Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Yesterday I picked up a copy of Guitar World's Guitar Legends special issue on Jimi Hendrix Live... It's really a good read!!!

Jimi being a flamboyant front man of his time... I drew a coorelation to Dave, while reading a preface to an indepth look at the legacy/history of Hendrix's short lived life...

Here's an excerpt that I felt really could be applied to Dave's legacy/history...

The passing years have only served to obscure "the real Jimi" even further. Several generations of revisionists, from well-meaning rock historians to self serving opportinists, have their way with his life story and musical legacy. The historical process has inevitably reduced Hendrix to a caricature. Like much that belongs to rock's rich and raunchy history, poor Jimi's been Disney-fied. A complex artist has been reduced to a dumbed down, one-dimentional image. The highly marketable Jimi icon (big old afro and upside-down Strat) has taken it's place alongside the Marilyn icon (skirt wooshing skyward) and Elvis icon ( pompadour and sneer) on the wall mural of the ersatz malt shop called commercialized nostalgia.
    Zahzoo adds... one could consider the Dave icon (Spandex clad flying kick from the drum riser and ass-less chaps) in this mural.
    To Disney-fy an artist is to divorce him from his historical context. In the case of a musician, this means separating his music from the meanings, emotional perspectives and critical implications it held for it's original audience, so as to make it remarketable to subsequent listeners. And in Hendrix's case, present day listeners are often bobbing devout heads to music that was completely unknown to jimi's original audience.

While revisionist iconographers have attempted to cast Hendrix as somekind of wizard, diety, or clairvoyant spaceman, he did play bum notes and uninspired drivel at times, just like any other guitarist. So the first step in finding the real Jimi Hendrix is learning to distinguish the music he specifically created for album release from all the marginalia that's out there. To cultivate a real understanding of Hendrix, it's essential to view him in the context of his times. In sound, style, and spirit, Hendrix was quintessentially a guitar player of the Sixties, a time when rock music was undergoing what many consider it's greatest creative burst.
    I could take the last sentence and modify it to fit Dave and this really struck home with me...

To cultivate a real understanding of David Lee Roth, it's essential to view him in the context of his times. In sound, style, and spirit, Dave was quintessentially a singer/front man of the Eighties, a time when Hard rock music was undergoing what many consider it's greatest creative burst.

Discuss...?
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was a really interesting article and a very good point man. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I like the word Disney fied too. It is a perfect word for what happens to people over time...like Elvis and Marylin and Hendrix. Those were perfect examples. George Washington too...there are a lot of things about Washington that history forgotten just because he has pretty much been deafied in our culture and history...But there are a lot of things most people will never know because all they see is the one dimensional image we are told about.

I could see it happening to DLR...he may be remembered just like you said, jumping off a drum riser in spandex...people may forget that he was more than a joker or an 80's novelty act. I think Fair Warning is all people will need to here to debunk the Disney fied DLR image though.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very good points about Hendrix. Van Roth may have to worry about becoming Disney'fied or already has.

DLR was never important enough as an individual to have to worry about being Disney'fied. He doesn't have to worry about being turned into Monroe, Elvis, Hendrix or Washington, though I'm sure he would love that problem. His main concern is to be just forgot.

Had DLR died after '1984' maybe becoming 'commercialized nostalgia' could be a issue but since he just became a washed up front man no one would waist their time to try and Disney'fy him. Though his latest videos seem to show that HE seems to be giving it the old JUCO try to Disney'fy himself.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Didn't Dave start off pretty much Disney-fied?

I mean, wasn't that the point? The incarnate front man. The comsumate show-man of the western world? I think he worked really hard to combine all of those archetypes of entertainment and hit the ground running (ahem) as that icon. The brilliance of Dave lied in that while he could be perceived as simple "toast-master" personified he could also be perceived, by those with the insight to recognize it, to be a damn-near Bukowski.

If anything I feel it was Ed that was Disney-fied as being a one dimensional gun slinger finger tapping and jumping "the splits". Ed was never perceived by the masses to be as brilliant of a musician, or "sonic artisan" if you will, as he truly is.

I think that's why we see what he has become.

Frustrated and reclusive.

And Dave has simply become a Disney character.

Namely the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland.

[ January 13, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: willyum ]
    not another dime from me, fellas...

tinzen

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well, if "Disney fied" is code for an artist's most memorable moment in time, then why should that be a negative thing?

Marilyn Monroe peaked as a celebrity when she stood above that air vent and her skirt flew. It has become in essence a historical snapshot in time.

There are thousands of "them" out there for all of us. They are those defining moments in time, sometimes of a generation, for whatever reason, capture a feeling, an essence of that exact moment and embody it.

When I see that shot of Dave flying off the drum riser, to me that captured the glory years of Van Halen. I see it and it's 1984 all over, I'm in high school, with my walkman playing Van Halen, it's nostaligia man!

Is that all there was to it?

No, of course not.

To a true fan of that era, that picture speaks to so much more.

But, could someone who only looked at that picture think that was all there was? I guess they could. Although, I would like to think people are smart enough to know there is more to a person than one, or just a few images.

[ January 13, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: CHRIS ]
    This Member:Van Halen Fan EST. 1978

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He did it to himself. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cool deal. I understand where you are coming from.
    If anything I feel both Jimi AND Eddie Van Halen are misunderstood by many out there, especially in the music press & media.
    Jimi seems to get tons of respect and is treated as a holy man and Eddie isnt?
    Yet both men where "THE" guitar player in their respective eras and both men gave all their heart and soul to music and to their instrument.
    Jimi is often refered to as "soulfull" while Eddie is often refered to as "flashy"?
    WHY?
    And who the hell can measure & define soul anyways?
    Do only blues players have soul? Don't classical musicians or flamenco players play with all their heart & soul? These are the double standards cast out there.
    If anyone was "flashy" it was Hendrix!!
    Running around in skin tight colorful outfits, wearing colorful headbands, pulling out all the old tricks blues players did- playing behind the back, behind his head, between his legs.
    Smashing his instrument like Townshend and then lighting it on fire. He even wore feather boas onstage, FEATHER BOAS!!
    All the while standing there onstage pointing at chicks in the crowd while he played, winking at them, sticking his tongue out at them, humping his guitar and even cracking jokes between songs!!

Oh, but Jimi is "soulfull" while Eddie is "flashy". See what I mean?
    Yea, Eddie is just some guy who "taps"..lol..
    Nevermind the fact he rarely taps and 99% of the time all he really does is play great rythm and write great tunes.
    Not that Hendrix is totally immune.
    Our golden boy Jimi couldnt give his records away here in the States when he was alive!
    What was America thinking to ignore such a talent? Even when he closed the Woodstock Festival the place was almost empty!!
    And he is now portrayed by many as just some "crazy spaced out brother who broke his guitar."..
    I think a lot of people dont realize these are 2 of the greatest fuckin' musical talents of the 20th century.

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well, Dave is "Goofy"