Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

vh1 , fw , 1984 & fuck
    Favorite VH Song

girl gone bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the daft cover art or the lack lustre production or the feeble songs..?

mr cherone's invaluable contribution ?

scream , fart , scream , yelp , fart...yawn..

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Because of the shit that went down with DLR and the greatest hits disc. The Van Halen boys' true colors shined through with the Indian giving they pulled on Roth. That pissed alot of fans off. Then they released that piece of shit III. It's the worst album ever to be released by Van Halen. There is one positive thing to come out of III. "How Many Say I" beat out Poison's "Unskinny Bop" as the world's all-time shittiest rock song ever written.
    I took a voodoo ladder lookin' for a moonbeam<br />Yeah, ya spend a lifetime gettin' lost in the jetstream

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Has any one put it this way? What if Dave did the vocals instead of Gary.

What would you think then?

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

VDIII bombed for the following reasons:

1) The album sucked - there's no way to get around that reality. It sucked donkey balls. No coherent song structure, lamest attempt at songwriting ever on an album labeled "Van Halen", (erroneously in this case). Cherone forced to sing like Hagar. Production complete SHIT. Mikey's harmonies nowhere to be found. Did Eddie play some good stuff on the album? Sure, but a few good solos aren't enough to save an album so totally fucked in every other imaginable context.

2) There wasn't even the illusion of a group effort. Mikey's virtually non existent, both in harmonies and as a bass player. Alex doesn't sound like Alex half the time, and if you accept Sammy Hagar's rumors in 97-98, probably wasn't. (Sammy had said in several interviews that neither Mikey or Alex was very involved with the album. Naturally, Van Danniels Inc. denied the allegations at the time, but the album speaks for itself)

3) Even a good album would have suffered a well deserved backlash from 1996. This was not comparable to the 1985 situation at all. In 1985, Eddie managed to keep public opinion on his side and the "Dave wanted to be a movie star" story actually held up. As a result, most Van HALEN fans gave 5150 a shot. Some of them didn't stick around after that because of the cheese factor, but that's another matter. 1996 was totally different. Eddie pissed off the Van Hagar fanbase by shitting all over Sammy. He pissed off all the old school Van HALEN fans who were awaiting the reunion of the century, after the Van Danniels promotional machine spent the entire summer of 1996 convincing us it was going to happen.

The only people left to buy VDIII were the misguided few who live their lives under the mistaken impression that Eddie "is" the entire band. And possibly Osama Bin Laden or other cave dwellers who had somehow missed the whole 96 debacle, heard "Without You" on the radio and assumed it was the new Van Hagar single (which it sounded like) and bought the album under that pretense, never questioning why Van Hagar's 5th album would be called "III".

Bottom Line: VDIII bombed because it deserved to, for all three reasons.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

And there's really no better way to sum it all up than the above post.
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Dimoncutr:

If Dave would have been around, much of the lyrics/material etc. would have been different to start with. Beside that, well Dave is Dave and Gary isn't.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Originally posted by Elwood P.:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dimoncutr:

If Dave would have been around, much of the lyrics/material etc. would have been different to start with. Beside that, well Dave is Dave and Gary isn't.</font>[/QUOTE]Couldn't have said it any better than that [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.29.17 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

Originally posted by FORD:
    Alex doesn't sound like Alex half the time, and if you accept Sammy Hagar's rumors in 97-98, probably wasn't. Sammy had said in several interviews that neither Mikey or Alex was very involved with the album.
    Hey Ford when did Sammy make the comments about Alex not playing on VH3?

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FORD:
    VDIII bombed for the following reasons:

1) The album sucked - there's no way to get around that reality. It sucked donkey balls. No coherent song structure, lamest attempt at songwriting ever on an album labeled "Van Halen", (erroneously in this case). Cherone forced to sing like Hagar. Production complete SHIT. Mikey's harmonies nowhere to be found. Did Eddie play some good stuff on the album? Sure, but a few good solos aren't enough to save an album so totally fucked in every other imaginable context.

2) There wasn't even the illusion of a group effort. Mikey's virtually non existent, both in harmonies and as a bass player. Alex doesn't sound like Alex half the time, and if you accept Sammy Hagar's rumors in 97-98, probably wasn't. (Sammy had said in several interviews that neither Mikey or Alex was very involved with the album. Naturally, Van Danniels Inc. denied the allegations at the time, but the album speaks for itself)

3) Even a good album would have suffered a well deserved backlash from 1996. This was not comparable to the 1985 situation at all. In 1985, Eddie managed to keep public opinion on his side and the "Dave wanted to be a movie star" story actually held up. As a result, most Van HALEN fans gave 5150 a shot. Some of them didn't stick around after that because of the cheese factor, but that's another matter. 1996 was totally different. Eddie pissed off the Van Hagar fanbase by shitting all over Sammy. He pissed off all the old school Van HALEN fans who were awaiting the reunion of the century, after the Van Danniels promotional machine spent the entire summer of 1996 convincing us it was going to happen.

The only people left to buy VDIII were the misguided few who live their lives under the mistaken impression that Eddie "is" the entire band. And possibly Osama Bin Laden or other cave dwellers who had somehow missed the whole 96 debacle, heard "Without You" on the radio and assumed it was the new Van Hagar single (which it sounded like) and bought the album under that pretense, never questioning why Van Hagar's 5th album would be called "III".

Bottom Line: VDIII bombed because it deserved to, for all three reasons.
    FORD is mostly correct with his assessment of why VH3 bombed. However, I slightly disagree on a couple points.

First, I bought the VH3 CD but I never thought "that Eddie 'is' the entire band," though he's always been my favorite member of the band. I was wary of Cherone being the new singer, and, like most everyone else, wanted the reunion with DLR to be more than the 2 songs on the BOV1 disc in '96. If they were going to split with Sammy, that was about the only viable solution to future success -- and was what most VH fans had been waiting to see for years. But when I heard "Without You" on the radio, I liked the tune. It certainly was of comparable quality to many of the tunes on "Balance", a Van Hagar album I liked but considered weak compared to their other efforts with Sammy. In "Without You," did it sound like Gary was trying to sound just like Sammy? Yes (and I'm sure you can blame EVH for that). But I still liked the tune, as it sounded like a VH tune.

When I heard most of the rest of the VH3, however, on the world premiere party radio broadcast a week or two before its official release, for the first time in my 20 years as a VH fan, I was very unimpressed and disappointed. I did buy the CD and am not going to lose too much sleep dropping a measly $12-$15 on it, but the return on investment was weak at best. Yes, I liked "Fire In The Hole," which also sounded like a VH tune, the guitar playing on most of the album was stellar, and I liked a few other tunes -- most notably, "One I Want, "Dirty Water Dog" and "From Afar". But to me those were the only bright spots on the entire CD, with the rest of it being mostly an EVH solo record. I don't have an aversion to so-called "cheese ballads" like others, but "Once" was pure unadulterated crap. The tune sounded like that adult contemporary tune by Savage Garden ("Truly, Madly, Deeply"). WTF?!? There's a market for those type of tunes, but not when they are being played by a band using the moniker "Van Halen". I'm pretty damn sure that EVH provided ALL the music on that tune, while "How Many Say I" is by far the worst song in the band's entire history. There are some other weak ones in the band's history -- "Feels So Good" comes to mind immediately -- but absolutely nothing sucked as bad as "How Many Say I." I think I'd rather crush my genitals in a vice (which EVH sounded like he was doing while he sang it) than EVER listen to that pile ever again. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Second, not only was the CD weak, but the backlash that FORD mentioned is absolutely correct. The DLR-only fans were pissed because the reunion failed, the Sammy-only fans were pissed because Sammy was gone, while many who were fans of both eras lost interest in the band due to the poor press, they didn't like Gary, and/or they simply disliked the CD. Thus, the album sells only slightly more than 500,000 copies, which was a small fraction of the previously guaranteed 2.5 million sales of any disc that was put out under the Van Halen name. Needless to say, it's not the way that a legendary band like Van Halen should end its career. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would also add that the so-called "concept" of VH3 was laughingly bad. A fuckin' circus/carnival?!? As much as that pretty much describes the band situation for the past 6 years, I still can't figure out what "marketing guru" thought this one up. They put the flabby jackass taking the cannonball in the gut on the cover of the CD and then put pics of the fuckin' band at a circus/carnival on the liner notes and on the Web. My personal "favorite" is EVH as the "Ringmaster".

Who is EVH supposed to be, Siegfried or Roy?

Or how about EVH, Mikey, AVH and Gary on carnival rides?

These pics remind me of Marcia and Jan Brady in that "Brady Bunch" episode at the amusement park.

And here's one with the band engaging in some childish hijinks and shenanigans.

And do I really need to comment on this one?

WTF?!?

[ March 31, 2002 at 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Delighted Romeo ]</p>

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

This is a good topic for VH Opinions. I'm moving it there now.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!