Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Im always hearing about there being a feud when Dave left, fighting and fueding is all i ever hear. I always thought that dave just left because he got the big head and wanted to do a solo, then i also heard that dave thought they were waiting to long to do an album. Was there really fighting n stuff goin' on or what? It never seemed as bad as they make it. Then again i wasnt there so i dont know but dave and the others always seemed to get along.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Hard to say. It's basically part of the fabric of Van Halen that Eddie was very down on Dave in 1981 and that he (Eddie) was so down he wanted to leave the band. And Eddie has certainly never missed an opportunity to criticize the cover songs on Diver Down, for which I've heard him alternately blame Dave, Ted Templeman, or both.

I can only assume that Dave would deny this, but Eddie says that the building of 5150, which was very much a product of Eddie's dissatisfaction with Diver Down, caused Dave to be very uncomfortable.

Eddie seems to put more importance on friendship, whereas Dave seems less concerned with it in the context of the band. Personally, I think that as long as their is loyalty and mutual respect, the friendship aspect is a bit over-rated.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think there was any fighting when Dave quit in 1985.

If it weren't for the music - I doubt Ed and Dave would have ended up as friends in any universe. But I do think they care about each other.

I think the true feud started when Ed picked Sammy as the new singer. Dave started bashing Sammy in the British press, and Ed got wind of it, and the fight was on.

The whole thing might have worked out better if the feud had stayed between Dave & Sam. But you can't really blame Ed, Al, & Mike for jumping in to defend their new singer.

Unfortunately, the whole thing got way too personal between all parties.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Eddie did say once when Gary was the lead singer about Dave that he really didnt have a big problem with Dave and said "I actually fuckin love the guy" He said that in guitar world magazine. Now, ill be right back i gotta get a tissue....

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have read that at the time around early 85 , Al & Ed were drinking really heavy . Dave wanted to do a album but he could not get the Van Halen brothers out of bed to make a album .

Then from the Van Halen side of it you hear that Dave was off doing his jungle studs trips and wanting to make a movie , have Eddie do the soundtrack to the movie ?

I don't know and really don't care . In 1986 and really from 86 thru 95 Van Halen put out some kick ass shit without Dave .

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Did he leave in 85'? Yes, late '85

I thought it was the ladder part of 84'? No

The alblum "1984" was made in 83' right? Yes but released Jan.1 1984

Or is it that "5150" was released in the ladder part of 86'? May of '86, I do believe.

Confused yet? No

Later

------------------
    "We'll just blaze on & make the best possible music we can...Hopefully the fans will like everything we do."
    EVH-1986

"As a matter of fact, we're even gonna dedicate this next song....To all those people....Who make baggies."
    DLR-1976

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Actually, Dave officially left Van Halen on April 1, 1985. And 5150 came out in March of 1986.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

No Bozo's
    I agree. What I gathered from DLR's side was that VH couldn't get off their ass to do an alblum. Was it cause of the booze? I don't know. What I didn't know was the building of 5150 was during that period? I thought it was right after dave left.

Did he leave in 85'? I thought it was the ladder part of 84'? The alblum "1984" was made in 83' right? Or is it that "5150" was released in the ladder part of 86'?

Confused yet?, ... LOL

*swig o weiser n' a drag* from a wet cigarette ....

------------------
    "Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags"

"This is home, it's the only one I know"

Chronic Bud Smoker of VHForums

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

April Fools Day I see . That would be weird if VH announced Dave was back on April Fools Day 2001 .

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Actually, Dave officially left Van Halen on April 1, 1985. And 5150 came out in March of 1986.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected, thanks Glenn.

I was trying to do it without a VHE , I gotta get one of those. I had to clear out some cobwebs & check the ol' memory bank from 1985/86, there's been alot of bong hits in between then & now.

Oh well!

Later

------------------
    "We'll just blaze on & make the best possible music we can...Hopefully the fans will like everything we do."
    EVH-1986

"As a matter of fact, we're even gonna dedicate this next song....To all those people....Who make baggies."
    DLR-1976

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave was the one who didn't want to concentrate on music in 1985.

That's part of the reason he quit Van Halen; he felt they were stick-in-the-muds who wanted to spend all day in the studio.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

in an 1994 or 1995 interview for the German TV Station RTL (an 10 min. special about Van Halen History) Dave said, i quote:

"The main reason why I left Van Halen, was because they were all on drugs".

i was a bit surprised that DLR didn't mention this as straight in his book.

When the reunion happend in 96, i've read somewhere that Al was really pissed at DLR, bcoz of all these drugs rumors.

it's funny how Sam Hagar's departure is quite similar to DLR's one. in a way it started with solo plans (CFTH and SH best of Album)

they just can't get enough

cheers,

SToRM

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I take more stock in what Dave said in 1985, than in what he said in the 90's.

I don't know about the drug problem - but the fact is that the 5150 album didn't take long to complete. So I don't think VH was just sitting around, or that Sammy suddenly pushed Ed and Al out of bed.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:

I don't know about the drug problem - but the fact is that the 5150 album didn't take long to complete. So I don't think VH was just sitting around, or that Sammy suddenly pushed Ed and Al out of bed.
    ------------------------------

First:
    They had recorded with Dave 1/2 of the album BEFORE he left !
    So, after Samy came in it wasn´t that hard for Ed, Al & Mike to do it.

Second :
    After Samy left he mentioned the same point :
    VH needs to much time to come up with a new album.
    Compare with VH how many albums Samy pulled out after he left and you understand.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Noodling, I don't know about "half of 5150 being done" when Dave left. I thought it was more or less understood that when Dave left, they had worked on 3 songs; Summer Nights, Good Enough and Eat Thy Neighbor. Unless (and I doubt this) Eat Thy Neighbor became one of the other songs on 5150, that means only 2 of the 9 songs on 5150 were worked on before Dave left.

And Dave has also said that VH (and particularily Alex, if I remember correctly) only wanted to go out and do a small stadium tour as their next touring project. Which seems odd considering that after the release of 5150 Van Halen went on a very extensive 7 month tour to support it.

I just think that at the end of the 1984 tour Van Halen should have just taken a 2 year break from each other. They had to be totally burned out after six albums and six huge world tours. I think Dave should have been more patient with the situation instead of leaving when he did.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com