Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Rap

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

maybe this goes in the song section, but i'm lazy

a LOT of posters love to slam "how many say i" and eddie's vocals. honestly, it's not that bad -something i enjoy more than say "i'll wait"

lyrically, i think it tops sammy's Love songs. it's preachy, but a little more slick, along the lines of "right now." no problem there.

sure ed's not a lead singer. but first the music stands by itself. as for his vocals, he may not have the proficiency or talent of gary, sam, dave, or mike (but probably kicks al's ass [img]smile.gif[/img] ) but there is a rough sincerity to his singing that i enjoyed. i tend to gravitate to the more whisky-voiced types anyways, but not everyone likes dylan, the replacements or what have you, but to me that's part of rock n roll.

i think you hear real anger in "know something to be true/ and then deny it." and the opening lines about a relationship take on an extra depth after seeing ed & val's seperation. it may be cheezy, but sam and dave put out enough cheez in their time.

or maybe as a former band member might've said, "you're just a guitarist/ pianist! nobody wants to hear you sing!"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

5150, Women In Love
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Your kidding, right man? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Please tell me your kidding.
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Remove Eddie's vocals.

Rewrite the lyrics.

Have Billy Joel write lyrics to the music.....something about some old ship at sea.

Now I like it........

It's just bad. I like the music......but Ed's voice as an "instrument" is a joke. And the lyrics are about as bad as Amsterdam.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If nothing else, I give Ed a thumbs-up for having the balls to do something that was risky and of personal nature like that. It was definitely nothing like anything ever put out by VH, but you can say that about most of that album.

After hearing Ed's backup vocals live several times, the one thing I have a problem with hearing is that Ed just can't sing, period. That's a total crock. His vocal on "How Many Say I" is strange, to say the least, but for people to make a blanket statement about his vocal ability based on that one song is really reaching, IMO.

The whole VHIII album was extremely experimental in nature, and maybe Ed was trying to do something way off the beaten path with that vocal as well. Or maybe that's what he sounds like when he makes a first attempt at a lead vocal after over two decades.

Is it cheesy or sappy? Well, that depends on personal opinion, which everybody is entitled to. If he and Val were having serious problems at that time and Ed felt like it would be a bold thing to cut that track, then good for him. He's always said in interviews that he makes music because he loves to make music, period - and if people like it, great. if not, he seems to be fine with that as well.

Maybe now that he has had an album that did poorly and got so much flak over songs like the one in question, Ed has realized from dealing the fans' disappointment over an album that he really didn't feel that way about whether or not people liked the music he writes. Perhaps he has realized that it mattered much more to him than he thought to begin with.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

i remember reading when val said ed first played that song for her and some friends and they just sat there and cried.

is ed's voice a lil "different" on that track? well sure it is.

but the song has meaning, i like the damn thing. if anything when i hear ed sing it makes me laugh, but in a good way.

who cares if his lyrics are any good? he's not a lead singer.

i really enjoy it cuz ed put a little piece of his heart on that album for us.

i for one, appreciate that

JMJ

[ November 15, 2002, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: JMJ ]
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The music is okay. Even the singing would be forgivable if they weren't the worst lyrics in the history of recorded music.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

'How Many Say I' should have been released as a 'B' side and not as an album closer.

On Fire
    Beautiful Girls
    Feelin'
    How Many Say I?

It just doesn't fit. Although, 'Inside' was an interesting choice.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I thought Gary wrote the lyrics for How Many Say I?
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ikeda:

a LOT of posters love to slam "how many say i" and eddie's vocals. honestly, it's not that bad -something i enjoy more than say "i'll wait"

lyrically, i think it tops sammy's Love songs. it's preachy, but a little more slick, along the lines of "right now." no problem there.

sure ed's not a lead singer. but first the music stands by itself. as for his vocals, he may not have the proficiency or talent of gary, sam, dave, or mike (but probably kicks al's ass [img]smile.gif[/img] ) but there is a rough sincerity to his singing that i enjoyed. i tend to gravitate to the more whisky-voiced types anyways, but not everyone likes dylan, the replacements or what have you, but to me that's part of rock n roll.

i think you hear real anger in "know something to be true/ and then deny it." and the opening lines about a relationship take on an extra depth after seeing ed & val's seperation. it may be cheezy, but sam and dave put out enough cheez in their time.

or maybe as a former band member might've said, "you're just a guitarist/ pianist! nobody wants to hear you sing!"
    I never had a problem with the song. I listen to it every now and again.
    I've got the cure you're thinking of.<br />------------------<br />Remixed! Van Halen covers done by my band: <br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Dreams.mp3" target="_blank">Dreams</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Panama.mp3" target="_blank">Panama</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Unchained.mp3" target="_blank">Unchained</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/AtomicPunk.mp3" target="_blank">Atomic Punk</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/SomebodyGetMeADoctor.mp3" target="_blank">Somebody Get Me a Doctor</a><br /><br />NEW: Burning Tires and Dr. Love:<br /><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/HearAboutItLater.mp3" target="_blank">Hear About It Later</a>

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

Originally posted by Raldo:
    'How Many Say I' should have been released as a 'B' side and not as an album closer.

On Fire
    Beautiful Girls

It just doesn't fit. Although, 'Inside' was an interesting choice.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Glenn:
    The music is okay. Even the singing would be forgivable if they weren't the worst lyrics in the history of recorded music.
    there's a blanket statement for you

i'm with jmj and the others. it seems like it was a little piece of ed, and i appreciate that. cracking on his instrument is like ripping ringo starr (tho i prefer ringo's vocals). ed singing one track is a nice diversion every five albums or so.

yeah, gary wrote the lyrics. i just meant i didn't think they were objectionable if you can buy into 'mine all mine,' much less 'dirty movies'

nice to see some positive post - thanks

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

i can't remember if it was the f.u.c.k. tour or the balance tour. (i'm leaning toward balance. the one that evh wore the blue/gray "mechanic" shirt with the sleeves cut off.) anyway, in the "why can't this be love?" verse, mike would sing, "oh, i know, you've got to run to win" and evh would sing in this really cool raspy, tom waits, 4 pack-a-day, case-and-a -half a day voice, "but i'll be damned if i get hung up on the line." the crowd went fuckin' nuts every single time. you see this was back in the day when evh rarely did interviews and never gave a hint of information regarding his personal life. what i like to refer to as, "the good ole days". people were so starved to hear anything evh had to say they were thrilled when ever he opened his mouth. in later years, evh spilled his heart on the floor and talked about everything from his bathroom habits to his therapy sessions and everything in between. he no longer has the mystique that surrounded him years ago. the curtain has been pulled back to reveal a broken, unhealthy man.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

o geez... I think I'm going to be sick
    Life through someone elses eyes.<br /><a href="http://www.thehandthatsewstime.com" target="_blank">TheHandThatSewsTime.com</a>

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by PAF:
    ... anyway, in the "why can't this be love?" verse, mike would sing, "oh, i know, you've got to run to win" and evh would sing in this really cool raspy, tom waits, 4 pack-a-day, case-and-a -half a day voice, "but i'll be damned if i get hung up on the line." the crowd went fuckin' nuts every single time.
    i remember that, and you're right it was so fucking cool - kinda like mikey singin lead on the last tour. some of it was the coolness/ mystique of eddie, but for me it was the spontineity (even if it's practiced) and that it was new and different. a lot of the sammy shows were too flat and note for note off the album. i think some of that live energy should shake things up.

you're right too about eddie now being revealed as a "broken, unhealthy man." but is that a surprise? you can debate about how much of your personal life you should air out in the media, but i still prefer eddie at this stage to say steven tyler, who still thinks he's 25 and has the plastic surgery to prove it.

i think eddie gets hurt here by not having a lead singer. a DLR or sammy, tyler in aerosmith, and those types usually pull the spotlight off the band, and let them play their music in relative peace. eddie has a lot of the spotlight thrust on him, because he's now obviously THE leader of the band. maybe he wanted that, maybe he didn't realize that's how things would play out.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ikeda:

a LOT of posters love to slam "how many say i" and eddie's vocals.
    I hate to say this but if a ashtray could sing, it would sound like Ed...