Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember reading in a issue of "Guitar" that Eddie was very unhappy with the sound quality of Van Halen 3. The interviewer even said how the cassette tape Eddie gave him to listen to sounded worlds apart from the compact disc. Eddie's major concern was the sonic quality of digital reproduction. There are better ways to capture the spacial sound digitally,according to Ed. My guess is that Ed was unhappy with the quality of the recordings and wants to reinvent digital recording much like he did for amplifiers and guitars. These are my thoughts but looking back at the "Guitar" issue where Eddie talks about bad Compact Discs sound, this makes a world of sense.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

all accept vh3
    Favorite VH Song

all accept vh3
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AHAHAH YEAH I AGREE
    "CANT CROW BEFORE I'M OUTTA THE WOODS BUT THERES EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE"

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

No,III just sucked. You can't polish a turd, no matter how hard you try. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Granted that VH3 was not the amazing album we had all hoped for, but even when I listen to it ( which isn't very often) I notice that it is quite flat sounding. "Fire in the Hole" has crunchy distorted sound that comes off sounding like shit. I know what Eddie means when it comes to the spacial sounds and there is none of that on VH3. If you want a comparison and you have the equipment, compare the sound of VH1 (LP) and VH1 (CD), the album still sounds better because you can hear the instruments and the spaces around them.

[ February 05, 2002 at 10:03 AM: Message edited by: SHADES ]</p>

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie has a small studio, and it is not built for great room acoustics. If he wants some air and space in the sounds, he's gotta start using some reverb on things. Not necessarily a cavernous 4 second decay, but enough to add some depth and dimension. He hates reverb and refuses to use it on anything.

Not every sound can be up front; VH3 was an attempt to put everything in your face, and that doesn't work. There's only so much room in a stereo spectrum, but it was poorly used for 3. Some sounds HAVE to be in the background. With no background, there is no foreground, and therefore no depth or contrast. In other words, you only get one dimension.

Simply pulling microphones away from the source can work wonders if you have a decent room. Without that room, hook up a Lexicon.

While there may have been problems with the reproductions on cd, the bottom line is that the recording was done poorly in the first place. A great recording on a bad playback system will sound decent. A bad recording on even the finest playback system will still sound like a bad recording.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm not going to buy III because it would be wasting money, so i'm going to burn all the songs on a disc in order. then i'm going to burn DLRS skyscraper.
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

ALL OF THIM
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYTHING SEP HOW MENY SAY I
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea it is called silence. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "I Want The Best! Of Both Worlds!<br />AAAAAAWWWWWWWWW-Van Halen Live With Out A Net.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

From what we've heard, Eddie's already done a ton of recording, it's just up in the air whether any of it will ever be heard. My thought is that they've made good sounding records in 5150 and bad sounding records in 5150. First thing they need to do (okay, getting a singer is probably the first thing ) is get a good producer in there, and take that job out of the bands' hands.

Going to send this to the Opinions/Speculation forum. Continue it there guys. [img]smile.gif[/img]