Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate to be a pessimist here, and I love VH just as much as most of you guys (some of you are too insane for me), but I just don't see this new album making this MAJOR impact like all of you guys say it will. It will not completely wipe everything that it out now off the map. I wish it would. GOD I WISH IT WOULD!!! Sure, I think it will sell well, probably around 1 or 2 million, but I just don't see it selling like Santana's album. Not tht I am in ANY way saying that I like Santana any more than VH. I really don't. But his album sold like a Bastard. You can't deny that. Can anyone in here honestly tell me that they think this thing will sell over 5-6 million? Because if it is gonna be this "revolutionary" kind of album, then it would have to sell at least that much.
    I hate to be such a downer, but some of you guys are getting your hopes up wayyyyto high about this thing. We should be more excited about the fact that it is a new album with Dave back, not so much that it is going to change the face of music or wipe the Backside Boys and Titanny Spears off the map or other shit like that. It won't.
    But you can be sure that they will sell atleast one copy.....to my ass. Just keep it in check fellas. Nothing wrong with getting fired up, just don't get your hopes at ridiculous levels. That is all. I'm tired. I sleep now.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    I want a girl who knows what she's doing, because after this bottle's empty, I won't!!! - Michael Anthony

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree it won sell more than 2 million. Too many britney and n sync fans

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've been saying exactly that for a while now. I think it's going to sell around 2 million, but 10 million like some people think is a crazy figure. My reasoning is that I see VH becoming alot like the Stones in that they sell a set amount of records, but do their biggest business on tour. I know plenty of people who would go see VH live, but wouldn't buy the album unless there was a big hit on it.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn, I totally agree. I do think though that a REALLY BIG hit could maybe bolster sales up around 3-4 mill. But I don't see VH having a "Jump"-type thing happening because of the shit (and I do mean shit) that is selling today. It's just TOO different. Most people that age will just say "Oh those old farts put out another album" There are a lot of hardocre fans out there that will buy the album. Especially since DLR is back. But a 10 mill kinda thing is not happening. It just reminds young people of old people music. Dumbasses. If they only knew how little talent these manufactured pop pansies had. Shit, they'd probably buy it anyway because "Oh....the Backside Boys have all got nice asses!!" and shit like that. If Dave and Ed looked like Brad Pitt or somebody like that, this might be a different ball game.

------------------
    I want a girl who knows what she's doing, because after this bottle's empty, I won't!!! - Michael Anthony

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How can any of us even guess about the sales when we haven't even heard the music? If there are those one or two special songs that get heavy rotation (especially across radio genres), then the sky's the limit - Alanis Morrisette's album that sold 20M had a couple of those type of songs, and when her album came out it was completely against the grain of the day. All it takes is one kick ass song, and a lot more 17 and 18 year olds will buy the album than any of us think. I always thought that I had strict tastes when I was in my teens, but when I look at my collection these days, I see that I could be very fickle at that time. I think when we talk about album sales, it is safe to assume 1M as an absolute worst case scenario, based on all the hard-cores such as everybody reading and posting here and elsewhere. I was at the Atomic Punkz show in Scottsdale on Friday and there were at least 1000 of them there.

------------------
    First six albums rule - Later, VHDOF

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning=Dave 5150=Sammy
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained or Summer Nights
    Last Online

11.09.16 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts

OK I agree to certain amount but it is hard to say really what will happen if and when VH releases this album with Dave. An album is alot of music and it could do better than any of us have estimated. Like all of you though i will buy it and probable love it so who really cares about everyone else huh.

------------------
    IS IT VAN ROTH? OR VAN HAGAR? OR VAN CHERONE? NO MOTHERFUCKER IT IS VAN HALEN!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Depends on what day it is
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WRONG!!! I personally think that the world is tired of the Brittney, n'suck stuff and are ready for a change. We just don't have anything worth taking us away from that crap yet...YET. I think it will sell 2 mill just on the fact that DLR is back with VH. When everyone realizes how great it is...I think it will sell about 5 - 6 mill.

------------------
    "It's all over but the SHOUTING...
    I've come to take what's mine!"

On Fire
    Last Online

07.09.12 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Why does VH have to remind everyone of "old people music" any more than Metallica or Aerosmith? Either of these bands so much as fart and it's a hit with the kids, regardless of generation. Each generation keeps getting hooked on these bands. What about Sting? He seems to be doing pretty well these days and The Police were around back then. I say 5-6 million albums easy depending on the promotion. A really funny, entertaining DLR-led video would definitely help.

-Adam

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.09.12 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sales in not a measure of impact. Some of the most important and influential albums are not even close to the top of the list in terms of sales. All that really matters is that the album wails. I have faith that it will. If it knocks people over and does not comprimise the integrity of the band, look out. All the bands that put out big selling records now will be nothing more than trivia questions in a decade. Monumental music is timeless. This is Van Halen's chance to cement its legend status. Records sold is not the cement. A jamming, land-breaking, ear-shaking, nothing-like-it-before-or-after record is the damn cement.

[This message has been edited by loosechange (edited August 22, 2000 at 11:53 AM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Make an inpact on 6 year old kids....who are torn between barney & insync ! van halen already marked there territory !

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In 1981 the world was sick of disco, and so it embraced whatever else came along. Maybe the English synth pop wasn't much of an improvement, but it was different from disco.

In 1991, the sickeningly overblown hairband thing had run it's course and had nothing new left to offer. My friends from Seattle took care of that.

By 2001, the world will again embrace a musical revolution. Who better to lead it than Van Fucking Halen?? Goodbye N'Suck. Goodbye Britney. Goodbye Kid Cock. Wish I could say it's been nice knowin ya....

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

In 1996 I thought it would be huge, now I have doubts. I think the tour will be huge, but not sure the CD will sell well unless they really hit something special. I am excited and I hope it awakes the music industry. but the general public types that I talk to either don't even know VH did a cd with Gary or they think getting Roth is a last ditch effort to save what VHIII killed.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I won't even begin to take a guess at the number of records they might sell. However, I do have 2 points of possible contention here: 1) even when hard rock was the order of the day (late '80s-91), teenie-bopper music still thrived-New Kids on the Block, Mariah Carey, etc. The people who buy/listen to those things generally stick within that genre, and there is little in terms of a crossover audience. So instead of 'wiping out' Britney or the Backdoor Boys, their successes will carry on unaffected. However, the 'rock' of today (Corn, Limp Buzdick, etc) is the area that will be competing for sales and attention, and THAT is the 'music' I'd like to see gone. Britney isn't played on any radio stations I listen to, so the two scenes are mutually independent.
    2)I have a hunch that a LOT of people will take offense to this, but....if you WANT VH's new CD to sell well and have maximum impact, I think you owe it to the band that, if you LIKE it, then go and BUY it. That's the only direct feedback we, as fans, can give an artist. It's our most powerful statement--that we are willing to PAY for their efforts. In plain English, I think that anyone who goes out and gets it and immediately puts it on Napster will only hinder the band's success. If $ is an issue, then save what you can until you CAN afford to buy it. It's a lot easier to appreciate something you earn, and a free MP3 of the whole thing is the quick and easy path, which in Star Wars, leads to the Dark Side of the Force. I'm not going to flame Napster here, as I've used it myself for otherwise unfindable tracks, but I think this is an example where Napster CAN do harm to a band. Assuming I like what I hear, I will happily forgo a week of cigarettes to pay for the real CD; it's my most direct way to show my appreciation for the band's work. And I think this band, above all, deserves AT LEAST that much. And if I don't like what I hear, then I WON'T buy it. It's much like voting-only without the politics.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

All the guys need is two or three monster hits on the next one and they will be huge again...U2 did it with Achtung Baby...no reason VH can't do it too...

There were 5 years between the Black album and Load for Metallica and they are the biggest in the world...

VAN HALEN IS UP TO THIS CHALLENGE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

04.17.08 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well hmmm let's see. Santana sold at least 11 million plus albums and you think VH doesn't have a chance of selling 2 million!!!

Yes I know Santana had guest appearances with more modern singers, BUT his album wouldn't have as good of a chance if it weren't for the Marketing over at Arista. His album had the record companies' backing and so they helped get it out there. IF WB does the same thing with Van Halen you may be in for a surprise, but I could be wrong.

Although 2 million is still very respectable and would still be good for a hard rock album at today's standards I think if it's a 'Good Enough' album and marketed properly that it can go head to head with the teeny boopers!!!!!

------------------
    Van Halen Burning the Stage Forever!!!

Hide your sheep? What about Little Bo Peep?

'Dave, how will I know that I've made it?' I tell 'em, 'When you can spell 'subpoena' without thinking about it, you made it'