Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Rockshow is doing a poll on the greatest rock drummers & Alex VH is not on the list. Peter Criss is leading by a landslide. He's beating Tommy Lee & John Bonham. Go support Tommy and Bonham!
    www.vh1.com

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Any poll like that where Peter Criss is an option is not to be taken seriously. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alex not on the list, that's ludicrous! He should be somewhere in the top 5 of everyone's list for greatest rock drummer. T hat's insane. He can play drums better than Tommy Lee and Peter Piss put together with his neck brace tightened a few notches. What a crock! Over and out!
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know what you guys are talking about?!?! Peter Criss kicked some serious ass on "Beth". HAHAHAHA!!! LOL

Bop!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 02:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alex is the beast from southern california and the reason he's not in greatest rock drummers is because he's the greatest drummer period.
    Any and every genre... [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll close this since we have a similar thread going on in the Music Only Forum. Here's the link to that thread...
    http://www.vhforums.com/cgi-bin/vhlf...c&f=5&t=001223

ALEX VAN HALEN NOT BEING ON THAT LIST IS A RIPOFF!!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Ok, now I can close this one. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ April 21, 2001 at 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Top Timmy ]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

couldn't find a straight-up fave drummer thread ...

Vinnie Colaiuta (Live with a few misc Jazz stiffs in some shithole club in England)

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Oh man, more music poll crap.

Which is greater, red or blue?

It makes as much sense as that.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Alex not on the list......that's just dumb.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 563 Times in 305 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by diggyd View Post
    Alex not on the list, that's ludicrous! He should be somewhere in the top 5 of everyone's list for greatest rock drummer. T hat's insane. He can play drums better than Tommy Lee and Peter Piss put together with his neck brace tightened a few notches. What a crock! Over and out!
    In drum circles and among the "experts", nobody would put Alex in their top 5. Only VH fans do that. This is the only place you'll see arguments for AVH as one of the best drummers in rock.

That's just the facts. Not saying whether it's correct or not, just that Alex is universally NOT considered one of the top drummers. We here might think different, but the music community as a whole does not.
    If you do a top 15-20 list, he'd probably creep in on that.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Alex gets overlooked because his brother is Eddie Van Halen. Eddie gets pretty much all the focus when it comes to the music. Because of Eddie's brilliant playing Alex just doesn't have the spotlight on him much at all. With the other spotlight on Dave...Alex is kind of hidden in the background and thus doesn't get as much attention. We all know of the importance of Alex Van Halen but sadly he does get lost in the mainstream spotlight with two other huge household names in the band.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    In drum circles and among the "experts", nobody would put Alex in their top 5. Only VH fans do that. This is the only place you'll see arguments for AVH as one of the best drummers in rock.

That's just the facts. Not saying whether it's correct or not, just that Alex is universally NOT considered one of the top drummers. We here might think different, but the music community as a whole does not.
    If you do a top 15-20 list, he'd probably creep in on that.

I don't think I'd go that far, Alex is well-respected and after following them for 30 years even I am still sort of realizing that he's always been much, much better than I had given him credit for. He just has the unfortunate (for him, anyway) situation of being in a band with one of the most famous guitarists ever. It's very similar to Alex Lifeson being sometimes taken for granted because of what monsters Geddy Lee and Neil Peart are in Rush.

For what it's worth though this topic came up on That Metal Show a couple years ago and their category was Top 5 Hard Rock Drummers (they specified "no metal drummers"). I know a lot of people have a low opinion of Trunk and/or his show but for the purposes of this discussion it's valid because the 3 hosts and the audience are general hard rock/metal fans and not specifically Van Halen fans. Eddie and Jim both put Alex Van Halen at number 3 on their personal lists but when then audience chimed in they had a very tepid response to him. Then, Mike Portnoy came out and (as a preplanned joke) put himself at number one but picked up AVH's namecard and put it up next to the final top five list. So basically you had 2 of the 3 hosts and Portnoy who wanted Alex up there so I wouldn't say this is the "only" place you'd see that.

For those who want to see it the whole episode is here and the discussion is in the first segment, and a little bit of followup at the beginning of the second segment where they further discuss AVH:

http://www.vh1.com/video/that-metal-...playlist.jhtml

Again, not saying they're any more experts than anyone else, just that he certainly does come up when general rock fans talk about this stuff.

But as I said earlier, all this stuff is just pointless. Different musicians have different roles in different bands (just like a QB in one system may get a lot more attention than an equally capable QB in another), it's all a matter of personal preference, and people can never be specific enough about the category in question. Is it current/living drummers only or all time? All drummers or just rock drummers? All rock drummers or just hard rock drummers? And on and on.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    I think Alex gets overlooked because his brother is Eddie Van Halen. Eddie gets pretty much all the focus when it comes to the music. Because of Eddie's brilliant playing Alex just doesn't have the spotlight on him much at all. With the other spotlight on Dave...Alex is kind of hidden in the background and thus doesn't get as much attention. We all know of the importance of Alex Van Halen but sadly he does get lost in the mainstream spotlight with two other huge household names in the band.
    Haha! You were writing that at the same time I was writing a very similar post, now it looks like I didn't even read yours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:13 AM
    Liked 7,853 Times in 4,586 Posts

Premium Member

I think the problem with Al too is that he has never put himself "out there" if you will. He doesn't jam with anybody else and doesn't seem to be interested in music apart from VH. I have never seen him doing any kind of instructional videos or putting on drum clinics. I betcha many artists would jump(no pun intended) at the opportunity to work with him.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I think the problem with Al too is that he has never put himself "out there" if you will. He doesn't jam with anybody else and doesn't seem to be interested in music apart from VH. I have never seen him doing any kind of instructional videos or putting on drum clinics. I betcha many artists would jump(no pun intended) at the opportunity to work with him.
    It is odd, unless you see Alex with VH on tour it's almost like he doesn't even exist.