Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.22.07 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

from various San Gabriel Valley newspapers

Singer David Lee Roth sued by ex- manager
    $80,000 lawsuit alleges breach of contract, age bias

By Howard Breuer , Staff Writer

PASADENA -- Original Van Halen lead singer David Lee Roth is being sued by his longtime manager, who claims Diamond Dave cut him loose last year at age 43 because he wanted "younger blood.'

Kieren McClelland's breach-of- contract and age-discrimination lawsuit asks for roughly $80,000, mostly in unpaid wages and benefits. The amount includes $7,000 worth of bills from wireless phones that Roth, 47, allegedly acquired in McClelland's name without his consent.

McClelland says he also wants Diamond Dave Enterprises to return personal items kept in the company's office and a storage locker in Pasadena.

They include several microphones and other electronic equipment, McClelland's Pink Floyd and Bela Fleck CDs, parts for a Chevrolet El Camino car, photographs of McClelland's daughter and drawings by the daughter.

McClelland's attorney, Ellen Serbin who filed the lawsuit Nov. 14 in Pasadena Superior Court declined to discuss the complaint.

No one was in the offices of Diamond Dave Enterprises when a reporter visited Friday.

Roth attended Pasadena's Muir High School, and as a teen began singing with Arcadia's guitar- and drum-playing brothers Eddie and Alex Van Halen in a band originally known as Mammoth.

After repeated disagreements, the cantankerous Roth quit the band in 1985 to pursue a solo career. He toured over the summer in a double-bill with Sammy Hagar who followed Roth as the singer in Van Halen but Roth wouldn't talk to Hagar or get on stage with him.

Others also have sued Roth for allegedly not paying his debts. The Manhattan-based public relations firm 2 Guys Who Do Ads claims Roth owes $110,000 in outstanding fees for creating his official Web site. And a Houston tour manager and booking agent says Roth owes more than $50,000 in contractual booking fees.

McClelland says he worked for Roth for a decade as his property manager, sound engineer, office manager, live and studio engineer, production manager and graphic artist.

He says that, in 1999, Roth fired his personal manager and had McClelland take on those duties as well.

But July 4, 2001, McClelland says Roth fired him without grounds, saying he wanted "younger blood.' Roth then gave the job to McClelland's younger assistant, McClelland said.

On April 8, McClelland filed an age-discrimination complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing. The following day, the agency issued a Notice of Right to Sue.
    <a href="http://www.kilroyinteractive.com" target="_blank">www.kilroyinteractive.com</a>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.30.06 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This sort of thing is fairly standard in the entertainment industry. Judging from the job he did, he wasn't doing anything that well. Some of the suits against Roth were during his period of management anyway. So much for his ability. In any case, this ain't a big deal. It's EXTREMELY FUNNY that Dave has pictures of his daughter though. You can't make up shit that cool. Judging by that alone, Dave ain't missed a step!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Ain't missed a step? He can't pay his bills and is being sued in part for some CDs, pictures of a guy's kid, and parts to an old car. How fuckin' cool is that?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can't pay his bills? Gimme a break, it's in litigation, no one owes anything yet. You believe only one party's side? God, good thing you don't work for an insurance company. This shit is a constant in the entertainment world. It's why EVERY artist has teams of lawyers on retainer. Here's a hot tip, research the subject and write back when you can.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It, amongst other things, is in litigation because Dave's developed a pattern of not paying his bills. A constant in the entertainment world? That may be, but DLR's name comes up fairly often. Much more often than most. I'm certain you have great insight and experience in the field of entertainers not ponying up the dough. Perhaps you'd like to explain to me why these things happen to Dave more than they do to his ex-bandmates. Must just be a patch of bad luck, eh?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.22.07 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At one of the Hagar/Roth shows in SoCal, a friend who is a successful and well known producer asked to speak with Roth, through this "the younger assistant", because he was looking for an out-of-left-field guest vocalist for a very high profile project on a certain music business icon's new label.

This guy acted like we were fans looking for an autograph (after my known-commodity friend gave him a business card) and just ignored the request, entirely.

We had to laugh, because Roth needs a hit like a bum needs a sandwich. And the last thing he (or his management) should be doing is looking a gift horse in the mouth, and disregarding an opportunity to be involved with what is, in fact, a top 10 hit right now.
    <a href="http://www.kilroyinteractive.com" target="_blank">www.kilroyinteractive.com</a>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave fired the guy. He fired him because he did a BAD JOB. Most of the lawsuits stem from the time he handled Dave's affairs. An age discrimination suit based on heresay from the 4th of July? Car parts, CD's, pictures of his daughter? This thing is so funny I hope The Daily Show on Comedy Central does a bit about it. Dave had bad management at a time when things were in a state of flux w/the departure of Ed Anderson, who stole from him. Dave had a manager who did a BAD JOB. There is a lot of stuff when anyone changes management as I'm sure Eddie and company are familiar with. This is just part of cleaning up the mess, albeit painfully.

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"The Manhattan-based public relations firm 2 Guys Who Do Ads claims Roth owes $110,000 in outstanding fees for creating his official Web site."

If I were Dave, I wouldn't pay them a dime!!
    Have you seen his website?!?!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Actually, I can only assume this is related to the Slawterhouse site?!?!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:
    Perhaps you'd like to explain to me why these things happen to Dave more than they do to his ex-bandmates. Must just be a patch of bad luck, eh?
    Maybe because his ex-bandmates haven't done a goddam thing in the past 4 years except sit at home and collect royalty checks from their past glories when they were actually a band.
    "You gotta do me a favor and let these (people) have a good time, alright? A little bit of (vulgar term for breast) and their hands in the air ain't gonna hurt anybody" - Nikki Sixx

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6:30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

Ed Anderson stole from Dave, eh? Wasn't Ed Anderson supposed to be his partner in crime, his best bud that went all over the world with him. Now that guy stole from him... nice.
    Dave's being sued left & right... nice. He created a DVD that made no sense and went nowhere... nice.
    Doesn't that paint a rather gloomy picture, when you combine all the elements... one that suggests that DLR is now a deluded, paranoid individual who has compeltely lost touch with reality, in the middle of a drug-induced crazyness. He's still putting out a party animal "front" that fools no one. The Emperor is naked, indeed.

This may piss-off a lot of Rothbots, but all this sounds not very far from some of Sammy's comments on the guy (and that's not saying that Sam or the VH bros don't have their own issues as well).
    Little Dreamer

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Redtards conveniently forget Sammy's legal spat with biographer David Huff a few years back.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/142...28/story.jhtml

Huff had apparently finished a biography of Sam (titled "Red Storm Arising" LOL). Sam apparently cooperated and participated in the creation of the book.

Sam apparently did not like what Huff said about him in certain parts of the book and -- and -- "the two had had a falling out over financial issues."

Huff sued Sam for breach of contract.

Sam disputed ownership and won a restraining order temporarily blocking distribution of the book. I'm guessing there was an out of court monetary settlement because I never saw any further reporting on the case.

Also of note, this article says that "complicating the issue is threatened legal action against the author by Van Halen manager Ray Daniels."

Finally, need I remind Ed-tards that your hero threatened legal action against fansites using the Van Halen logo or Frankenstein stripes?

This is a litigous group of -- cough cough -- "artists."

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Them damn lawyers getting involved again.

Litigation is getting to be too much in this country. I sue you, you sue me, when does it stop?
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Raldo:
    Them damn lawyers getting involved again.

Litigation is getting to be too much in this country. I sue you, you sue me, when does it stop?
    When the lawyers have all the money. Give it to them and save us all the time.
    I've got the cure you're thinking of.<br />------------------<br />Remixed! Van Halen covers done by my band: <br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Dreams.mp3" target="_blank">Dreams</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Panama.mp3" target="_blank">Panama</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Unchained.mp3" target="_blank">Unchained</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/AtomicPunk.mp3" target="_blank">Atomic Punk</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/SomebodyGetMeADoctor.mp3" target="_blank">Somebody Get Me a Doctor</a><br /><br />NEW: Burning Tires and Dr. Love:<br /><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/HearAboutItLater.mp3" target="_blank">Hear About It Later</a>

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Originally posted by Kilroy:

They include several microphones and other electronic equipment, McClelland's Pink Floyd and Bela Fleck CDs, parts for a Chevrolet El Camino car, photographs of McClelland's daughter and drawings by the daughter.
    Hmm, doesn't sound closer to a BAD breakup, as in a lover's quarrel...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DA BIG D:
    Dave fired the guy. He fired him because he did a BAD JOB. Most of the lawsuits stem from the time he handled Dave's affairs. An age discrimination suit based on heresay from the 4th of July? Car parts, CD's, pictures of his daughter? This thing is so funny I hope The Daily Show on Comedy Central does a bit about it. Dave had bad management at a time when things were in a state of flux w/the departure of Ed Anderson, who stole from him. Dave had a manager who did a BAD JOB. There is a lot of stuff when anyone changes management as I'm sure Eddie and company are familiar with. This is just part of cleaning up the mess, albeit painfully.
    Did a BAD JOB!?
    Dave made more money this past summer than he's made in the LAST TEN YEARS!!! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

I'm not saying this a legitimate case, but there does seem to be a pattern here...
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie