Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I downloaded an MP3 version of 'Humans Being' performed live in Pennsylvania and can distinctly hear what I am 99% sure is Eddie's muffled singing along with Gary's lead vocals in the verses.

Does Eddie also sing along with Sammy in the verses on the original studio recording? I know that he recorded the vocals "umans, 'umans being" (without pronouncing the 'h' sound) over and over again toward the end of the song, and said he did so because they were running out of time and Sam didn't look like he was going to get around to recording that part before the deadline. (Sam later said that he wanted some time off because his wife was due to give birth any moment and the other band members had been given time off when their wives were pregnant.)

When I listen to the BOV1 version of the song, I can't tell if Eddie is singing in the verses because Sammy's vocals are distorted. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that when the song features briefly in the movie 'Twister', there are no distortions (effects) on Sam's vocals. Does anyone have the movie soundtrack? Does it feature a different version of the song with 'distortion-less' vocals?

On a side note, does anyone else think that Eddie's vocals toward the end of 'Humans Being' and on 'How Many Say I' are surprisingly deep when compared with his regular speaking voice?
    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

There's crazy sounds all over that song. There's weird yelling at the end, too. I always thought the verses sounded monotone.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

There's weird yelling at the end, too.

I was listening closely to the end of the song. I think that as Sam never finished his vocals, Ed had to improvise a little so he went back to the recordings Sammy made for the earlier lines in the song and played around a bit with them. I think that prolonged scream from Sam toward the end might have been a regular scream that was somehow drawn out with studio equipment.

In the end, Ed realised he didn't have enough of Sam's vocals so he recorded the last lines himself - or so I reckon anyway.
    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes Eddie did the low key part in the verses as well as the ending "Humans.... we're just humans".
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Didn't they use a pitch shifter to to take the vocals down an octave underneath Sammy and (Gary's live) vocals?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The verse vocals are doubled by Eddie. It's my opinion that Eddie wrote this song with David Lee Roth in mind as he was considering bringing him back into the fold. The key the verse is sung in, and it's limited range of notes is very typical of a Roth Van Halen tune, as is the chrorus which is very reminisent of Roth tunes where Mike and Eddie sing the chorus so Roth can run around on stage. This style became dominant from Fair Warning on, though tunes liek Dead or Alive hint at that style.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.08.15 @ 12:21 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Originally posted by thinlineokc:
    Didn't they use a pitch shifter to to take the vocals down an octave underneath Sammy and (Gary's live) vocals?
    i believe there was a flanger used as well.
    "Who would ever believe a little dutch boy could create such a ruccous"

- Eddie Van Halen

Check out my band "Modern Relic" on youtube and Facebook

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Originally posted by Shumway:
    Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I downloaded an MP3 version of 'Humans Being' performed live in Pennsylvania and can distinctly hear what I am 99% sure is Eddie's muffled singing along with Gary's lead vocals in the verses.

Does Eddie also sing along with Sammy in the verses on the original studio recording? I know that he recorded the vocals "umans, 'umans being" (without pronouncing the 'h' sound) over and over again toward the end of the song, and said he did so because they were running out of time and Sam didn't look like he was going to get around to recording that part before the deadline. (Sam later said that he wanted some time off because his wife was due to give birth any moment and the other band members had been given time off when their wives were pregnant.)

When I listen to the BOV1 version of the song, I can't tell if Eddie is singing in the verses because Sammy's vocals are distorted. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that when the song features briefly in the movie 'Twister', there are no distortions (effects) on Sam's vocals. Does anyone have the movie soundtrack? Does it feature a different version of the song with 'distortion-less' vocals?

On a side note, does anyone else think that Eddie's vocals toward the end of 'Humans Being' and on 'How Many Say I' are surprisingly deep when compared with his regular speaking voice?
    Yeah Eddie sings the low, almost growling part on all the verses and the outro. I have both the Twister Soundtrack and Best Of Vol. 1 and the song is the same on both.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

famac@nuveen.com
    Member # 4260 posted September 10, 2002 08:26 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The verse vocals are doubled by Eddie. It's my opinion that Eddie wrote this song with David Lee Roth in mind as he was considering bringing him back into the fold. The key the verse is sung in, and it's limited range of notes is very typical of a Roth Van Halen tune, as is the chrorus which is very reminisent of Roth tunes where Mike and Eddie sing the chorus so Roth can run around on stage. This style became dominant from Fair Warning on, though tunes liek Dead or Alive hint at that style.
    Yep its tuned down a half just like the good 'ol days.