Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Like I said, I was at Peppers today, and I did get a chance to talk to Michael Anthony.
    I arrived at 5.45PM. The place was far from crowded. There were only four other VH fans. SoCalChelle was there (she's a moderator at PD). I knew there wasn't gonna b a huge crowed, if only because not that many people here at the links said they would go (due to the fact that some live as far away as Australia - hi Goo!). I'll admit I was a little surprise that there were only five of us, though. I don't know if it's a matter of coincidence, or if it shows that VH's fanbase has really shrank by a lot. I was expecting to see Brett too! Hey Brett, did u come later on?

I talked to Eric, who works at Yamaha's custom shop and designed Mike's new bass. He confirmed that Mike's set up has been totally inspired by what he was using on the first VH tour. they're going back full circle to the early sound, it seems. One thing that struck me is that as far as a potential tour, news or anything, even this Yamaha dude seemed to be under the "secret" policy. "I'll deny everything if you ask me", that's what he said concerning the "rumours". To think think that even the tech guys have to keep their mouth shut is a little disturbing. It's only rock'n'roll... unless Saddam Hussein is their new singer, then it would become National Security!
    I knew from the tone of that guy that I wouldn't get any major news today, VH's policy is really airtight. Maybe they could offer consulting services to the Pentagon on how to keep secrets from spilling over to the press!

Before I go on, I want to add something. Of course everything Michael Anthony told me was "off the record", as I'm not a journalist of any kind. I did tell him I was on VH Links and asked him if I could quote him on a few sentences. He didn't say yes or no but laughed. I hesitate to relate the entirety of what he said, because just the idea that because of this post there could be some tension between him and Ed and Al makes me very uneasy. These guys have always been my favorite band in the world and listening to their music has changed my life. At the same time, I think my conversation with him shined some light on some of the stuff that happened since 1998. I know some ppl here at VH Links are desperate for info, and I will say most of what I heard. If this creates tension, I trully apologise to everyone, my intention was never to create any problems, just to help out my fellow linkers.

Now to the good part!
    Right after I finished talking to that guy (who was really cool, by the way), Mike's two girls, his brother and his wife arrived. It was trully a family moment, so in a way maybe it was better that not that many people would have shown up.
    Shortly after the man arrived.
    Now as I had said I met Mike in 1995 backstage at a VH show in Europe.
    That's how I introduced myself, mentioning I had seen the posting for the "party" on madanthonycafe.com
    Mike immediately mentioned that he was here to party, not to talk about business. I thought that would be the end of it. Fortunately I was wrong.
    He asked me what I thought about the web site. I voiced some criticism of the design, but said I loved the intro and the stuff inside. He said he wanted to update it with a lot of stuff.
    "Of course it's a little premature to have news from the band", was one line that caught my attention. But he said that in the future, he will have some updates about the band on his site.
    As for the current state of the band? (I know u guys are waiting...)
    "I'm not at liberty to discuss that" were his exact words. The phrasing of it suggested something heavy, maybe legal matters. It also suggested someone else than him had issued that policy.
    I have to say that I didn't get the feeling that everything was all fine and dandy in the wolrd of VH right now. It seemed there are some complicated problems to be solved. Certainly it didn't seem to me that DLR was back, they were all good friends again and ready to roll. Fans who think that are in for a disapointment, I believe. They are recording right now, though, that's for sure. And a new album will come out, I'm sure of that too.

Mike also said that he created his web site because Ed and Al didn't want that stuff on the VH site, that the VH site has to be exclusively VH, they told him. I told him the VH site looked too serious, not fun enough. He answered:
    "It's not my fault, I'm the fun guy in the band".
    I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions on this one...
    Mike seems to take his site pretty seriously. He also mentioned he goes to the VH sites and the forums from time to time, just to check them out.

I asked why Brad Starks wasn't around. Mike said:
    "We'd have to pay for it! Every time we fly him down here, he gets wasted and puts it under "business" and bills it to the band!!"
    LOL

Mike also said this:
    They worked with two producers using Pro Tools, but it didn't sound as good as the material recorded in an analog way. Mike also said that he was recording back up vocals in the studio.

I asked him y u couldn't hear his voice on VHIII.
    At the mention of that album, his face frowned, and it was obvious it didn't bring good memories to mind. He said:
    "You'd have to talk to Ed about that"
    But he basically blamed the whole production defaults on Mike Post, which he told me:
    "I hold responsible for everything that went wrong on this album"
    He said the rough mixes that he had of the album sounded way better, particularly "One I Want" and "Fire In The Hole". I don't think he blamed Gary at all.

Now what about DLR? What about Sammy? What about y Gary left? Of course there was a million questions to ask. But Mike was with his family, he had to go sit with them, and I totally respect that. Before leaving he told me, pointing to his younger daughter:
    "Talk to her, she's my new PR person!"
    I said "bye", and left with a smile on my face...
    [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:25 AM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

cool story bro! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

either he's not at liberty to say cuz nothing is going on or there's a ton of $$$$$$$$$$ involved in this thing.

so...

we wait..

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

04.17.08 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post Little Dreamer! It sounds like it could be quite a while again before a new album but as long as they're making music is great to hear to me. Sounds like you got a positive vibe altogether! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    'Dave, how will I know that I've made it?' I tell 'em, 'When you can spell 'subpoena' without thinking about it, you made it'

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Well I was happy to see Mike again. They are recording, which I never doubted anyway. Ed's health is not even an issue, we didn't even talk about it.
    But good vibe?
    It depends on your perspective and on what you want.
    If you're dying for DLR's return, I don't think the vibe was necessarely that good. Such a tight silence has been imposed NOT for promotionnal reason.
    People who believe they're doing the:
    "we believe in publicizing the shit out of "we're ain't talking"" mentioned in DLR's book are way off.
    Why? Because I have the feeling DLR is certainly not calling the shots. He's not the driver, not even in the passenger's seat. In my opinion he's probably running behind the car! That's not what I'm hoping for, believe me, that's just the feeling I get.
    They're not talking because they can't or are afraid to for complex reasons.
    Something seemed to have happened around february which slowed things down.
    Now I'm not saying it can't happen, just things are still up in the air. Hence Mike's "premature" comment.
    I'm curious to know if some of the other VH Fans (mainly from PD) who stayed later on got any info when more shots had been downed, and things got loser (Mike even mention that if he kept drinking he might "reveal everything" - he said that laughing!). I had to leave early, unfortunately.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Some guy posting at PD described me as a"weird dude coming from Starsky and Hutch".
    I haved to take that as a compliment as I'm a fan of the serie. I was kind of dressed up (if that's what he meant), coz I had to go to a business meeting afterwards (believe me, I'd rather have stayed with Mike). But implying that I didn't respect Mike's time with his family is pretty uncool.
    I think I kept it reasonnable. I didn't mention the words "Dave" or "Sammy", which for a VH Fan takes some self-control!

All I can say is that some of the PD people that were there admitted that VH Links was cooler than PD. They even wondered y VH never made the links official...
    Little Dreamer

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Nice story Lil D !! I wish I could have been there with ya, but I'm halfway across the country. I'll bet Mike is a lil frustrated with the band these days. Looks and sounds like he is ready to go have some fun. Right now, as far as we know, he IS the fun in the band.

Thanks for sharing your story !!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.04.17 @ 02:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool post, Little Dreamer. It sounds like Mike is a bit frustrated with all the delays and not having his contributions highlighted as much as he deserves.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Damn, why did we have to move from California 15 years ago? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Pretty cool story, Little Dreamer. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] At this point, it really sounds like legal issues are holding this up - and I think that's almost expected, especially with the tumultuous relationship between DLR and the rest of the band. With the way the silence is, I think it's quite likely that's the case.
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fairwarning
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

03.03.08 @ 11:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was there also although I didn't meet anyone who identified themself as a VHLinks member.

As Little Dreamer has said, the whole thing was pretty much a family and friends affair, although later on in the evening the party moved from the patio outside the restaurant to the bar inside where I usually hangout. Through my connection to the regulars at Peppers (I am a fixture there myself), I got introduced to quite a few members of the Michael Anthony entourage, and ended up having long conversations with a lot of them. It was Michael's brother Steve who introduced me to Michael himself. I talked to Steve for probably an hour and he had a lot of good stories, including current goings on.

I also talked with Michael's dad, his brothers Dennis and Bob and his sister Nancy. Also in the house was Karen Valdez who was Van Halen's secretary back in the DLR days (check early liner notes).

Everyone was out to have a good time, Mike looked like he was feeling no pain as the evening progressed. I ended up talking to him mostly about Arcadia and how the town is changing.

The family seems pretty tight and they talked about how Michael looked after the family when VH hit it big and that he is actually one of the mellower siblings.

Without compromising what I was told, please e-mail me at vanhalen1@mail.com if you want any particular details, but let me just say that Ed appears to be okay, don't expect an album or tour anytime soon, and its going to take some work to see the reunion we all want to see happen, happen, but the band is very much aware of what the fans want to see and realize how huge it would be. I recommend that they hang out with Aerosmith to learn how a veteran band can get over old hang-ups and issues and get back to kicking out new music.

That's it for now.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Cool. I wish I could have been there, but at least a few people from this site got to. Can't wait to see some Van Halen-related news updates on Mike's site. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    WOW, sounds like the reunion will be a go, but not till next year. I'll bet Mike is chomping at the bit. He really sounds like a nice guy .....

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Little Dreamer:
    I told him the VH site looked too serious, not fun enough. He answered:
    "It's not my fault, I'm the fun guy in the band".
    I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions on this one...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, DAVE is the fun guy [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dammit Brett! Of all days you picked to move! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer, thanks for sharing man. I really wanted to go but Brett... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] nevermind. Still love the little guy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Mikey is the most down to earth guy you'll probably ever meet.
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You saw Chelle huh? LOL.

Anyway man, wish I coulda been there too. It would have kicked ass. I love hot food and shots of Cuervo. Perhaps Mikey and I would have bonded well had he not been with the family! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yup I saw Chelle.
    It was cool.
    She was a bit shy though when I was there. Maybe because it was her first time meeting Mike.

Then again I left before the booze started flowing...
    [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Little Dreamer