Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fairwarning
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

03.03.08 @ 11:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thursday afternoon I was in Arcadia for a business meeting and got done about 4 PM, didn't have to be in downtown L.A. til 6 PM so I headed over to my favorite watering hole, Peppers, to see how the locals were doing. About 5 minutes after I sat at the bar, Mike's bro, Steve walked in. He used to cut my hair when I lived in Arcadia, so naturally I chatted him up to catch up on all the latest.

First of all, want to say that Steve had complimentary things to say about all three singers, but he did offer some interesting observations on the band, past, present and future.

I will list some here:

Don't expect anything new musicwise anytime soon from Van Halen.

Yes, Alex is doing fine; according to Steve he is just laying low, but physically is fine.

Eddie wasn't thrilled about Mike touring with Sam.

It's pretty much up to Eddie to decide if there is any future to VH; however don't expect there to be a fourth singer. If it does happen, it will probably be Sam. They gave Dave a shot, but just couldn't pull it off vocally (I was pretty surprised at this since I saw Dave live twice this summer and he sounded great to me).

Van Halen does not have a manager at this time.

Mike is truly a nice guy who gets along with everybody. He would be open to either Dave or Sam doing the vocals, but he is good friends with Sam, whereas he is not with Dave.

Steve caught the Sam - Dave show at the Universal Amphitheater and talked to Dave's dad backstage. Both Mike's dad and Dave's dad catch all their local shows. In fact Steve confirmed a story I had read about in Rolling Stone as told by Al about Mike's dad being pissed about the lousy seats he had for Van Halen's show at the US Festival; he ended up sitting out in the limo instead.

Steve thought the production was what hurt VH III the most.

Mike is totally into his family; drives his kids to school everyday. Rarely hits the clubs, but Steve mentioned that Mike had caught Gary's show a month or two ago in Hollywood.

We ended up talking pretty much non-stop about Mike and Van Halen for about an hour and a half. Steve was very gracious throughout, it is obvious that he is very proud of his brother, he said whenever he sees him perform, the hairs on his arm rise. He told me some other stuff, backstage on tour stories, etc. I thanked him and he said drop by where he works anytime to chat (I told him I get my hair cut at a place in Hermosa Beach since I moved from Arcadia to Rancho Palos Verdes) even though I don't get my hair cut from him anymore. Totally cool guy.

So there you have it, the latest from a confirmed source very close to the band.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post. It's nice to hear some new news, even if it confirms the pathetic situation Van Halen is in.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member
    i always thought the future was entirely up to edward. getting vanhalen back together is like trying to get osama out from his cave.time will tell- [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

5150EDU, thanks for the update. This is definately a case of you report we decide and it's refreshing. I agree that this is pretty much what we all figured is happening at this time, I had no doubt that Ed calls all the shots.

Mikey is a very cool guy and it sounds like he has a pretty cool family as well. At least he is out doing what he loves and nobody should blame him for that, especially Ed. Sounds like he wants him to sit around with his thumb up his ass while the band does absolutely nothing. I love Ed as much as anyone but it's pretty selfish (granted that's really the case).

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 5150EDU:
    Eddie wasn't thrilled about Mike touring with Sam.

It's pretty much up to Eddie to decide if there is any future to VH;however don't expect there to be a fourth singer. If it does happen, it will probably be Sam.
    Not to discredit you or start anything...but I was wondering how can Eddie be 'upset' with Mike touring with Sam but probably take back Sam?

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Way Too Difficult
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

Originally posted by 5150EDU:
    Don't expect anything new musicwise anytime soon from Van Halen.
    If true, [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Dave: Fair Warning Sam: 5150
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Intresting. Pretty much backs up what we all kinda thought. Right about now I would be happy with anything. Maybe Ed eill have one of those film scores out soon. Saw a picture of him with Adam Sandler about 6 months ago. Could he be working on music for one of his movies?
    Man, all I can do is make music and put it out, and if people like it, they like it, and if they don't, they will sooner or later.- EVH

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

The Next One!
    Favorite VH Song

The Newest Single off The Next One!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the update.. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] It sure sounds like there done... It's too bad Eddie can't tell the fans though..Oh well maybe he'll get the balls up to do it someday..or did Val take them when she left.. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanx 5150EDU...nice post !!!

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Wow, that must have been an awesome experience. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I wonder if after Mike toured with Sammy he swayed Eddie to rethink getting Sammy back.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

i don't buy that they scrapped dave cuz of vocal reasons

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some, or Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

me neither, I believe it was ego and politics
    "If I took you to the river, well I bet you'd swim upstream.."<br /> -JL<br /> L.O.C.<br /> -2003-

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeez Why My Favorite Bands As To Stop Playing Music [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] I've Never Saw Then And I Will Never Saw Them...Too Bad [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If there’s something I can’t deal with, I can just spend hours playing. It’s a God-given gift – I certainly don’t know where the ideas come from. They’re obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I totally believe that Dave's voice was part of the problem. Actually, not Dave's voice, but Eddie's opinion of Dave's voice!

It's my opinion that Eddie just finds it unforgivable that Dave's voice has aged. Though virtually every singer loses something, Eddie can't (won't) get past it and find songs and riffs that can play to Dave's strengths. The fact that there is a personality split fucks things up too obviously, but I believe there is a range at which Dave can sound good and be himself, but Eddie doesn't want to hear it.

It doesn't help either that Dave seems somewhat unaware of what his weaknesses are too, and continues to beat a dead horse; ie. the screams and yelps that more often than not sound bad.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If VH is going to work with Sam in the future....how long are they going to wait? I mean damn...Hagar sounds great/excellent for his age, but is Ed going to wait until Sam is 60? Time for Ed to call someone [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]