Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was probably 11 or 12 when I recorded this concert that MTV was showing of Sammy Hagar in St. Louis. I only recorded like 4 or 5 songs because I ran out of tape. Anyhow, I dug that bad boy out this weekend. And here's what I noticed some 18 years later.

Sammy has gotten older obviously. But, other than that he hasn't really changed much as a performer. I think this video was shot around 82 or 83, don't remember. Back then, Sammy still read all the banners thrown on stage, high fived his fans in the front row, wore goofy clothes, sang rockin' songs (Heavy Metal), and also sang cheesy slow songs like, "never give up".

I just saw Sammy in Vegas a few weeks back, and he's pretty much the same. Interacts with his fans (he signed two of my album covers), reads silly banner thrown up at him, sings kick ass rockers, ie, One way to rock, Best of Both worlds, Bad motor scooter etc., and sings cheesy slow songs like , "I'll fall in love again."

That's Sammy for you. You either dig him or you don't. He's been rockin his fans for probably 30 years already. And although his record sales will never be the same, Sammy can kick back now, and take whatever comes his way, be it VH or not. The bottom line is Sam will always be sam, and to his fans. That's enough.
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Favorite VH Album

'78 -'96 baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs... Enough said
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amen Brother!
    Those that say money cannot buy hapiness don't know where to shop.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

One of the only things that has changed about Sammy is his voice - it is much better now than before!

[ October 31, 2002, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: dirtymovies ]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

5150, Women In Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Awesome post dude.
    That's what the Sammy-haters don't get. That is one aspect that is comparable regarding both singers: They haven't changed, they are who they are and they don't give a fuck.
    This post is exactly why I prefer Sam. It's not that I like the music w/ him more than I did with Dave. God knows, my heart was broken when Dave left. I couldn't fucking believe it and when they announced Sam, I was like, what? But then I bought 5150, went to the shows, and there it was man. The answer and, IMO, only guy who could've replaced Dave.
    The man always, at every show I've seen him at, went out of his way to acknowledge the fans, not to mention the "party" atmosphere he helped bridge w/ Ed, Alex and especially Mike.
    Don't get me wrong, Dave's years were a definite party.
    I've seen VH w/ Dave, I've seen 'em w/ Sam and I've seen Sam solo.
    They can both get annoying, but they are indeed classic rockers who will never be forgotten.
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED!

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I actually have this video in the archives here at the 79th residence. Recorded it off of MTV back in the late to early 90's.

It is fun to watch every once in a while.

I almost got to go to this concert, almost. Work , work , work .......

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree about Sammy, if I had to hang out with either singer for a great party night out it would be Hagar in a minute. Plus I love the first Montrose album, it's in my top ten for a solid Rock albums from start to finsih. I recently traded for a 1974 Montrose bootleg concert CD. It is great for it's day, recorded amazingly well. However, if you think Sammy's voice hasn't changed since then ..it has. He still has the range but his voice has gotten more raspier since the early days. You can't hear the difference on the Studio albums but in concert and on this Bootleg his voice is very smooth. I almost thought it was a concert with the replacment vocalist for Montrose but is Sammy. I very rare find. All and all I do agree that Sammy cares about his fans and always has.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cool posts gentlemen...good reads. I think most fans of Sammy will agree that he always takes care of his fans...and that's totally not a slam on Dave. I just think its the difference when it comes to the number of people who began to support sam after seeing him in VH or otherwise.

I still think that Van Halen's best music was with Roth....no question. But, after seeing him for the first time on the sam/dave tour...my opinion of the music didn't change. Roth just struck me as well....untouchable perhaps? A bit odd...maybe. Still dig the hell out of his work in VH. Just find sam more down to earth. Having said that....just wish someone, anyone would sing for VH again. The sooner the better!
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine