Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All, but a VERY few!
    Last Online

11.03.16 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

certain moderators feeling the need to send posts to other areas of the forum? It seems like this happens a lot on here. If this is the Main Vh discussion page, then I think that anything about Van Halen would qualify. Why the need to move so many threads? It's not that busy of a board. What's the problem with just letting a post ride where it's launched? Is it the power or are you guys just anal retentive? I'm not trying to be a dick I just feel a little too policed, that's all.

Let me guess, this one is better suited for the forum feedback room. Well, at least I can get my message out here for a while.

[ January 03, 2002 at 08:59 AM: Message edited by: evhesq ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.07.13 @ 04:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not a mod here...or a webmaster.

I have my own board that I co-web with a few others.

There are forum names that have specific type discussion. Is moving that big a deal? No...it shouldn't be to the person posting. Perhaps you only post in main, and don't really pay any attention to the other forums. Perhaps you post it in main to have people see it for a bit. Either way...if it's not something that the mods or the webbies deem important, than it should be moved. That's why there are webbies. That's why there are mods. It's not a power trip, it's what they do. That's why Brett, or the webbies at the Army hire moderators...to MODERATE THE FREAKIN' BOARD. They are people that are here often, that we trust to move shit, and control shit so it doesn't get out of hand.

Dude, it's not really that big a deal.

It's not like anyone's posting the Declaration of Independance...

Perhaps a manifesto or two...

[ January 03, 2002 at 09:18 AM: Message edited by: POJO_Risin ]</p>
    EUAS

"I remember those days at the Links when everything you posted on EUAS was like the fucking communist manifesto"--ICON--2002

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

No, we're not anal retentive here either.

It's just that we have a MUCH better and well organized site than the Dome. Opinions and such are fine, but all it does in forums like this is clutter things up. THAT is one of the big things that made the PD so conjested, IMO.

It's really not that big of a deal, is it? I mean, just because you want to read a book about Gene Simmons doesn't mean necessarily you're going to find it in the "non-fiction" section. (Personally, I'd file it in "fiction" but that's just me. ) If you can't back something up with solid facts OR discussions become more opinion based, then it belongs in a different forum. Wouldn't you agree?

BTW, I'm sending this to Feedback.

DOH! I can't do that. LOL
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 11,544 Times in 4,918 Posts

What you guys seem to be not understanding is that it is not a BAD THING to have a topic moved to another forum. Where that came from I'll never know, but it's a complete misconception. I have no idea about other boards, and frankly I'm not all that interested in how they keep their topics and when they move things, it's not my concern, I can only speak for why we do it.

There are 13 active forums on this board, and the reason there are 13 forums is so that discussions have definite areas of focus. If you put a topic in the Main forum and it fits better in one of the other 12 forums, it's going to be moved if we see the need to do so. See the point having many forums is to use them, not have one forum that people have designated as the dumping ground for all of their posts and activity. The forums have different purposes and if you are a person that doesn't want to view the different forums, well there's not much we can do to help you, but the moving of posts has nothing to do with "power," it has to do with order, end of story.

If you call moving posts "over-policing" of the board, then fine, we over-police. That's why I have moderators, to keep discussion flowing and to keep discussions in their proper forums. Sure there is spillover, and sure we don't move EVERY topic to another place, it's a judgement call. Somehow most people are perceiving a post moved to any place but the "Main VH Discussion" an insult to them or "censorship," "policing" or some other melodramatic term.

It's funny, you never see ANYONE cry when a post is moved from one of the other forums into Main, or between each other, it's only when stuff about "My Newest VH Rumor" or "VH Sucks And Now I'm Going to State My Opinion, But I Don't Want To Use The Opinion Forum Because It's Not Main," that is moved from Main that seems to irk people. If the PD has soured people with the movement of topics, it's only because 90% of what was posted in that Full Mugambi forum had no business there in the first place. What did you guys expect the mods to do, there is a point to having multiple forums.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

as one of the longtime VHforums mods, and the mod of this forum in particular, i don't think we overpolice anything.

in fact, i've let A LOT more stuff go as opposed to the way i used to be. there hasn't been as much happening in the past year as you all well know.

we simply try to divvy up the topics to the forums they belong in. it's the best way for all the users to get to the info they want as fast as possible.

unless of course, the thread is complete garbage, in which case it never lasts anyway.

[img]graemlins/santa.gif[/img]
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH (Translucent Red)
    1993 EBMM EVH (Translucent Yellow)
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang (Translucent Purple)
    2005 EVH Art Series Charvel (Red/White/Black Stripe)
    2009 EVH Wolfgang (Tobacco Sunburst)

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

"See, all I do is make music..." - EVH

"Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

"Certain moderators..."!?! Dammit, name names, I always wanted to make the big time.

I really don't understand why some people seem to have such an aversion to the other VH forums here. A post in no less worthy if it's in one of the other forums. I moderate the Main Discussion, but to me the success of this site is based around ALL the forums being active. There's no victory to having 100 active topics in Main and having the other forums be devoid of posting.

And moderating isn't an exact science. If a person stared at a topic long enough they could find a reason to move EVERY topic out of Main. Obviously we don't do that, but you have to understand that if the first words of your topic are "I think Van Halen should", it's probably a post that belongs in the Opinions Forum. If you post it in Main, and we move it, it's not out of anger or power, it's simply to put it where it best fits, and we'd love for you to go to the Opinions forum and continue the discussion.

Keep in mind that we always explain where a topic has been moved to, so anyone who clicks on it in Main can easily find it if they want to discuss it further in it's new forum. Why a lot of people don't want to follow topics once they leave Main is beyond me, the rest of the forums are just as valid as Main.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All, but a VERY few!
    Last Online

11.03.16 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I think I came accross as a prick and I didn't mean to. I was clicking on a lot of posts and it seemed that a lot of the posts I was reading had been moved to or moved from another discussion room. Sorry if I came accross like an ass, It just annoyed me for some reason. I guess the answer to my original question is "No, no one else is annoyed by this."

Well, I should have kept my mouth shut. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

No man, if you have issues and questions, ask them! [img]smile.gif[/img] My response was not meant to be inflammatory, just my general take and position on the moving of threads.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by evhesq:
    Let me guess, this one is better suited for the forum feedback room. Well, at least I can get my message out here for a while. <hr></blockquote>

With that statement, you undercut your own point and proved ours.

You knew that the thread wasn't related to the forum, but still, you started it to get your message out here.

As others have explained, having a thread moved to another forum isn't a bitchslap to the creator of the topic nor is it an ego trip on behalf of whoever moved it, bro.

Keeping the board streamlined is a good thing. The longer you stick around, the more you'll notice that.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

evhesq - I know it's been said already, bro - but there's absolutely no reason for anybody to feel insulted by a thread being moved - there's no power trips or dirty motives involved. Like the guys said, it's just to keep things in order. Hopefully it promotes the other forums for peeps that tend to hang out in just one or two, because we want you guys to feel like the whole site is a home to ya.

Here's a case in point for Mod leniency - when the PD went down, there was a thread here in Main for all the PD refugees to check in together and get their feet wet at the links. It was intentionally kept open so everyone could eaaaaase into the new digs - even though there wasn't any VH content,and it appeared clique-ish. What we realize here as a group of "family" , if you will, is that you guys were used to your own "family" at the other sites. Therefore, there was no reason to go slamming the door on the thread.

All we want is for you guys to feel like you're linkers, too. To get to know us, and make new buds - we're all VH fans when it comes down to it. I'm actually really happy the way it's worked out, because I've had the chance to make some great new friends from the group of refugees that I enjoy just as much as the peeps I've been here with all along - Personally, it'll make it easier for me to hang at the Dome when it goes back up.

If you ever have a question about why a thread was closed or moved, just give us a shout by PM or email - we'll be glad to explain why we did it.

Thanks for coming over here, man - it's good to have ya here. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

quote:
    Originally posted by Wolfman:
    I'm actually really happy the way it's worked out, because I've had the chance to make some great new friends from the group of refugees that I enjoy just as much as the peeps I've been here with all along - Personally, it'll make it easier for me to hang at the Dome when it goes back up.

Very interesting point. The closure of the PD has certainly brought a lot of us closer as VH fans, and certainly for the time being we are not so segregated by the different boards, and I think that's a good thing.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just to add my 2 cents...

I don't moderate here, but I've been known to do so elsewhere.

While it's true that certain Pasture Duump mods might be a little heavy handed with closing or moving topics, I haven't seen that here at Links and certainly not at the Army, which is really an under-moderated board, by design. Hey, John Asscrotch is going to kill freedom of speech soon enough anyway, so you might as well exercize it when and where you can until they throw you in jail, right. Of course, I draw the line at criminal obsession and slander, but let's not get into all of that...

Point is, it's a judgment call sometimes whether something is really a mainline discussion, or is more specific to rumors, or to a certain album, or obviously if it's not VH related at all. You Pasture Dump refugees are no doubt familiar with the expression "To the watering hole....".

As the webmaster of a formerly busy site that had one board with one forum for every discussion,(the legendary FORD Country) let me say that "Chaos" was a good description. The different forums on UBB boards allow for a more logical flow of discussions in different topic areas, and the webbies of this site and the Army have both done kick-ass jobs setting up the proper discussion areas for any subject from terrorism to guitar solos to drunken insanity.

If your thread gets moved from one forum to the other it's not intended as an insult.... Unless you're one of those "few" who deliberately post stupid shit topics, and we all know who they are...

[ January 03, 2002 at 04:41 PM: Message edited by: FORD ]</p>
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is anyone else annoyed...
    By: FORD
    January 03, 2002 04:38 PM

HA!!!!!!

I couldn't help it man. Well it just so happens that sometimes I am, yes...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I, for one miss the dome.
    This Member:Van Halen Fan EST. 1978

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll tell you what really annoys me is when I get the forum I moderate in and someone's already beat me to the puch when it comes to puttin' out fires and moving threads....

I enjoy how organized the board is and all of the mods here are quick to help keep vhlinks as organized as it is....that's why it's the your best source for VH information
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett