Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In one of the NAMM reports on this site, Eddie was quoted as saying he didn't want to do anything that wouldn't last. It was also mentioned he stated that a one-shot reunion tour with Dave or Sammy would be ripping off the fans.

I don't understand this logic. Fans have been chomping at the bit for some sort of reunion for so long. How would a one-shot tour or even just one pay-per-view rip off the fans?

As a Dave-era fan, I feel if I don't see the original Van Halen line-up on stage again before the memebers die off or I do myself, then I'll indeed be ripped off. I'm sure the Sammy-era fans would feel the same if that incarnation of the band never resurfaces.

At this point, however, something would be better than nothing. A Santana-esque album with a roster of guest vocalists, an instrumental record, or even singer #4. Obviously with the barrage of obstacles Eddie's had in his life in the last three years, the hiatus is understandable.

I just don't buy Eddie's point of view when dismissing any sort of reunion. He can't disregard one of the reasons Van Halen was brought to the dance to begin with (Dave) or one of the reasons they retained their popularity (Sammy).

If Eddie was truly interested in giving the fans what they want, he would find a way to make all of us happy. For me to feel satisfied as a fan, the following seems like the most realistic solution: A one-time Van Halen 25th Anniversary concert with guest vocalists, including Sam and Dave. On record, the Santana approach might be the best choice.

But who the hell knows.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away, 5150, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting post. If Eddie did, in fact, say that, he may be hinting that he (and maybe others) are not interested in rehashing the past. What he views as a "ripoff" may be going through the motions, when they really dont want to do it. I for one would feel jipped if they felt obliged to do a reunion if their hearts weren't in it. I think it's safe to say that Eddie (and Alex?) want to keep moving ahead and not revisit the past (which would happen with any reunion).

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I dont understand why Ed thinks a reunion would be a "rip-off" to the fans ?? The fans (some of us) feel "ripped-off" because Ed hasnt spoken, or interacted with us for so damn long.

I dont know if "ripped-off" is how I feel, just very disappointed in the lack of activity. Ed needs to realize, its a band, not just him, and his missing brother.

It made me sad in 96' when Dave wanted to jam some of the classic tunes, and Ed & Al wanted nothing to do with that. That is just too bizarre to me. Why ? This is what the people want to hear.

"Shut up, and plug in " [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ January 28, 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: 79th and Sunset ]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.06.06 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed just doesn't want vh to be seen as a nostalgic thing ... i mean if he's got 5 albums worth of material or whatever locked away up in 5150 i'd feel pretty damn ripped off if he did some reunion tour with roth for a few shows or one-offs i'd rather hear something new .

just me though.

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

If Ed's got 5 albums worth of material, why can't he do both? I don't think anybody expects a greatest hits tour with Dave, so record a record of new material with dave and tour. Then he goes forward with new material and the fans get to see the band, not to mention all the money. How does anyone loose here?
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I think what Ed is really conveying, is that he won't go on a tour without releasing a new album of material first. His viewpoint seems to be that going out on a tour without a new album to support, would make Van Halen nothing more than a nostalgia act. And he views that as nothing more than a cash grab and therefore a rip off of the fans.

And I also think he doesn't want to release a new album with someone singing that won't be around permanently.

And so we wait... [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    This Member:Van Halen Fan EST. 1978

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Western Exterminator:
    In one of the NAMM reports on this site, Eddie was quoted as saying he didn't want to do anything that wouldn't last. It was also mentioned he stated that a one-shot reunion tour with Dave or Sammy would be ripping off the fans.
    The first part was a quote (demonstration) reportedly coming directly from Eddie, where he banged the guitar and it stayed in tune. The second part was more of a paraphrase. I'm not sure if the author of the post was being editorial or if EVH actually said anything about a reunion...

Originally posted by mfgtr:
    As for Van Halen he made it clear.He's not going out with a line-up that won't last or a line-up that's just a reunion for a quick cash grab.Edward feels to do anything like that with Dave or Sammy would be ripping all of you off.
    I'm not saying he never said that or that he did say it, it's just a matter of perspective. One guy in one report mentioned this... it's kind of tough to get excited either way about one guy's report. Especially with rumors of Sammy reunions popping up almost monthly.

As a Dave-era fan, I feel if I don't see the original Van Halen line-up on stage again before the memebers die off or I do myself, then I'll indeed be ripped off.
    Man, really? Every time I paid for something VH I got what I paid for.

If Eddie was truly interested in giving the fans what they want, he would find a way to make all of us happy.
    Wow, there's a statement. Hey, Eddie isn't a miracle worker. I doubt he has the secret potion that will make all the fans happy. Sam and Dave can't even get on stage together without bitching, let alone be in the same band! What's he gonna do? Pick one of the two guys and somehow make that guy act civil enough to survive a tour, just to alienate some of the fans? Nah.

Remember, living in the real world are literally millions of VH fans who are happy enough just to spin the old VH tunes. They aren't looking for the "second coming" of pre-Hagar VH. They'd go to a reunion concert, but they aren't begging for it. Do you think that when Ed talks about the fans he's talking about us (the minority) or them (the majority)?

Besides, there are several people on these boards who like the band just the same even if nothing else comes out.

But who the hell knows.
    Yeah.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

'78 -'96 baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs... Enough said
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look closely at what Ed said. In between the lines he said he doesn't want to do a one shot tour and tease the fans. He wants to put the band back together for good. He never said he wouldn't work with Sam or Dave again ( although with the lawsuit I doubt he'll work with Dave). This would leave Sam and maybe Sam doesn't want to be tied in for more than one or two more records or tours since he is mid fifties and enjoying life too much. Who the hell knows. I would love to see a Van Hagar reunion, but whatever happens as long as they put out a QUALITY product, I'll be thrilled.
    Those that say money cannot buy hapiness don't know where to shop.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

07.06.05 @ 06:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by speedtruckermf:
    If Ed's got 5 albums worth of material, why can't he do both? I don't think anybody expects a greatest hits tour with Dave, so record a record of new material with dave and tour. Then he goes forward with new material and the fans get to see the band, not to mention all the money. How does anyone loose here?
    I totally agree with you. Everyone would win, everone would be happy. Good post.
    Buttocks and crotches and nipples with wings, these are a few of my favorite things!

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

Its been documented already that they tried to do a new album with David, and for whatever reason, couldn't get along. I would feel ripped off if they had anything to do with David again, period. That guy is a goof ball. I think Eddie wants to separate himself from David as much as possible. Like it or not, if they were to do something with David again, new material or no, they would be viewed as a nostalgia act.

I want to hear what Eddie's been up to without it infected by David or Sammy.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

True if he did both (ie put out a new album with dave or sammy and toured) it would make everyone happy .. but as someone said they would still be seen as a nostalgia thing ... also as ed said himself he wants something that'll last. releasing one album with dave or sammy and kicking them out after the first tour cause they hate each others guts would be ripping the fans off too .

[ January 28, 2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Stiglar ]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

07.06.05 @ 06:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Stiglar:
    True if he did both (ie put out a new album with dave or sammy and toured) it would make everyone happy .. but as someone said they would still be seen as a nostalgia thing ... also as ed said himself he wants something that'll last. releasing one album with dave or sammy and kicking them out after the first tour cause they hate each others guts would be ripping the fans off too .
    That's crazy. Just cause something doesn't last doesn't mean you are going to feel ripped off when it is over.

If I had sex once with Pamela Anderson, I wouldn't feel ripped off simply because it didn't last. I'd simply cherish the moment.

Not all orgasms last forever.... Which is the perfect explanation for how Sammy got into the band!
    Buttocks and crotches and nipples with wings, these are a few of my favorite things!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

I don't understand his reasoning 100% on a reunion either. I think a one-off reunion with Dave and/or Sam, especially in conjunction with the Hall of Fame and 25th anniversary of the band would a cool thing. And whether or not they added any new music to that project, they could rip me off all they want!

After that, move on or continue, it's up to you, but after all these many lonely years without an appearance from Van Halen, this would be the best thing to make a comeback with. You know, sweeten everyone up a little, especially if you're going to turn around and ask your fans to accept yet another singer. Just the thought gets me worrying. [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] I don't think that going with a fourth singer is the correct choice. I don't why Ed would feel that a 4th singer would work any better than the 3rd did. Poor Gary didn't have a chance from the start. Dave was the epitomy of Van Halen and Sammy was a good fit after that, despite his corny lyrics and refusal to sing classic VH. I don't think Edward is going to be able to find another singer that's going to fill that void. I'm beginning to think that it's just his excuse for being stubborn about Dave and Sam.
    Could this be magic?

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Originally posted by Ashe:
    I want to hear what Eddie's been up to without it infected by David or Sammy.
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's obvious that the Dave thing will never work and I doubt Sam would either. These guys broke up for a reason. It's like getting back with the one you divorced.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

exactly .

sex is kinda different than this .

say they do get back with sammy or dave for a one off .. 1 year later we're back where we started from . . i'd feel kinda ripped by that .

dave and sammy didn't work with vh for a reason . if they can work it out so be it .. but ed has made it clear in his latest appearence that he can't work it out with them . .so what's the point in hoping for a long term stay ?