegs,live,and he has always done that,so dont give me this B.S. that he has changed soooooooooo much. Dont open your pie hole,unless u know what u r talkng about. Got that,Round Rocker fans?
    " There's a lil Van Halen in everyone" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh my goodness. Here come the Sheep brigade. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    Coors light rules!

--Will Rogers

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:45 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by DLR'sCock:

If you think one second isn't valuable, then ask the little girl who just missed getting a gold medal at the Olympics by one second. If you think one month is not valuable to somebody, then ask the lady who just had a premature kid how valuable that month is.
    Classic!
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA