Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's certainly great to hear someone from VH finally say something. But playing Devil's Advocate it seems to have gone very slowly - Mike's "it's someone you know" comment was published exactly 6 months ago. And from things Ray Luzier at least said and other rumours, it seems like Dave got called by the VH brothers almost immediately after Cherone departed.

I guess Eddie's treatment (whatever it was) may have slowed things down, but that happened before Mike's statement. And any legal issues migth have delayed an announcement but probably not recording.

5-6 songs recorded 6 months after Mike hinted that things were well underway, and now a new album not expected for another 6 months at least?

My theory on the silence was always that after the '96 debacle it was much better to say nothing whatsoever than even give a brief press release. Much better to have the press speculate on a reunion, that try to bury and ridicule it before anything was ready. A strong new album is the best way to address the critics!!

I would guess that sometime in the fall things got quite rocky and ground to a halt. There was a time when rumours pretty much dried up and then Sammy claimed Dave was gone with only 4 songs done??

Other rumours, and they are just that but at least from long time posters at various boards, have suggested that the VH brothers are "dragging their feet". Someone over at the PD said that he picked up at NAMM that Dave wanted to tour last summer and this summer too but it didn't look like happening.

So anyway I would guess that what is happening is that EVH (and by default AVH) want to make it clear that it is their band. I suspect his main concern after the critical panning of VH3 is to make a great album - even if the process is painstaking. Dave on the other hand probably just wants to get out there and rock.

It will have a happy ending though There is too much money at stake for it to fall through - and the contracts signed must have been ironclad.

You can move this to opinions/speculations now

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

I like what you said Jonathan, let somebody else move it.

I am also of the opinion that the DLR reunion might have broken down at some point, and the boys recently got it together again. Just my opinion.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well there were rumors last year of things breaking down, and Eddie not being happy with the material/scrapping it. Also TK (I think), and other 'sources' stated that DLR was taking the summer off and returning to work in the fall.

I would imagine that things started off early last year, Ed had the health scare, he got frustrated with what they were doing and was slowed by his health so they took the summer off and started fresh in the fall (September/early October). That would make it about right to have 5 or 6 songs done by now. I think we are in the best shape right now than we EVER have been as far as getting a reunion. After people's encounters with Mike, the MTV interview, and Ed's video, things are picking up VERY quickly now, and we won't have much more to wait.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there seems to be a master-plan:

first Alex was briefly in the news, announcing the remasters
    next DLR was with his single (plus SPin-Cover etc)
    next M.A. with his Namm Appearance
    and now EVH with his CLIP

so next: THE announcement ?

anyway, what really surprized me today:
    in a 2 sided advertisement in a big german newspaper, some record store runs an advertizement which goes like: we offer the cheapest prices for your favorite artists like: and then only 6-8 artists like the 3Tenors, some other Opera-Singers, and then METALLICA and VAN HALEN.

???? i mean, Van Halen are not considered in Europe as major "best-sellers". Guess WarnerBros has some master-plan there too.

cheers,
    SToRM

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK, Fair Warning, OU812,BOV1
    Favorite VH Song

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember when it was announced on the local rock station that things fell thru with the re-union, and then 1 week later Sammy was saying it, so I too am of the opinion that something happened at that time. Maybe it just took a while for everyone to really get over all the shit they were saying to each other, and then realized how much THEY too wanted this to work. Like Ed has said, they have to be true to themselves, or WE won't buy it. I think that pretty much sums up the history to this point. I can't wait much longer tho.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have said this before and I will stick with this. I honestly think they will release a new CD with Dave and do a huge tour . . .but I think that will be it. I hope I am wrong about the "Farewell" implications but I really get the notion that they are going out with a bang. I think this may be your last shot to catch them as a band.

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    I tend to lean towards what your saying Georgie. Ed and Al are not getting any younger or healthier and obviously their future could "change on a dime". Bottom line, the music was great but the personalities do not mesh.

An album, tour, and if they make it through all of the scheduled dates, Ed, Al & Mike will settle into soundtrack projects and occasional open jams in the LA area.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:25 AM
    Liked 973 Times in 390 Posts

farewell tour??

as yogi berra once said, "it ain't over til it's over!!"

JMJ

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't think they will sustain a long comeback...time just isn't on their side...

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I can't see a "breakdown" or whatever you call it with Dave only because he has also remainded silent.
    If something bad happend, he would be out on the circuit rather quickly promoting himself.

and in reference to "eddie and Alex are not getting younger" comments.
    Hell who IS getting younger?
    The Stones are still doing it and so is Dylan.
    Don't give me any of that crap about them going out with a bang BS.
    Thay are rock and roll musicans, they want to keep on playing, its in their blood. They probably want to make the best album they can to make up for VH3, but I would think that they would always try to make each album great even though sometimes it doesn't work out that way.
    They tried doing something different with 3, and it didn't work out. I applaud them for trying.
    1996 fiasco ended very poorly and in hindsight I believe that they realized that and called Dave after Gary left and wanted to give it another try.

------------------
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH EDDIE, ALEX, MIKE & DAVE.

"maybe your dick isn't so dumb"
    "it got me through high school"

[This message has been edited by Eddymon (edited January 25, 2001 at 10:16 AM).]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eddymon:
    I can't see a "breakdown" or whatever you call it with Dave only because he has also remainded silent.
    If something bad happend, he would be out on the circuit rather quickly promoting himself.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Breakdown doesn't mean break up. I think it's very possible that things got tense so they called a halt without scrapping things.

I think the idea that DLR will be all over the press the minute it all ended is debatable too. I'm sure he would have said something if was never involved in the first place, but surely that isn't the case. It would depend on why it all ended and the circumstances. Do you think he's gonna run to the press and say "Hey Eddie fucked me over in '96, and now he's done it in 2000. Boy, I'm a real dumbass"