Thread: Ed's Pride/Ego

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

It is often brought up here that it would take alot for Eddie to swallow his pride and call Sammy and bring him back into the band.
    But isn't THAT what he did with Dave not once, but twice?

I think that if he really wants to ressurrect HIS band he will do whatever he thinks is needed to do that. And calling Sammy and getting together for dinner and an all night chat they can renew their friendship and be the first step in bringing Van Halen back from the dead.
    The two men had a musical bond that CANNOT be denied and that bond can't be killed by words said 7 years ago in frustration and heat of an argument.

I would have loved to see Van Halen and Dave together again if it were like it was back in '84. But its not and I want all people in the band to be happy first because its what makes for better music and a great live show.

So to those who thinks that Eddie is too proud to call Sammy. Remember who else Ed has in his corner, Michael Anthony, and I believe Alex would also go along with Sam's return as well.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Let it die. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Who knows what Ed's plans are concerning Van Halen. All I know is that we continue to hear sweet fuck all and that means nothing in the near future. Sad but true.

[ March 11, 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Mario VH ]
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

1984, Balance, Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mike on SGMAD, Baluchetherium
    Last Online

02.12.07 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Eddymon:
    I think that if he really wants to ressurrect HIS band he will do whatever he thinks is needed to do that
    This is not HIS band, it is a group, that's what makes a band
    How to make a “Mad Anthony”

2 oz Cabo WaboŽ Tequila
    1 oz Spicy V8
    Juice from a fresh Lime
    A generous dollop of Mad Anthony’s Hot Sauce
    Combine in a shaker full of ice and shake it up
    Pour into shot glass garnished with
    a dab of salt
    a small slice of lime
    a slice of Serrano or Jalapeno chili pepper

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:46 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Van Halen is a team and Ed's the captain.
    E.F.C - 1897

Favorite VH Album

'78 -'96 baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs... Enough said
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes it is HIS band. That's why every report we see says that It's up to Ed or Ed's dealing with this or that. Not to make light of his problems just trying to make a the point. Look at how many bands go on without original members. Dave, Al, Mike and the guy that played with Dave last summer (sorry I don't know his name) could go on tour as Van Halen. How many people would walk away feeling ripped off because Ed wasn't there?
    As far as him calling Dave twice to make a go of it, the way that ended both times may be what's putting the sour taste in his mouth about calling Sammy.
    Those that say money cannot buy hapiness don't know where to shop.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Make no bones about it. It was Dave that called Ed. Several times, and often.

Sammy has a philosophy about life, which in part, he doesn't offer help or advice unless he is asked.

Secondly, he has said many times he wants an apology from Ed.

Thirdly, he isn't desperate to get back in. I beleive him when he says more than anything, he misses his friendship. That if Ed would come down to Cabo. Hang out. Rekindle their friendship first. Then talk business, then he might do it.
    I'm sure he misses the monster fame associated with VH, but, at the same time, he's content with his lifestyle now...

As far as Ed goes...Who knows?

He really is fighting those demons....
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Eddymon, why don't you just IM Eddie again and ask him what he's planning to do?
    This Member:Van Halen Fan EST. 1978

Favorite VH Album

1984, Balance, Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mike on SGMAD, Baluchetherium
    Last Online

02.12.07 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH Low Blow, Low Blow
    How to make a “Mad Anthony”

2 oz Cabo WaboŽ Tequila
    1 oz Spicy V8
    Juice from a fresh Lime
    A generous dollop of Mad Anthony’s Hot Sauce
    Combine in a shaker full of ice and shake it up
    Pour into shot glass garnished with
    a dab of salt
    a small slice of lime
    a slice of Serrano or Jalapeno chili pepper

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Best of Vol. 1
    Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just because Ed swallowed his pride and talked business with Dave doesn't mean that he did it because he really wanted to. Let's face it. We'll never know what really went down, but I'm betting money that the label and fans stuck on the original VH lineup pressured him into hooking back up with Dave. I'd say he's given up on doing what might not be so good for him, like what the business tells him he should do and what the fans complain that they'd rather see/hear. Maybe he'd rather not play at all than lose what little bit of pride with which the whole scenario with Dave left him.
    "You'll meet them again in their long journey to the middle."<br /><br />"And they will ruin rock 'n roll and strangle everything we love about it... and then it just becomes an industry of cool." <br /><br />-- Lester Bangs, Almost Famous

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Ed be the quarterback!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

I don't whether pride has as much to do with it as you may think. The difference between Ed's relationship with Dave and his relationship with Sammy is probably friendship. I don't believe Edward and Dave had anything more than a professional relationship and once that sours, there's really not much to motivate a person to resume it again. If he genuinely likes Sammy then he may want to make more of an effort to sustain the relationship, which would lead to them working together again.

Edward is not stupid and I'm sure he was well aware of what was to be gained by a reunion with Dave, so both parties made the gesture, but in the end I guess Ed felt that there wasn't enough for him to want to resume a relationship that he feels is detrimental to him. I can totally relate to him saying that Dave sucked the life out of him. I've been around people like that and believe me, you don't want to keep them around you very long.

Whatever is going to be, will be. Kay-sa-ra-sa-ra!
    Could this be magic?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by z28girl
    The difference between Ed's relationship with Dave and his relationship with Sammy is probably friendship. I don't believe Edward and Dave had anything more than a professional relationship and once that sours, there's really not much to motivate a person to resume it again.
    I still don't understand how everybody can make that assumption. Maybe everyone is looking at the public persona of those involved. I read Dave's book and I don't think Dave the rock star and Dave the person are the same Dave. I tend to think the same can be said about Sam as I have read the 3-chapter excerpt from his unpublished book and I tend to think that, while both Sam and Dave are excellent businessmen, Dave did it for the band and Sam did it for the bottom line. Art and commerce can only co-exist when there is compromise. Would Ed(ward) compromise his art for commerce? I don't think Dave would have allowed that. Sam, on the other hand, does it in the name of the fans.

But that's just my opinion...

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    I still don't understand how everybody can make that assumption. Maybe everyone is looking at the public persona of those involved. I read Dave's book and I don't think Dave the rock star and Dave the person are the same Dave. I tend to think the same can be said about Sam as I have read the 3-chapter excerpt from his unpublished book and I tend to think that, while both Sam and Dave are excellent businessmen, Dave did it for the band and Sam did it for the bottom line. Art and commerce can only co-exist when there is compromise. Would Ed(ward) compromise his art for commerce? I don't think Dave would have allowed that. Sam, on the other hand, does it in the name of the fans.

But that's just my opinion...
    Well, in my case, I used to work with Pete Angelus' brother, and he said that Dave and Ed weren't the closest of friends, it was more Dave and Al that hung out in between and after shows. You take that and add it to the interviews and stuff over the years and I get the feeling that Edward had more motivation to work with Sammy again because there was a better personal relationship between them - they lived next door to each other.

I get the impression that Sam is more down to earth than Dave. I've never met Dave, but I did meet Sam briefly and he was very nice, warm, and went out of his way to make me feel welcome. Do I think he has an ego? You bet! The fact that he butchers old Van Halen songs is tribute to that. But I think Dave has a bigger, stronger personality that steps on Ed. There are people in life that maybe without realizing it, make you feel stupid and turn everything into a competition and it tires you out and since they're not going to change, you have to walk away because you feel like you're going to go crazy from dealing with them. That's the impression I got from what Edward has said regarding Dave over the years, the "sucks the life out of me" statement. I totally related to that.
    Could this be magic?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by z28girl
    But I think Dave has a bigger, stronger personality that steps on Ed. There are people in life that maybe without realizing it, make you feel stupid and turn everything into a competition and it tires you out and since they're not going to change, you have to walk away because you feel like you're going to go crazy from dealing with them. That's the impression I got from what Edward has said regarding Dave over the years, the "sucks the life out of me" statement. I totally related to that.
    I'll accept that.