Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.02.12 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted this also at the dome.

It was a couple of days ago that i heard some samples of roth's tour, then saw some pics of him performing. I really can't believe how far he has come. Whether you love him or hate him, he has made a definite comeback. Need proof? Just go back to any time between 1993-1999. I include 99 because i really didnt think his voice was good as he was given credit. I even remember thinking that 96 was not the right year for a reunion, because of roth. Now i can honestly say it is. I think Roth, despite always seeming enthusiastic, went through tough times during that period, and its amazing he got his shit together. I know he wasnt the main draw, but its great he is getting exposure to some audiences of 40,000. People criticize dave for not growing up. i hope he never does. i think much of what dave portrays is really just for image sake. Dave realizes what made him diamond dave. May he forever shine. God bless to all of you.
    Only adventures that I regret are the ones I missed - DLR

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Too bad Eddie doesn't realize what "made" him Eddie, and what "made" Van Halen, Van Halen. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] As far as the rest of your post, all I can say is: Amen! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave may have looked in shape for his mini-tour, but he did NOT sound like anyone that should be fronting a major rock band.

No voice left.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.02.12 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stuuf No More - I have to respectfully disagree. Roth doesnt have the capabilities to constantly scream like he used to. but his voice is a hell of a lot better then it was in 93 thru 99. as long as he sings, without trying to strain his voice, he can pull off an excellent show fronting vh
    Only adventures that I regret are the ones I missed - DLR

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.27.05 @ 04:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No disrespect Stuff No More, but your gonna rag Dave no matter what he sounds like. It's true that Daves voice has suffered over the years, but IMO he is more than qualified to head up VH again. To say that he isn't qualified to front a major rock band is a fucking joke.
    Everybody wants some...

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

People who haven't seen Dave live recently bag him. People who have rave about him. Draw your own conclusions. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't think you can discount what Dave brings to the table by way of his persona. That two minute clip of him recently (I don't remember which show it was from) just blew me away. Granted, it was almost entirely a showcase of Dave's persona, not his vocals at all, but it just excited me, I watched it and hoped to see him front VH again.

But before seeing that, and after, when I listen to his vocals live (by way of the mp3's that have been recorded this tour), I'm really not terribly impressed with his vocal quality.

Being a fan of Dave's, I'm inclined to hope that he'd sound better if he was singing every other night, as opposed to once a week. But I'm not convinced that his voice could stand up to the rigors of three or four shows a week.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i want to see him fronting vh again, but i don't think that you can call him making a comeback yet.
    he is getting out there, but the majority of people still aren't aware of what's happening.

i do hope that his voice is okay, a couple shows a week would be sweet. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I listened to those mp3s from his concert. They didn't impress me. There are other people on this board (Abe to name one) that would back me up on that view.

People hear what they want to. What I see is a guy that has kept himself in great physical shape, but has been mistreating his voice along the way. Does he still have the "aura" he had long ago? If you don't mind him doing the same old schtick, then I suppose he does. But aura is only a small part of the equation. A singer's got to be able to sing too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Like I said... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    I listened to those mp3s from his concert. They didn't impress me. There are other people on this board (Abe to name one) that would back me up on that view.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Abe too? No shit - man, if you can get Zadian to agree as well then I'll be real convinced.
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He he he! Touche Jonathon! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for one whoever makes a judgement based on an mp3 and not a professional live recording is out their mind. you have to take a live mp3 for what it is..... a horrible popular format bootleg of a live performance! use your ear!!!!! stuff no more that was just outa line. I saw sammy on live today show i think it was and i wasnt to impressed....but again gota think of the source.

Dave can sing!!!!! for what his vocal range is and all the disagreements, the man can sing trust me!

I seen him live and in the old days and he seems to be much better today.

and for the remark that VH is a major band is a laugh. major bands communicate with the fans, release music,tour and act like professionals and agree to disagree for the sake of making great music. these guys have not grown up or even think logically....dave the most wacky of the pack seems to be the guy with his had on his shoulders....believe it or not.lol

the least these guys could do if dave isnt comming back is get on their knees and beg for sammy to come back cause they are never gonna find another singer to fit that band. it happens once if your lucky! it happens twice (no way) but it did for VH and sammy. 3 times....man give me the shouvel...it will never happen.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Bru77,

I agree with most of what you are saying. However, I do think that Dave is as fucked up as any one in the band. Your right on regarding finding the magic with one singer much less two. That is precisely why Edward needs to move forward and use his gifts. Let the world hear him in some other capacity other than as a member of the Band Van Halen! One last thing, could you use that spell checker? Peace
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bru77:
    for one whoever makes a judgement based on an mp3 and not a professional live recording is out their mind. you have to take a live mp3 for what it is..... a horrible popular format bootleg of a live performance! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This fascinates me. If a person listens to the mp3's and thinks Dave sounds great, I've NEVER seen anyone devalue that opinion by reminding them of the innaccuracy of mp3's. However, if you listen to the mp3's and are critical of Dave, suddenly mp3's are an invalid source for critique.

And you could argue that studio recordings are inaccurace representations because of the studio effects available and the ability to do multiple takes of everything.

When Dave tries to hit a note and blows it, like near the end of Little Guitars on several mp3's I've heard, that's an accurate example of his quality. Conversely, when he sounds great (again on those dastardly or great mp3's, depending on your bias [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) on Atomic Punk, that's also an accurate representation of his vocal quality. You can't have it both ways; mp3's can't be valid when they support your claim, but then invalid when they don't.