Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I'm just wondering...

Just say Sammy re-joins Van Halen, totally reinvigorated after touring with Dave and records an album full of songs like 'Humans Being' (his most recent offering with VH)...

Would you one-eyed Roth fans give him a chance?

There were plenty of Van Hagar songs that were heavier than some of the mellower Dave era tunes.

What if he dropped his so called "cheesy" stylings and recorded the album of flat out, hard rock songs that the music world has been craving?

I've never had a problem with Sam's songs, but I think that if he can get back with Eddie and record a hard rocking album, the people that do should look beyond the Van Hagar stigma and accept the release as a new body of work. You might even enjoy it.
    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Favorite VH Album

FW, ADKoT, VH1, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Blood & Fire, ATBL
    Last Online

01.06.13 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a hardcore fan of both eras. To me, Balance IS one of the best recordings in the VH catalog. Great songs, production and it had a very spiritual vibe throughout. "Humans Being" is one of the best songs VH did with Sammy. Looking back now it's kind of strange that Dave left the band when he did and Sam left when he did. Could Van Halen have followed up 1984 with a better offering with Dave on vocals? Could they get better than Balance with Sammy singing?
    At this point we'll never know the answer to either. When and if Vh puts out new music I'll buy it. Why? 'Cause I'm a fan.

I am one who would love to see a cd/tour featuring Sam and Dave though. Maybe BOV2 featuring a few new tracks!?
    "The music of Van Halen is vital."-David Lee Roth-1978

VH Shows....
    10-22-1988 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    10-15-1991 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    10-16-1991 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    04-28-1995 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    05-24-1998 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    09-09-2004 - Tampa Forum - Tampa, FL
    02-14-2008 - Amway Arena - Orlando, FL
    05-09-2008 - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ
    04-12-2012 - Amway Center - Orlando, FL

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

love balance..

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....coming off of 1984...5150 SAVED THERE ASS'S......I remember it clearly...it was a new vibe in the air a new begining.....I would like to hear dave's take on summer nights..i know that the record was worked up with dave was it called summer nights ?
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Balance was and is a GREAT album. I loved the darker direction VH was going at the time and it was cemented with Humans Being. Ahhhhh those were indeed the days.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes to Shove
    Last Online

07.04.07 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To me, VH was at its best when they were recording songs that were 'not too deep'.

They are best at intricate, yet fun rock and roll. They are NOT the best at deep, spiritual, ballad-type songs. Not that their ballads are all that bad, its just not what they are best at. When I'm in a reflective, thoughtful mood, VH is not my first choice!!

The faster and harder they play, the better they are. Sammy can do this (not as good as Dave once did, but still pretty good).

As for Hagar's VH albums, 5150 is far and away the best because the songwriting was better (with or without dreams and love walks in). Sammy's performances have never really changed much with is a credit to him, being 54 and all.

So my point to all this is that as a solid Dave and Dave-era fan, I would give new Van Hagar stuff a chance as song as they aren't too many songs like 'Not Enough', etc.

I must say that my gripes are not all Sammy's fault. EVH's songwriting has obviously changed since the mid 80's.

All in all, I still look forward any VH release!
    "No band has come close to duplicating the original Van Halen's truly distinct blend of showbiz bravado and musical ingenuity -- certainly not the band that continues to call itself Van Halen, offering up countless botched reunion attempts and a string of marginal post-Dave albums, and packing arenas just the same." CDNOW

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes to Shove
    Last Online

07.04.07 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PS.

I my opinion, the best SOUNDING Vh Album was Fair Warning, with 1984 as a close second.

Fair Warning was so 'balanced' (excuse the pun). You could hear all parts perfectly.

Starting with 5150, the guitar sounds become more and more thin, and the drums (esp. the snare) became less and less 'full'.

Just my opinion =)
    "No band has come close to duplicating the original Van Halen's truly distinct blend of showbiz bravado and musical ingenuity -- certainly not the band that continues to call itself Van Halen, offering up countless botched reunion attempts and a string of marginal post-Dave albums, and packing arenas just the same." CDNOW

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,579 Times in 4,935 Posts

I never got the vibe that any VH song was "deep." I never found Sammy's lyrics that perplexing or even thought-provoking, they were just lyrics to me. Same with Dave, I just think Dave has a more tongue-in-cheek sense of humor lyrically than Sam.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Since Sammy left/got kicked out of Van Halen, he has tried some different directions on his solo albums. For me, I like the straight-up, fun rock and roll songs. The 'Red Voodoo' album has a fun sound to it. 'Ten13' was darker and heavier. I think Sammy would bring some good rock and roll to go along with Ed's writing. Like Sammy said recently, I think they have to go back to being friends again. With all that Ed has been through, I think it's time to bury the hatchet.

As for 'Balance', it's a good album. I wish they would have put lyrics to 'Baluchit...'.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,579 Times in 4,935 Posts

"Balance" was a very sonically strong album, no matter if you like the music or not. Ed's tone was warmer and way less-processed than previous albums, Al's drums never sounded better, and you could actually hear some bass without having to turn up the "bass" knob. Very solid production.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since we are speaking so much about Balance I will throw my hat in the ring. Many bands over the years have had to make statements that this will be a "new sound" for us. The do this because they have run our of ideas or their old sound has become dated.
    When Balance was released it was with very little fanfare, but was a true departure from what VH had been doing in the past. The difference is that it worked. Many bands can't pull it off. Def Leppard is one band who crashed when they tried to make a change. Motley Crue is another. To a lesser extent it has worked for Metalica and U2.

KR
    If it will rock we will roll.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:52 AM
    Liked 2,086 Times in 678 Posts

I would love it. Something darker, deeper, heavy.

Humans Being is a great song.
    So is Seventh Seal.
    Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do.
    Judgement Day.
    Right Now.
    Mine All Mine.

Then, for balance...
    some fun heavy rock, like
    AFU Naturally Wired
    Source of Infection
    Get Up
    Poundcake
    that kinda stuff...

And then throw in some Respect The Wind.

And some new guitar solo that blows our minds.
    Something innovative, like the old days.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

That's what I would hope for if Sammy and Eddie hook up again.
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,388 Times in 762 Posts

Deep & spiritual Van Hagar song:

"The Seventh Seal"

one of their best, in my opinion.
    Little Dreamer

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a Dave fan, my problem with Sammy is not on album, but live. I think both F.U.C.K. and 5150 are classic VH albums. The thing is, the setlists with Sammy have always sucked (IMO). If they would pull out a setlist like they did on the III tour, I would have no problem with Sammy coming back. It is Sammy's reluctance towards the old stuff that I have a problem with.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

When I first heard Balance I thought it was so-so. At that time I was into real heavy music, so I had a tough time appreciating songs like Not Enough or Can't Stop Loving You.

When I heard the first single DTMWLCD, I was pretty excited. I wanted the whole album to be at least that heavy, but it wasn't. Outside of Feelin and Baluchitherium, (no lyrics needed [img]smile.gif[/img] )I was pretty bummed.

When I first started playing rock music it was because I heard some guy in a music store playing unchained. I think it was that day I went out and bought FW and soon after all the other Dave-era tapes. I absolutely love that stuff. That's the stuff that made me want to play guitar.

When 5150 came out I went nuts for the stuff. I really got on board with Sam in VH. I loved OU812, although the production sucked. I liked FUCK, and by time Balance came out I wasn't too thrilled with VH. Too pop, too radio, and not heavy enough.

Fast forward to 2000, I started posting here, and the Sam vs. Dave debate was raging full force. I went back and listened to all of the VH recordings to see where I stood on the issue.

I noticed straight away that there was a drastic difference between the Dave era and the Sam era. While it was happening, I didn't really notice any difference, outside of the fact that the solos were easier to learn. The Dave era was a total party vibe, very youthful and fun. The Sam era felt more and more serious, mature and song/band-based. The Dave era sounds like tunes that are written while jamming in a room, while the Sam era seems more crafted, thought out, and more developed.

I find that I gravitate towards the Sam era of VH for a number of reasons. To me, the music is more substantial. It's a little more than 3-4 riffs thrown together.

Sam is IMO the best rock vocalist out there.

Sam is a musician and adds that dynamic to the band.

His stage show is more real then Dave's to me. The way I see it, Sam goes out there and lets the music and his personality guide the show. With Dave it his whole thing is show.

I grew up while the Sam era was happening. I had never really thought about it before, but my buddy was saying a while ago that a big part of what you identify with is what was current while you were growing up. With regards to VH, I was 11 when 1984 came out, so I kind of missed the whole Dave-era.

I think there was a definite growth, or change from album to album with Sam. In retrospect Balance is to me the best Sam era album. It was darker, more diverse then the others. It was the start of something huge to me. If they had kept it together I think the follow up to Balance would have been great.

I do think that Sam is VH's only viable option if they're going to try and put something other than a nostalgia act together. I think Sam has shown that he can still deliver, and the direction of 10/13 tells me that Sam can do the darker heavier stuff easily.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium