Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.25.12 @ 02:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, I've been lurking long enough. Been reading daily for over 9 months. Great site Brett!

In my first post, I'm going to tackle the R&R HOF issue.

Van Halen (Ed, Dave, Alex, Mike) released they're first commercial album in 1978, so they're slated for induction in 2003. That's a given. What everyone has assumed is that Sammy will be inducted with them since he was a major part of their commercial success.

I think that there is a good possibility that the "Sammy era" will be considered a different band, and the Sammy-era version of VH won't be slated for induction until 2011 since that's 25 years from when they realesed 5150! To me, that makes the most sense. Sure, they were still referred to as Derek

Van Halen with Sammy, but they were definitely a different band from the original VH. Not better, not worse, just different.

So all the questions about whether Sammy will show up, or will they all play a few songs on stage together may be falling on deaf ears. Sammy won't be invited.....

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oops....That was supposed to read "they were still referred to as VH with Sammy...", and the "Derek" was supposed to be at the end.... don't know what happened there.

Ahh, what the hell.

Derek

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't agree. It's all Van Halen in my opinion and that's obviously what it has said on the album covers. If the Sammy era was going to be inducted seperately, what would it be called at that point?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn Wrote: "If the Sammy era was going to be inducted seperately, what would it be called at that point?"

Van Halen featuring Sammy Hagar.

Why should they be considered the same band? If in 1986 they had released 5150 under the name Van Hagar, then there would be no issue. To me, they're different bands.
    Derek

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 21X:

Why should they be considered the same band? If in 1986 they had released 5150 under the name Van Hagar, then there would be no issue. To me, they're different bands.
    Derek
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't necessarily disagree with you about the different bands theory, but the fact remains that they were Van Halen in 1978 and they were Van Halen in 1986. Therefore, if Van Halen are inducted into the RnR HOF, it covers all albums and members that fell under the title Van Halen, which includes Sammy and Gary.

VH2000
    I agree with Glenn on this one!
    It is Van Halen being inducted - therefore that should include all music that Van Halen has released over the past 25 years.
    Dave, Sammy and Gary!

BTW - Has an instance like this ever come up in past inductions?

[This message has been edited by VH2000 (edited August 07, 2000 at 07:21 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a rediculous topic. Van Halen is one band with three different singers NOT three bands. Holy crap this topic is lame.

------------------
    "I cry out to God seeking only his decision Gabriel stands and confirms i've created my own prison" Scott Stapp

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

And how many bands in the HoF have had line-up changes over the course of their careers? The Stones, the Beatles... Hmm... makes you wonder how silly this all is, doesn't it?

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

van roth
    = van halen as one
    van hagar

nuff said!

------------------
    *I Am A Wild Party! Rah Rah Ole!* - Kim Mitchell '90

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.29.09 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Yardbirds went in with Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck....Van Halen goes in...Sammy goes in....as was noted earlier, VH1 was released in 1978 and marked their commercial debut...RnR HOF does not judge just on the debut but the span of the career (which includes both Sammy and Gary).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

04.17.08 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the um jokester has just gotten right to the point!

He's right the HOF judges based on the span of the bands career. Van Halen didn't disband in 1985 they just changed their lead singer.

------------------
    Van Halen Burning the Stage Forever!!!

Having a bad day? Well VAN HALEN has been formulated to wipe those bad day blues Away!
    Hide your sheep? What about Little Bo Peep?

'Dave, how will I know that I've made it?' I tell 'em, 'When you can spell 'subpoena' without thinking about it, you made it'

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    And how many bands in the HoF have had line-up changes over the course of their careers? The Stones, the Beatles... Hmm... makes you wonder how silly this all is, doesn't it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm... when did the Beatles change their lineup during their recording career? John, Paul, George, and Ringo were the only lineup to ever make an "official" recording, so the hall of fame wasn't concerned with the demos they cut when Pete Best was in the band.

However, you have a valid point with the Stones. Mick Taylor and Ron Wood were both inducted right along with Mick, Keith, Bill, and Charlie, despite the fact that they didn't play on the band's early record. Although certainly nobody would deny them their place, especially Taylor who helped the Stones make some of the best music of their careers, and I dare say, some of the best music ever made.

There won't be any separate induction for Van Hagar in 2011. However, I will remind you all again that technically Van Halen is not eligible for the 2003 ceremony. The induction takes place in January or February. The nominations would be sometime in the late fall of 2002. Van Halen 1 was released in March of 1978, which unfortunately puts it a few months late for a 2003 induction, unless they bend the rules. Guess the Sex Pistols will have to steal the show that year.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do believe that the majority of you guys are correct-that Sam (and Gary) will be inducted all at the same time. For those of you that are bothered by this, keep this in mind-many people of the non-Van-Halen-fan variety have a bad taste in their mouths over all the lead singer controversies the past 15 years. If they were ALL to appear at the ceremony together, ideally GETTING ALONG, this would let people see them as nice guys instead of a bunch of quibbling egomaniacs (a view many people have). This would give them a better image than what they've got now, which can only help secure their place in music history that much better. So I hope they're all there at the ceremony, but this is years away, why are we discussing it now???

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

04.17.08 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Weell Abe we'll talk about anything to help the time pass by before they make their grand return!

------------------
    Van Halen Burning the Stage Forever!!!

Having a bad day? Well VAN HALEN has been formulated to wipe those bad day blues Away!
    Hide your sheep? What about Little Bo Peep?

'Dave, how will I know that I've made it?' I tell 'em, 'When you can spell 'subpoena' without thinking about it, you made it'

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    I've seen a LOT worse topics RAFTER !!

This one probably belongs in opinions/Speculation, it's all pretty hypothetical at this stage, moving it now

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...