Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally. M-TV ran a Van Halen feature that made it clear the band existed after 1984. Amazing, but true.

On "MTV's 20 Years of Rock" (I believe it was a two, possibly three hour special) Van Halen was a given a good portion of the show. Kurt Loder had a long lead-in on the set, saying "Perhaps no band has had a bigger effect when it comes to videos than Van Halen. The band, especially with original singer David Lee Roth, embodied the rock and roll persona. (This is where it gets bad) They are also believed to be the major influence that created all the 'Hair Bands'"
    Brett Michaels, The Foo Fighters, Lars Ulrich, the Guitarist from Rage, John Cougar Mellencamp, Sebastian Bach, Anthony Keides (sp?) lead singer of the Chilli Peppers, Rob Thomas (Matchbox 20), Green Day and a few others were interviewed about the band. They broke down the video "Hot for Teacher". They all said how great it would have been to have teachers like that. Bach said he loved all the little Van Halen kids. Keidas said "God Bless David Lee Roth."

This is where he got good. They began talking about how Roth left, and the standard quotes start coming forth. Marilyn Manson, "I consider all that stuff after Roth to be a Van Halen cover band." Dave Groehl saracsticly, "'Right Now' changed my life."

But then, finally Hagar got some credit.
    Brett Michaels, "Sammy Hagar is a good friend of mine. I think he is an oustanding singer, a fantastic guitarist and performer."

Rob Thomas, "I can't think of a band ever that changed lead singers and maintained their success like Van Halen did."

Lars, "Theres something real appealing about younger, party Van Halen, and something appealing about older, more mature Van Halen."

Bach, "The winner in all this Eddie. He had both of these great guys to choose from. Why compare them? They're so different."

They had some real cool shots of Sammy, singing his ass off, looking great. They closed the piece with the classic closing shot from the "Poundcake" video. Sam blowing the kiss to the camera, with the shades on.

Good to see MTV acknowledges that Van Halen did not die in a plane crash after Roth. Especially since they played the shit out of the Hagar vids. Great story.
    [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those sarcastic rolling eyes at the end were an accident.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This sounds cool, Ill look for this special now on MTV [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks for the detailed report, Doucet. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm glad MTV had enough sense to point out how good Van Halen was in the post-Roth years. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah Dan Halen, it was pretty good. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    I know alot of people are against it, but I can't wait till the VH "Behind the Music". All the old clips, the story being told. I'd like to see some tour footage from the OU812 tour. I've never seen any of that.
    Plus the Poundcake performance on the M-Tv awards in 1991. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

There'll probably be a bit more of Van Halen talked about this week as MTV celebrates its 20th. I was dozing off in front of the set late Friday night and had MTV2 on, and they were playing concert videos...some old stuff, like Cheap Trick, Rush, it was great! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Any way, It was about 3 in the morning and I was practically out when I hear "Unchained" come on...I got up quick! Went to sleep happy....
    Also saw this "MTV Uncensored" show. It was pretty lame...except for the story of two MTV interns who ended up marrying after he proposed to her at Van Halen's 98 MSG show. They showed some footage of the show and when he came out and proposed...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very cool post Doucet!
    I'm glad too, that they showed BOTH major eras of VH (I don't really consider the Gary Cherone time, an ERA).....

Thanks for the info!
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Van Halen on MTV... Ah, those were the days.

Hell, rock in general on MTV were the days.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Stuff No More, they had some great quotes on the current state of rock late in the show.

The lead singer from Green Day (Billy Joe?) was talking about Limp Bizkit, and some other bands in that vein.

"I don't get this rock/rap crap. And I don't want to get it." [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

That was awesome. He was slammin' the gangsta rockers. I loved it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]