Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That does not sound like a Dave thing to do [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's very Dave-like. He's always been leary of soundtracks, and it's always bit him in the ass. Just Like Paradise was what Spelling wanted to use as the theme song for 90210, and Dave said no. He blamed it on his management then.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm still pissed I'll never get the two hours I wasted watching that piss poor movie back. Dave musta had the crystal ball out for that one. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    RLRR LRLL

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I heard a long time ago that Priest was going to put "Reckless" from Turbo on the Top Gun soundtrack, but they decided no at the last minute. Priest's loss. Oh well.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

So much for the "Dave is a business genius" argument. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

How in the hell could Dave, whose career has been on life support since the early 90's, turn down this opportunity? John Kalodner is known to have his finger on the pulse of what's going to be a hit.

Maybe I need to restructure my "Dave can revive his solo career" battle plan. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Reading an interview with the great record producer John Kolodner on metal-sludge. Here's what he had to say about Dave.

21. Time for Metal Sludge's Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts.
    David Lee Roth = very talented front man with a superstar image, but has wasted his talent for many years. I wanted "Slam Dunk" to be on the Armageddon soundtrack, because I thought it sounded great, as a number one rock track, but he said no.

Which begs the question.........what the hell was Dave thinking?????

Anyway....if you care to read the rest of the interview, follow the link. http://www.metal-sludge.com/
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Check out one of the best bands to come out of Arizona. Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. www.rogerclyne.net

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Finally read the interview. This question and answer is interesting considering my theory that Dave should be playing mostly solo stuff on solo gigs. Even Kalodner thinks I'm wrong. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

6. Will any 80s hair band ever sell a gold record again, yes or no and why?

No. Because their audience, which can be sizeable in concert, wants to hear the 80's hits and not new music from them. That's sort of sad, but that's the way it is.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    6. Will any 80s hair band ever sell a gold record again, yes or no and why?

No. Because their audience, which can be sizeable in concert, wants to hear the 80's hits and not new music from them. That's sort of sad, but that's the way it is.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JK put a lot of effort and time into the Journey and Ratt getting back together and making new albums. He lost a lot of credibility when both of them blew up and failed to produce.

Neither effort was marketed well. How many 80s fans even heard a single off the Ratt album? Or Journey's?

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

That's just it, MikeL. Mainstream rock radio doesn't embrace the 80's artists anymore, save for Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. However, both of those bands rely heavily on the mass produced power ballads which are well received (normally) on CHR radio.

Plus, let's take into account the last Ratt effort was just a dud. Ratt is one of those bands that never evolved and led the pack in musical style. Motley's new cd tanked as well, but there is still an interest in the Crue. There isn't in Ratt.

By way of comparison, the last Def Leppard cd "Euphoria" was well received by rock and CHR radio. It was fairly easy for mainstream audiences to embrace it, considering they are still on a BIG label (Mercury) and will get the promotional support they need. Ratt, DLR solo stuff, Dokken, Motley and the rest of those 80's bands are no longer on the "BIG" labels, just their subsidararies.

As far as the last Journey theory, they're still on Columbia, but I don't think they'll be there next time. Had Perry been on vocals I think you'd have seen more label and radio support.

For DLR to establish himself out of VH and have a decent solo career, he needs to get on with one of the "big boys" not Wawazat Records or Reprise or Portrait or Beyond Records. He needs the promotional $$$$ behind him as well as a strong and viable product to push on the rock audience of today, otherwise Kalodner's comments are dead on accurate.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't think Kalodner's statement was particularly insightful, but rather that he just is able to see why the band's he put so much effort into in the past 5 years have tanked. I'm not sure he's seeing the big picture though, but rather the self-fulfilling prophecy that unstable bands producing lack-luster efforts will fail. I was talking about the Journey reunion with Perry, Trial By Fire.

The same thing has happened with Damn Yankees.

None of these bands have name or song recognition anymore, not even Journey. 80s rock could make a comeback, but it would have to be shown to be commercially viable by something like a re-united DLR/VH or Poison. They'd have to pave the way for the hangers-on.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:

JK put a lot of effort and time into the Journey and Ratt getting back together and making new albums. He lost a lot of credibility when both of them blew up and failed to produce.

Neither effort was marketed well. How many 80s fans even heard a single off the Ratt album? Or Journey's?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you are talking about Trial By Fire, a lot of people! When You Love A Woman went straight to number one. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ratt isn't a very talented band IMO so I don't think they deserve to be heard off the radio.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

On which chart, YR? That album was not the success they wanted it to be. Without You was number one on some kind of chart, but we all know what a hit it was... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

MikeL, Here's where I heard that When You Love A Woman went to number one. Classic Rock Magazine March, 2001 page 65.

I even scanned it for you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[img]http://content.communities.msn.ca/_Secure/0OAAAAE4UsT*x1XG2QtpnyVvP3vwkAFeuFOn7ngoXYVKF29JwP PNXofTQkZEwoiblcmBEcU7ebsLoGzNyZLmpfpRjJBeUYyQX/Journey.jpg[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Thanks, YR. It had to be some subsidiary chart. I don't think I've ever heard the song.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 02:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this the Journeylinks now?? [img]smilies/sleep.gif[/img]