Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

NAMES & FACES

Author: COMPILED BY CARLOS SELVA FROM WIRE REPORTS

Rock music went out with a bang at the Seattle Center Coliseum as at least 22 persons were injured and 45 citations were issued during a performance by the rock group Van Halen. In addition, police Lt. Roy Wedlund said six persons were arrested on charges that included assaults on four police officers. About 50 persons were kicked out of the Monday night concert, which drew a sellout crowd of about 15,000 people, Wedlund added. Most of those who were cited were minors charged with possession of alcohol, marijuana or fireworks, he said. The concert was the last before the start of a $3 million renovation of the Coliseum, which is being shut down through mid-July.

---
    Remember when concerts were this cool? Man, if the orginal VH gets back together, we have this to look forward to!

-Bostonian

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Shopping List:

Alcohol
    Marijuana
    Fireworks

Van Halen concert tickets

Health insurance

------------------
    I'm dyin' in a crazy place! Will everyone wait, or will they turn away?
    And we don't have much longer. What can't kill me can only make me stronger!

http://maya.iuma.com <-- My Stuff
    http://www.vhvault.com/1989 <-- My Van Halen Page
    VHVault Tribute Radio Rocks Ass! So Listen Already!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

What year was that?

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

This was posted in 1984, it seems the Boston Globe is opening it's archives for free for the month of September... Here is a one from 1986 with the Diamond one on his on in Worchester!

----
    ROTH'S NEW BAND BEATS HIS ANTICS

Author: By Steve Morse, Globe Staff
    Date: 10/06/1986 Page: 23
    Section: ARTS AND FILM

MUSIC REVIEW
    DAVID LEE ROTH -- In concert at the Worcester Centrum

through tonight.

WORCESTER -- In one of his new songs, David Lee Roth asks, "How many times have you said to yourself: I feel like a yo-yo?"

No wonder he asks it.
    By choice, Roth has become rock's leading yo-yo -- a man for whom no outrage is too great nor embarrassment too low.

Now on his first tour since leaving the group, Van Halen, Roth added to his legend last night with some sexual nonsense that had to be seen to believed -- including a ride atop a huge phallic balloon that had his name printed in bold letters on the side. Vanity, in his case, will get you everywhere.

But thankfully there was much more. This wasn't just a night of the clownish Roth doing chauvinistic shuck 'n' jive. His antics were as cartoonish as ever -- from many multicolored, crotch-hugging costume changes to a chest- thumping routine on a raised platform in the middle of the crowd -- but the most lasting memory was definitely the music. It still dwarfed the ringmaster exhibitionism.

The reason was his new band, an array of talents almost unprecedented in the hard-rock field. In the fussin' 'n' feudin' between Roth and Van Halen, not enough has been said about Roth's new personnel. They include former Zappa guitarist-transcriber Steve Vai, former Talas bassist Billy Sheehan (winner of Guitar Player's best rock bassist award) and former Maynard Ferguson drummer Greg Bissonette.

The chemistry is uncanny, and the real find is Vai, labeled "the most exciting rock guitarist since, well, Eddie Van Halen," in this month's issue of Guitar Player. His speed and tone are dazzling, while his whammy-bar noises make it easy to see why Zappa said Vai played "the impossible parts" on his albums.

Vai used some stock stage moves -- wagging his tongue at the audience like Gene Simmons of Kiss and biting his guitar strings like Hendrix -- but he also did such things as swinging the guitar around his neck without missing a beat, taking a bouquet of flowers from the crowd and using them to play slide guitar, making the guitar emulate the words "Massachusetts" and "Worcester kicks ---," and throwing his instrument higher in the air than anyone I've seen.

Sheehan was equally spectacular. He and Vai were given ample room by Roth to play showdown guitar; and the two played some unison two-handed bass and guitar parts in millisecond speeds that just aren't seen often at this level. It was flashy but it was flash that almost no one else could play.

But Roth held his own. He was fully reinvigorated by this band, whether doing his new solo songs ("Goin' Crazy" came across best), or old Van Halen tunes ("Panama," "Unchained" and "I'm on Fire," among others), or oldies like the Nashville Teens' "Tobacco Road" or Beach Boys' "California Girls." He may still be a yo-yo, but he's a yo-yo with a band that's hard to beat.

morse ;10/05 CORCOR;10/07,14:40 ROTH06

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bostonian:
    or old Van Halen tunes ("Panama," "Unchained" and "I'm on Fire," among others<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Damn, Dave was doing Springsteen songs?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bostonian:

Vai used some stock stage moves -- wagging his tongue at the audience like Gene Simmons of Kiss
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That just turns me on

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

balance
    Last Online

04.17.05 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess old news is better than no news! Thanks for posting that article, it gives us something to remember and look forward to at the same time!

------------------
    "common sense ain't common"

On Fire
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lead Synth:
    Shopping List:

Alcohol
    Marijuana
    Fireworks

Van Halen concert tickets

Health insurance

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on Lead Synth, all I need now is the concert tickets.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Hey all you great VH fans :

Love this thread, brings back the best memories. I think Dave's tour last year was so awesome. It just gave us all a taste of what we all want....

Some classic VH !! bring it back.....

Eddie did you call Dave yet ? Mike did you convince Alex that Dave should be the singer ? And we wait, and wait.............

THANKS !!!

Red-Balled Mammoth
    Lyrics to one of Dave's solo songs here tells us what's gonna happen: "We'll be havin' good times...damn good times"

------------------
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.24.12 @ 01:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That top post reminds me of a funny headline that turned up a a local newspaper a while back...

"Fireworks & Alcohol - a lethal cocktail"

That's one hell of a mixer...!!