On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...picked up a brand new book today called 'bang your head - the rise and fall of heavy metal' by david konow...haven't read it yet but it looks bloody smashing and it includes, along with all the other big names like ac/dc and kiss, a study of van halen as metal pioneers...
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sounds interesting. there was a book out this past year called "our band could be your life" (i think). it was basically chapters devoted to the histories of a dozen different real alternative bands: i checked out the replacements chapter, then there was black flag, public enemey, nirvana, maybe the pixies? anyways, a cool concept for a book. thanks for the heads up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes To Shove
    Last Online

05.17.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep,

Cool book, I read the VH part. It's pretty interesting. Nothing that I didn't know already, but anyway written in a less biased way. It's also a book about how metal almost totally disappeared in one year. In that light VH's 'disappearance' fits the picture as well.

Favorite VH Album

First 6 albums and bov1
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

03.16.12 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seems Like book I might think of picking up. Sound like a good book to red about therise nd fall of true rock & roll. Thanks for the info.
    Georgia Tech Football - Bring on Utah!!!! Go Jackets!!!!
    Falcons - I hear playoffs
    Atlanta Braves - Need to make some real moves
    Atl Hawks - 3-0 alright were undefeated and when did they pick up this guy called Marvin Williams?????
    PS3 Network - VanHalen

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

speaking about the death of rock ....

about a year and a half ago i was at a friends media firm - y'know they did websites, 3d crap like that. usually these places are full of creatives with all kinds of toys.

also keep in mind, all of the creatives are in their early to mid 20's (i'm about the same) so we all listen to pretty much everything. mostly it's hip hop and the derivates inbetween that and pop however. and all of us of course produce this shit by the pound on our pcs (you can do anything with some multitrackers, and instrument or two, fruityloops and a decent voice).

anyway in his office happened to be a crap fender acousting with action that was way too hig. i just started noodling a bit on it.. most of my playing is crap but its a shitload better than any of these guys playing (of course all of them thing theyre geniuses unrecognized).

i started playing a little bit of deep purple, a lick or two by srv and then started doing some crappy tapping/hammerons and false pinching stuff.

when they say that their jaws dropped. they were all 'wtf is that? wow cool!' okay it wasnt like the were totally amazed by it, but they had no clue about finger tapping!

you know the 80's are long since gone when no one recognizes that any more.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

devil,

Wow...your buds would fall over at one of my band's shows. God forbid the works of Ronnie Montrose & Michael Schenker & Pat Travers (and of course Eddie) should ever see the light of day again...

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by lil'devil:
    speaking about the death of rock ....

about a year and a half ago i was at a friends media firm - y'know they did websites, 3d crap like that. usually these places are full of creatives with all kinds of toys.

also keep in mind, all of the creatives are in their early to mid 20's (i'm about the same) so we all listen to pretty much everything. mostly it's hip hop and the derivates inbetween that and pop however. and all of us of course produce this shit by the pound on our pcs (you can do anything with some multitrackers, and instrument or two, fruityloops and a decent voice).

anyway in his office happened to be a crap fender acousting with action that was way too hig. i just started noodling a bit on it.. most of my playing is crap but its a shitload better than any of these guys playing (of course all of them thing theyre geniuses unrecognized).

i started playing a little bit of deep purple, a lick or two by srv and then started doing some crappy tapping/hammerons and false pinching stuff.

when they say that their jaws dropped. they were all 'wtf is that? wow cool!' okay it wasnt like the were totally amazed by it, but they had no clue about finger tapping!

you know the 80's are long since gone when no one recognizes that any more.
    Yeah, I believe it. The guitar is NOT the focal point in today's popular music anymore. Shit, I don't even know what the focal point is now, but it's not the guitar. hehehehe
    You can lead a horse to water, but that still won't make him a duck!