Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I came up with this crazy idea of converting my entire Van Halen collection to MP3's on my computer, and then burn it off on one CD. The idea got a little bit more involved when I came up with the idea of 'remastering'them myself (since I don't have the $$$ to buy them). The results blew me away, so for others out there who are limited in finances I will share how I did it.

First thing I did was looked for an actual remastered version of a song on WinMX and downloaded it. The program I used to do this is Cool Edit Pro...amazing program, you can even record demo's with it if you play or have a band. Anyway, I converted the real remastered song to a wave, and then the same song off my CD. Volume level was the major difference. So as best I could I tried to match the volume levels. There was virtually no difference between mine and the real one. I also expanded the stereo field slightly, which really beefed up the origonal 6 CD's with DLR.

I still have a few more to do from the Sammy era, and I am even going to do III just to see if it makes much difference with it. The biggest difference I have noticed has been with 'Fair Warning' and 'Diver Down' and then 'Van Halen II'. Does this hold true with the real remasters? 5150 also had an incredible difference, but now I wish they could send Al into the studio for a couple weeks and re-record all the drum tracks with real drums.

It is amazing the difference in the volume levels of the first six CD's and just about any CD that comes out today. Does anybody know why this is? Was just curious about it. If you can convert a couple MP3's to waves you will see what I mean.

I must say, I have been working on these for the last 3 days, so I have been constantly listening to VH the whole time. I have also rediscovered the DLR era and now (yes I am saying this) I really want to see DLR back, and I can honestly say now that I get him. What I like best about the DLR era is that as everyone says it is about simple fun which I think music today really needs as most bands today are really depressing.

But, back to my method of home 'remastering', it is very very very time consuming. Has taken up tow 4 hrs to do one CD, which was the first one. Once you get the hang of it the time involved gets cut down to about an hour per CD. All the conversions and ripping are what takes the time.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that because I had amazing results. They might show up on WinMX if you want to try one out. And sorry to mods if this is in wrong area, wasn't sure where to put it, and sorry to be so long.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.02.12 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds cool. I agree with Alex's drums on 5150. Sounded almost as like the drums they use for dance songs.I loved his drum sound on F.U.C.K. Probably that is due to Andy Jones.
    Only adventures that I regret are the ones I missed - DLR

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Try it out on EEAS abd Skyscraper too!
    "So who died and made YOU David Lee Roth???"

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.15.08 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think there are two things we need to consider here.

1. The first 6 albums were mastered to go to vinyl. The levels needed for vinyl are much lower than what a cd can take. Many of the first cd masters that came out in the first few years of cd production didn't take advantage of how loud the cd could be. I remeber when I worked at a cd manufacturing plant, I recorded Diver Down into the computer and was able to normalize (raise the volume to digital zero) each song and I easily got 6 to 9 Db of extra volume from each song. That is a lot louder.

2. Most albums today are run through a processor at the mastering house that basically does what a radio station compressor does, it squashes the crap out of it and takes all the dynamic range out of the songs. Once the songs have a very limited dynamic range, then you can push the loudness curve up to digital zero. When they remastered the first 6, you can be they did this. The quiet parts will be much louder than on the originals, and the overall loudness of the album will be much greater.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brownsound5150: Really interesting information. But I have a question for you. Basically from what I understood, is 'mastering' not just making sure the volume level from one song to another on the CD the same? I recorded with my band in a studio a few years ago and that was kinda how I understood it from the engineer who told us that to get our CD mastered was gonna cost, well more money than we could afford *lol*

Also, I compressed the hell out of a song after reading your post...now I am starting from scratch *lol*...quite a difference.

Thanks for info.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, in the old days the emphasis was just to make sure the levels were relatively constant throughout. But about 5 years ago, TC Electronics and some other companies came out with a box that would compress different frequencies, so you could have anywhere from 3 to 5 compressors going on in different frequencies.

The other major thing this box did that previously has only been able to be done with computer software, is put the peaks at absolute zero on the cd without going into digital overload (square wave clipping, not nice). These boxes can basically suck all the dynamic range out of a song and the meters on the board basically peg at absolute zero and hardly ever move from there. It makes the song really loud and supposedly "ready for radio". This has brought about the so-called mastering house "loudness wars" where they try to make the loudest cd possible without clipping. Many artists are starting to realize what is happening and making sure this doesn't happen to their ablum. I know Eric Johnson made the mastering house redo Venus Isle a couple of times because they had taken all the dynmaic range out of the songs. Labels like it, though, because it creates a punchy song that is loud and gets program director's ears.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By the way, I don't think that's what the mastering house did with the old VH catalog, but most new albums today are like that. I am listening to Joe Satriani's Extremist right now, which is my favorite album by him. I really like the sound of the album, a credit to Andy Johns, but it fatigues my ears because it is so compressed, it's relentless. Every song, even the soft ones start loud and don't let up. I like to have a nice balance.

[ January 14, 2002 at 07:12 AM: Message edited by: BrownSound5150 ]</p>

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

kool stuff!!!

and good to hear your new found appreciation of the DLR era of VH!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Awesome thread. Messing around with audio is my thing.

About expanding the stereo field making a big difference on the first 6: This again can probably be explained by the fact that the first 6 albums were originally mastered for VINYL. They were mastered in stereo, of course, but with vinyl the channel separation is not as discrete because it's physically impossible to have as much channel separation on a vinyl record as there is in a digital format (like a CD.) This is due to the fact that the right and left channels are produced by the record needle either moving HORIZONTALLY or VERTICALLY, and it's very difficult to get the needle moving horizontally with any amplitude without getting at least a little vertical movement... or vice versa. Therefore, the channels tend to bleed and total separation is difficult to attain.

:sound dork:
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The VH remasters are hands down the best of any remastered cds I've heard. No question..

Mastering is like giving a car the brand new, smooth and shiny showroom finish. The mixed song itself is the brand new car, but the polish and shine is all in the mastering.

This is where you balance out the overall frequencies of the final mix. Get the mud out of the low end, crispen up the high end, balance out the mids, and BOOST THAT VOLUME...

in this process, it's not all about getting louder, although it's certainly part of it. the whole thing with EQing is to make a track "breathe." You want to be able to hear nuances and characteristics of each instrument and vocal within the mix, and you are trying to represent these intricate qualities on everything from really expensive soundsystems to walkmen to shitty computer speakers.

the VH remasters kick ass because they really breathed new life into those mixes, and those tracks are PINNED to digital zero without distorting. they get better with every listen.
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH (Translucent Red)
    1993 EBMM EVH (Translucent Yellow)
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang (Translucent Purple)
    2005 EVH Art Series Charvel (Red/White/Black Stripe)
    2009 EVH Wolfgang (Tobacco Sunburst)

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

"See, all I do is make music..." - EVH

"Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR