Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I happened to be listening to some Roth-VH and Dave's DLR Band CD (imagine that, me listening to VH!!). Anyway I was noticing some differences between Dave then and now. I do have to say that Dave's voice has changed a little for the worse on the whole, but I haven't heard him since then, so he may have beefed up his chops a little, I don't know. From what you guys say, he has. HOWEVER, the Diamond one has done a couple of things, at least in my opinion to make up for his loss of chops on the DLR Band CD. The first thing I noticed is that Dave, having a fairly "bassy" voice does a lot of talking/singing in a very deep voice (I don't know what the correct term for that is). Anyway he does it a lot on "Tight" on the DLR Band CD, where he does the whole "East LA, touchdown Miami Philadelphia, PA" bit. He even did it on Me Wise Magic on the "A little Zen, headed your way" part. I for one think that it kicks ass when he does this. Gives it a kind of Bad-Ass vibe.
    Also, take a listen to Black Sand on the DLR Band CD. I don't remember Dave singing that way before. It had kind of an airy, less vocal sound to it (Sorry, that's the best description I can give). I thought this was a definite improvement as well. Made him sound much better and less strained. That seemed to be the biggest problem with Dave on that CD. The songs that sounded the worst were the ones he strained to hit notes. The best ones were the ones where he went with his voice and sang lower and strained less.
    Relentless would have been an AWESOME song if he sang it a tad bit lower. I still liked it anyway. Tells you how good it was.
    I think these improvements, along with any beefing of Dave's chops would lead to an AWESOME album and tour. Cause you KNOW Ed is gonna have his shit in gear (at least musically).

-I've been places with my face, you wouldn't go without a pistol" DLR

------------------
    I want a girl who knows what she's doing, because after this bottle's empty, I won't!!! - Michael Anthony

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think that's a great post. Certainly Dave (like any singer) has a certain range in which he sounds best, and once he gets out of it he struggles. Hopefully Edward will be understanding of that, and not feel that it's holding back his songwriting to avoid those difficult areas.

I love the way Dave does the "from a helicopter" line near the end of Little Texas.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

my only complaint about his singing is this newer thing he does when he's trying to hit a high spot with and he does this falseto screachy thing that almost kills me, but then in the next breath he does a great line..

maybe VH sat him down with a tape and said "when you do THIS it sounds cool, but when you do THAT it sounds like shit"

------------------
    "Do you believe??
    Tell me you believe!"-Me Wise Magic

VH files--The truth IS out there..

www.dlrarmy.com
    www.houseofhain.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave has never sung like he has for Van Halen. Eddie has never written rock songs like he has with Dave. Period.

Listen to "Dance The Night Away", i'd have to say that's one of the finest rock vocal performances i've EVER heard. He is fucking amazing, and i'd have to say, that Dave, along with excellent background vocals really make that song. It sorta seems like Eddie stays in the background and gives Dave the entire spotlight, it's magical. Especially the remastered version.

Sadly, Dave will never sing like this again. However, seeing as how VH brings out the best in dave and vise versa, hopefully some of the Magic will be recaptured. Many people try and tell me that Dave's voice was good on DLR Band cd, well, in my opinion it was garbage, I can't even believe it's dave. However, MWM and CGTSNM are dave sounding pretty decent compared to anything else he did around 93-99, so I think with more rehearsing, better production, and of course, having a force such as Eddie around to push him to be the best he can be, will make this reunion seriosuly KICK ASS !

IM OUT !

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I stand corrected...I just downloaded "runnin' with the devil" live in Dallas 99...it's pretty fucking good...i'm impressed

I'm sure after some rigorous rehearsing with the boys he could sound pretty awesome again!

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Purcahse DLR live in Finland/1999 and let me know what you think.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Theres a good idea! get the first show of the tour and rip on rusty ole Dave a bit... god forbid you might hear him sound significantly better later in the tour. Forget that man, it's not important!

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

[This message has been edited by Goo (edited October 07, 2000 at 07:31 AM).]

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

DON'T GET THE FINLAND VIDEO! Never get that! Dave's voice was crappy then. If you wanna hear some good stuff download "Little Guitars" in the Dallas concert. It's the best I've EVER heard Dave live.

------------------
    Joe

Member of E.B.A.S. and E.A.A.S.

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think everything will be fine with DLR if they sit down when writing things and work out what he can and can't handle with his voice anymore. Run through some old stuff, see what he nails, and write in that key on that level. Run through some Sammy stuff to see what he can't handle (just doesn't quite have the bionic voice).

Ultimately, when they find his niche, he'll shine and we won't hear anymore, "Can Dave's voice handle it?" questions.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Dave will be just fine on a new album if Ed can write in his voice range and not Sammy's. That was what f'd up a lot of Gary's stuff, he was singing way above what he had the ability to sing in.

------------------
    I want a girl who knows what she's doing, because after this bottle's empty, I won't!!! - Michael Anthony

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bizzatch:
    Dave has never sung like he has for Van Halen. Eddie has never written rock songs like he has with Dave. Period.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure he has! ALAE was just as good vocally as anything he did with VH, and had more range to it, IMO. Absolutety a kick-ass performance!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my impression of ALAE, is DAVE stayed within himself.

if memory serves me correctly there isn't alot of yelping on that record(which is good in my opinion).

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member
    Which one of the DLR solo albums did you first notice that has voice was loosing it's range? I don't say this in a negative way becuase he could out-sing ANYONE in this forum. ALL singers will loose their range after a while.

For me it was LAE .... however, he did turn it around for YFLM.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Well, I think there is quite a difference between Daves voice now, and the way it was ten years ago.

His voice sounded a lot weaker on DLR Band to me. That's the first album I noticed a significant change.

It could be because the production on DLR Band isn't great though.

I would say Dave's voice is at it's best on Yankee Rose!!!!

------------------
    Right Now you're reading my post!
    She's a vision from coast to coast...
    Kicking back ain't kicking you...
    Don't disturb my paradise,
    i've asked you once, I asked you nice...
    Up Front Fanatics!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott:
    Which one of the DLR solo albums did you first notice that has voice was loosing it's range? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I love the album, but I feel that Skyscraper wasn't a great vocal album for Dave in places. On songs like The Bottom Line and Hot Dog and a Shake he didn't sound right to me. Of course, part of that seemed to be the structure of the songs, where Dave seemed like he was just trying to cram too many words in there.

It's funny how alot of people use the sales perception to state that Skyscraper was Dave's last great record, because I feel that A Little Ain't Enough blows both Skyscraper and Eat Em and Smile away. ALAE rocks, and Dave sounds fantastic on it in my opinion, much better than he does on Skyscraper.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com