Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.15.09 @ 04:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seriously folks, without considering Sammy or Gary, who can but VH back in the game?
    Half of me wants them to get someone really arrogant (like Dave) because Eddie is at his best when pushed. But half of me thinks that they should go with a no-name young singer. Kind of like what Ozzy does with guitarists, so far it's worked every time for him. Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, and Zak Wylde all made Ozzy at least as successful as in his hey-day. Not many people have had success with new lineups, especially when they pick singers from other established bands. So, I can't think of a known singer that I want to lead VH. That pretty much leaves an unknown as my choice. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While my preference remains a reunion with either Roth or Hagar, if there HAD to be a 4th and let re-emphasize HAD....I'd like to hear someone like Geoff Tate from Queensryche or Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. I saw Tate with Iron Maiden two summers ago and that guy is a stud. I don't know if either would go with the Van Halen sound but if they go with a fourth, I'd just as soon see them depart from that and move on in a totally different direction. I know that didn't exactly work with VHIII but I think that had more to do with their choice. I've never been a big fan of Cherone's voice or songwriting. I don't know, I'm just floating those.

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    I think Sebastian Bach is the perfect choice. I love Tate, but he doesn't have that VH sound I think Eddie wants singing his songs. Either would be pretty cool I imagine.
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know dudes, I think the 80s glam style would be the wrong direction for VH. I think they need a singer with attitude rather than vocal range. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

In Simple Ryhme & Take Me Back
    Last Online

10.20.17 @ 02:27 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts

I had a thought the other day that Jesse James Dupree from Jackyl would do well. What say you all!!!
    Later.

Pal

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

11.14.12 @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Half of me wants them to get someone really arrogant (like Dave) because Eddie is at his best when pushed.
    Well said, JA! Ed has dug particularly deep when his/the band's relationship with the singer has been on the outs.

But half of me thinks that they should go with a no-name young singer. Kind of like what Ozzy does with guitarists, so far it's worked every time for him.
    JA, I lean toward your thought that singer #4 will be a lesser known one. Which makes me wonder about the differences between Ozzy's situation and Ed/VH's:

Ozzy is the singer/frontman, creative AND public face of his music; Ed is certainly the creative force behind VH's music and the public face of VH - for better or worse - and has worked hard over the years to gain control over the band's music (building 5150 as the most visible example). But since Ed isn't the singer/frontman, does that create a somewhat different dynamic for VH?

Ozzy has clearly made it work over the years. And I wonder how much latitude he’s given his guitarists? Does he give the more recent ones the same, less or more than he gave Rhodes? Ed - in some subtle ways and others not so subtle - seems to exert more control within VH as the years go by.

Given what happened with VHIII and Ed's increasingly deep involvement in every aspect of shaping the VH sound, how much latitude might he grant the next singer? For all the reasons above, I tend to think he'll keep a pretty tight reign on things. All of which leads me to agree that singer #4 may well be a lesser known one. Ed said it wouldn't happen, but things may have changed.

[ December 13, 2002, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: brownsoundjunkie ]

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH is so done its black and charcoaled. Here are the options:

1)4th singer: Might as well get Weird Al because this will be a laugher. Pat Benetar singing "Unchained?" Sebastian Bach whining "When It's Love." Two words for you: Gary Cherone.

2) Reconcile with Sam. This would be a successful shed tour probably selling 10-12,000 the first time around. If they put a couple of ballads on a new record the sales could top 1 or 2 million. This would last for 2 albums/tours at the most and returns would be diminishing the second time around. There would still be the constant comparisons to Dave.

3)Give your remaining fans something positive. Release the video and audio footage in the vaults for both eras of VH and go on and make music as solo artists.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pleeeeaaaaasssssse... NO MORE BALLADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whoops, double post. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ December 13, 2002, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: John Ashcroft ]