Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me start by saying that if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, please forgive me mods and move to the area of choice...(ooh my palms just got sweaty!)

Axl Rose is touring under the banner "Guns n'Roses" although he is the only original member. They perform 3 new songs and the rest are the songs from the various albums on which the former members appeared (and yes, they do perform Eruption but that's another story...) Somehow I could always condone this because Axl was always Gn'R to me.

Yet when DLR performs and does an all Van Halen show I pass this off as a "cover band". I have always justified this because Eddie was always Van Halen to me.

Now I have seen the new Gn'R (at $290 a pop and I sat in an air conditioning duct, don't get me started) and I'm beginning to change my thinking. Maybe because Axl's lack of caring for his fans has the Halen's beat by a mile.

All this is my long-winded preface to asking, what makes a band your personally loved band? The songs? A member? The personalities? The overall sound? None of the above? WHAT?
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that's a good question, i honestly don't know at the moment. i wouldn't call axl's new band guns n roses though.
    and van halen to me is ed, al, mike, and dave. but van hagar was definitely a band to me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like some of Van Hagars work. I am a fan of the DLR and Sammy era. I just bought 5150 tonight. Of course the DLR era cds are coming in the mail. I already have VH1 so I ordered the rest. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like some of Van Halen's work when sammy was in the band.I like DLR era A LOT more!! I am a fan of the both. I just bought 5150 tonight. Of course the DLR era cds are coming in the mail. I already have VH1 so I ordered the rest. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] whats the best song on 5150??
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mean_Street:
    whats the best song on 5150??<hr></blockquote>

"5150" is my favorite song. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Summer Nights, Dreams, and Best Of Both Worlds are good, too.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it varies, but it's a good album. the only song on the album i can't really stand is get up.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Yesterdays:
    Axl Rose is touring under the banner "Guns n'Roses" although he is the only original member. They perform 3 new songs and the rest are the songs from the various albums on which the former members appeared (and yes, they do perform Eruption but that's another story...) Somehow I could always condone this because Axl was always Gn'R to me.

Yet when DLR performs and does an all Van Halen show I pass this off as a "cover band". I have always justified this because Eddie was always Van Halen to me.

<hr></blockquote>

There is NO WAY Axl Rose can pass himself off as Guns N Roses by himself. Izzy and Axl co-wrote almost everything on Appetite For Destruction, and the later albums had everyone writing, Duff, Slash, of course Izzy, and Axl...

How the fuck can you accept Axl(alone) as Guns n Roses, but when Dave tours under his own name(not VH), and performs material that he is 50% co-writer of(the other 50% going to Ed) it's a cover band??? That makes no sense at all...

AXL IS A HOMO!!!!!

Guns n Roses = Slash, Izzy, Axl, Duff, and Steve

Van Halen = Alex, Dave, Ed, and Mike

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,473 Times in 899 Posts

This is one of the better topics I've seen in a long time. A 'band' is very hard to define even though it should be so simple. I consider a band to be music (played on instruments not drum machines are the such). Van Halen in their current state is a band. Of course they were a better band when they had someone singing. Vocals are in a way an instrument. Me and a friend of mine record music and we consider ourselves a band even though there are only 2 of us.

Anyway, my ideal band is a singer, drummer, lead guitarist and a bass guitarist. Van Halen anyone?
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Raldo:
    Anyway, my ideal band is a singer, drummer, lead guitarist and a bass guitarist.<hr></blockquote>yeah, if you really want to get to the brains of the operation, then yeah, although i would potentially throw in a rhythm guitar and keyboards. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear DLRs Cock,

Axl wrote just about 98% of the lyrics that he sang (as opposed to stuff Izzy and Duff sang) and contributed lyrics/background to the other 2%. He BOUGHT the GnR name from the other members. He owns it. Whether or not he should be using it would bring us back to whether Eddie should be using the Van Halen name, but let's not go there.

His band is one he has assembled for his new life's work. They are active contributors to said work. His voice and petulance were, arguably I'll admit, what brought GnR to where they were. My quandry started when no new work was exhibited and all four of his concerts in the last 10 years consisted of old GnR tunes, though he has consistantly promised "a new album."

Dave has assembled a band to back him up for a string of concerts that consisted of songs written by him and Eddie Van Halen. It looked to me as if it might be that he was in a holding pattern pending a reunion with his old band, not moving ahead to the future. That's the difference.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Yesterdays:
    Dear DLRs Cock,

Axl wrote just about 98% of the lyrics that he sang (as opposed to stuff Izzy and Duff sang) and contributed lyrics/background to the other 2%. He BOUGHT the GnR name from the other members. He owns it. Whether or not he should be using it would bring us back to whether Eddie should be using the Van Halen name, but let's not go there.

His band is one he has assembled for his new life's work. They are active contributors to said work. His voice and petulance were, arguably I'll admit, what brought GnR to where they were. My quandry started when no new work was exhibited and all four of his concerts in the last 10 years consisted of old GnR tunes, though he has consistantly promised "a new album."

Dave has assembled a band to back him up for a string of concerts that consisted of songs written by him and Eddie Van Halen. It looked to me as if it might be that he was in a holding pattern pending a reunion with his old band, not moving ahead to the future. That's the difference.
    <hr></blockquote>

My buddy was friends with Wes Arkeen(RIP) who co-wrote "It's So Easy", and the song by which you have used as your username, "Yesterdays". I have another friend who is currrently friends with Tommy Stinson(ex-Replacements, current GnR Bassist, my friend was at the LV show last year too, and he knows a bunch of the guys in GNR)(and yes I do have real inside info, if you wanna PM me)............

I think you missed the point, ummmmm OK, Izzy co-wrote the entire Appetite Album with Axl(the only album that really matters anyway)....Should Axl sing those songs live??? Of course he should!!!! Should he think that he is Guns N Roses by himself??? NO FUCKING WAY!!! Why does he do this??? Probably money and insecurity, and ego....If he had any honor and decency he would go out and perform strictly as Axl Rose......or The Axl Rose Band...

Guns N Roses is Izzy, Axl, Slash, Duff, & Steve

not Axl w/ a bunch of fill ins....that is BS

As far as DLR is concerned, I think he is being smart, he is playing ALL of his cards. He wants a reunion, and is sort of holding, but what he is doing is going out and performing the VH to keep the fans happy and build the hype, while he records his solo album and DVD....maybe he's secretly recording w/ VH too??? I have no idea....but if there is no reunion I guarantee DLR will put out his own solo material then....

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's a question for the author of this thread?

If you think Axl "is" Guns n Roses, and Eddie "is" Van Halen, what would it be if they were in the same band?

And no, "double-homicide" is not an acceptable answer.....

The fact is, neither Axl or Eddie made it on their own. It took the chemistry of Dave & Eddie to make Van HALEN. It took Slash, Duff, and Izzy, who is ridiculously under-rated in his importance to that band. There's a reason they started falling apart right after Izzy quit the band. There's also a reason that the album they released after he left was ALL covers.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

To me, GNR was Axl and Slash, I don't care if the others are replaced. But I think Slash was a huge part of the GNR sound.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Imagine for a moment that Van Halen was named something else.....I don't know....let's say "Mammoth".

Do you think it would be out of the realm of possiblity that after Dave left he would of tried to buy the name "Mammoth" from the rest of the band? I think he would of jumped on it in a heartbeat.

Would it then be o.k. for Dave to tour solo under the name "Mammoth" because he owned the rights and had partial ownership of the songs. I would think it was wrong. It's the whole name recognition thing though. That will get you farther every time.

Just imagine if Van Halen fans had the scenario that Ratt fans have. There was two versions of Ratt touring. "Ratt featuring Stephen Pearcy" and "Ratt" with Jizzy Pearl singing and only two original members.

KISS.....I guess KISS can still be KISS no matter who is playing guitar and drums because the major creative (good or bad) forces in the band have been Gene and Paul.

Motley Crue....changed singers and ruined the band. I personally loved the album they did with Corabi, but it wasn't Motley Crue. They should of changed their name.

Axl should just go solo....especially with the supposed new direction of the band. It's not G n R anymore.

Van Halen with Sammy was still Van Halen in my mind. Just Van Halen mach II or something ala Deep Purple. Van Halen with Gary was just Eddie and Gary....they should of changed their name or Ed should of just done a solo record.
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Check out one of the best bands to come out of Arizona. Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. www.rogerclyne.net

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    [QB]

My buddy was friends with Wes Arkeen(RIP) who co-wrote "It's So Easy", and the song by which you have used as your username, "Yesterdays".

And just for the record, while my name was inspired by the song, I thought it just as appropriate for a Van Halen board. Let's face it, it's the "Yesterdays" of these bands that
    keep us coming here. As far as we know there is no today or tomorrow...