Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Following Van Halen's surprise departure from Warner Bros. -- the band's base for more than 23 years -- the group's attorney, Alan Mintz, tells Billboard the band is "currently weighing all the options and seeing what the future brings, [but] it's still premature to say where the band will go." He says the band will "seriously consider" major-label offers, but that such a move isn't a given: "These are interesting times."

According to sources, Van Halen's contract was not up with the label, but the two parties negotiated a mutual release. While one source says Van Halen left because Warner Bros. wanted the act to record a new album with former lead singer David Lee Roth (with whom leader Eddie Van Halen had written three songs in 2000, according to Roth), Eddie Van Halen had vetoed that prospect. However, another source says the decision to split "was not a function of where the band was musically. There were business reasons."

The group's last album was 1998's "Van Halen 3," recorded with former Extreme vocalist Gary Cherone, who exited Van Halen the following year. A Warner Bros. representative declined to comment, other than to call the split "amicable." Warner retains the band's masters; the label reissued a handful of older Van Halen albums in September 2000.

-- Melinda Newman, L.A.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for passing that along Billy [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

"These are interesting times." Yes, they are.
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Originally posted from Billboard:
    ...the group's attorney, Alan Mintz, tells Billboard the band is "currently weighing all the options and seeing what the future brings, [but] it's still premature to say where the band will go."
    This is standard P.R. bullshit. "Weighing all the options"? They've been weighing options for what seems like years now.

This is past ridiculous. I'm done. Stick a fork in me.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They have two options if they are to continue as a band, and this is no mystery to anyone:

1. Get back with Dave. Fast.
    2. Retire.

They will not succeed with a fourth singer, nor will they succeed with Sammy Hagar or Michael Anthony. The majority of the fans, myself included, want Dave back. A minority want Hagar back, and an even smaller minority don't care who sings. It's become a cliché, but it's Dave or the Grave.

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why is that DLR backers say its Dave or Nothing....??? and Sammy fans like myself...think a new Roth album would be cool, but we'd rather have Sam back...
    I, personally think that Roth has lost it....he apparently cant write or sing the way he used to and if what this release says is true...maybe Ed who is trying to get healthy and beat Cancer..doesnt want a "stuck in the 80s" Roth around...With his piles of Cocaine on the sound boards in th studio...think about it
    Kev
    keVH

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I wonder if Alan Mintz is now the spokesperson for the band ?

"weighing all options", "seeing what the future brings" ??

What the hell, are they waiting for another "soulmate" ??? Come on already !!

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Originally posted by Lou:
    It's become a cliché, but it's Dave or the Grave.
    Start digging. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, that's right, we don't have to. The band has already done that for us.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FROM BILLBOARD: However, another source says the decision to split "was not a function of where the band was musically. There were business reasons."

Okay, I may be going out on a limb here, but this could mean that they simply couldn't agree on money or royalty rates. I know...that's stretching it. But with this fucking band, anything's possible.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

no it means dave is not back or even sammy, warren bros did say at one time if vh did not take back one or the other, they would drop vh.i think that statement was made after gary left the band.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by kevohman:
    Why is that DLR backers say its Dave or Nothing....??? and Sammy fans like myself...think a new Roth album would be cool, but we'd rather have Sam back...
    I, personally think that Roth has lost it....he apparently cant write or sing the way he used to and if what this release says is true...maybe Ed who is trying to get healthy and beat Cancer..doesnt want a "stuck in the 80s" Roth around...With his piles of Cocaine on the sound boards in th studio...think about it
    Kev
    Dave hasn't lost anything and if you saw him last summer like I did you would have known that.

And quit bringing out the "cancer" card. Eddie's fine. The only thing wrong with Eddie is his head. It's grown too large to fit into the studio any more.

Why do people bash Dave when he's still making music and touring? Eddie's the one that won't talk to the fans and won't make any new music.

Dave wants to make it work; Eddie's the one raining on our parade. Why don't you point the finger of blame where it belongs. On Edward Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member
    i just want my fav band back and touring-vanhalen
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Rikk:
    Okay, I may be going out on a limb here, but this could mean that they simply couldn't agree on money or royalty rates.
    But weren't they already under contract to WB for one more album? If so, what's to agree on? The contract is already signed for the next album. The only negotiation of terms would be for albums AFTER the next one.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

With his piles of Cocaine on the sound boards in th studio...think about it
    Kev
    i thought dave got away from that shizznick. where'd u hear that from?

and they aren't weighing all their options. they have none. either they get dave or sam back, preferably dave. when they have a singer, then they can look at options. kinda hard to have options when you don't have a singer, dontcha think?

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.15.08 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kev
    Uh...is this a trick question?

Nice to see that you'd like to see a record with Roth- and that you're above bashing him- even though you prefer Sammy

[ February 03, 2002 at 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Cult of Roth ]</p>