Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Can Dave do it?

Eruption
    Last Online

10.31.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 144 Times in 100 Posts

I was just wonderig the other day. After all the hype and rumors, it seems that Dave will be back with the boys soon.

Just in advance: this is a completely neutral question, because I love all three "incarnations" of VH (eventhough the late Sammy and Gary "eras" are my favs).

But, do you guys think Dave is up to singing the stuff from Sammy and Gary? I mean, Dave never rally was a good singer. He was a performer on stage, but he barely could hit a note right.

Since he left, VH has developed a lot, the music has gotten way more complex, including the vocals.

I'm just worried that there won't be too much non-Dave songs on the tours with DLR, or that VH goes back to the original simpler music they recorded back in the old days.

In advance, a great weekend to all!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Moot point. I don't see any reason why Dave SHOULD do any of their stuff. The rumors that have been flying around have been that he has gone on record as saying he wouldn't do any one else's songs.

------------------

"Kissing my ass won't do anything but give you bad breath." -sherman

*gulp* - Down In Flames

"Come on FORD, tell us how you really feel." - Said by virtually every member of VHLinks at one time or another.

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    You can't stop the musical growth of the band and I'm sure that's an issue that is taking some time for them in the writing process.

I sure hope the don't just revert back to their song receipe from the 70's. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but they already did that.

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sek- I am in agreement with you. If you remove Dave's antics and showmanship he is a very mediocore singer. Gary and Sammy have much better vocal ability and range. If he is infact back(which I am still not 100% convinced of)it's going to be very little about his vocal ability and more about the event, money and getting VH back in the limelight.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the 50th million time, yes! Dave does not have a great singin' voice. We all f#@king know that. His voice isn't a strong as Sammy's nor does it have Gary's range. But you know what? IMO, neither one of those guys has what I'd call a unique voice. There are hundreds, thousands of great guitar players, but few as unique as Edward Van Halen. DO YOU GUYS GET MY POINT! The Van Halen bros with Mike Anthony are terrific musicians. But with Dave at the helm, I think this just emphasizes it more. With Sammy, Van Halen was a great band, with Dave they were a LEGENDARY band. It's just one of those once in a lifetime things.

------------------
    Alright You Sinners, Swing!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By today's standards Dave has a great singing voice. Just compare him to any one of the idiots who played the vma's last night and you'll agree. I don't think he's as good a singer as Sammy but it really doesn't matter since both are unique in their own ways. Don't get me started on Gary's singing voice cause it would be bad. As for Dave not playing any Sammy or Gary stuff I ask who cares? I just want to see Van Halen back again. There's more than enough of the old stuff (and hopefully new stuff) for Dave to sing anyway.

------------------
    Fuck you MTV!!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Like most people, I don't think Dave will do any of the post 1984 stuff. I don't think he could handle most of it, but that's not a criticism because it's material that isn't in his range. I'd certainly like to see Dave take great care of his voice. I've only heard two boots from his 1999 tour, and though his voice sounds okay, I don't find it to be as strong as some people do.

diamonds4ever
    Dave sings with balls. Who wants to hear him sing mediocre ballads with simple lyrics. The music may have "advanced" but the lyric writing certainly never did. Anything after 1984 just never sounded as exciting and heart pumping. I could care less about hearing them do any of the Sammy and Gary stuff. Let them do it theirselves in their own shows. Sammy is much better solo. I like his stuff solo better than anything he did with Van Halen. It just didn't mix well. Daveness is what Van Halen needs.

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dropdead- I agree 100% as in most all of my post I state that Eddie is the heart and soul of VH and none of the lead vocalist would have risen to the level of fame they had without him. That's not even an argument, nor speculation history has proven that.
    Sydney- I agree with you also, I can't for the life of me figure out what people see in bands like Limp'Dick" Bisquit. Most of the shit ain't even singing it's just screaming at the top of your lungs into the mike. The biggest mystery to me is a band like "the Kenny Wayne Shepard' band who has a fantastic lead vocalist and one of the top three "New" guitarest, has very mediocore success. I guess it's the times. When you come from era of bands like LZ,VH,Queen,Pink Floyd, this new stuff has zero immagination and creativity in my opinion.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.22.12 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think DLR will sing any Sammy or Gary stuff, just like I don't think EVH will play any Steve Vai, Mike Hartman, etc. stuff.

Jim
    http://jimurban.home.mindspring.com

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.06 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

who cares if dave can sing good. thats what im not thinking when i here him. he just has a cool voice!!!!!!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I AGREE eddie van sasquatch - a true vh fan doesnt want to hear dave sing sammy & sam sing dave ,....a couple years of all dave ,we are gonna miss the sammy tunes , just like we missed the dave stuff when sam was in the band......but i have to admit sam did one unbelievable version of jump !

------------------
    IN 1984 VH JUMPED PANAMA TOPPED JIMMY AND DROPPED DEAD LEGS?..I'LL WAIT.