Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Can anybody tell me a little bit of the history of the various Van Halen websites - van-halen.com, vhlinks, vhnd, slawterhouse, dlrarmy - when they came about, any interrelation between them, etc.

------------------
    "model citizen, zero discipline..."

Eat Us And Smile, y'all

For more great Van Halen discussion, visit www.DLRArmy.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING, OU812
    Last Online

11.14.13 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I remember correctly... van-halen.com and vhnd came out in 1996. vhlinks was launched in september of last year.

------------------
    VAN HALEN NETWORK

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm going to throw this over to the Feedback Forum so Brett can give you a bit of the VHLinks history. He's probably pretty aware of the other ones as well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 11,572 Times in 4,933 Posts

Well here's what I remember....

Back in '95 whenI first got on the web, there were really no Van Halen sites at all. Whatever there was very remedial stuff created by guys on their school servers, very basic stuff back then. If you search our links, you can probably come across some of these OLD dead sites that were the first VH sites on the net. No one bought domain names back then. The Van Halen Bootleg site appeared first back then, but it was not at http://www.vhboots.com yet. Ron Higgins' had it on a school server I believe.

The first really good site was created by Brad Starks (now the Official Site Webmaster), and it was called "The Van Halen Encyclopedia." It looked the best, it had some cool info, and at that time, nobody had anything that looked as good or had as much good info. Eventually I am assuming Brad was hired by Van Halen to design and run an official site, and he launched http://www.van-halen.com sometime in 1997 I believe, maybe late '96.

Around March of '96 I bought the domain name, fairwarning.com. My fiancee was a big REM fan, so we worked together and created a VH-REM site and called it "Unchained Monster." It wasn't all that good, I had some audio, some midi files, album notes, bios, etc. The basics. I even had a UBB on the site when most of the world had never even seen a message board. It didn't do that well, but I left the site up for a couple years, tried to update it consistently, but lost interest and the site was pretty much dead by early 1999.

Around May of 1996, Grant Fisher launched the Van Halen News, and eventually he purchased the http://www.vhnd.com domain. By far the most updated VH site on the net, and has remained the ultimate source for up-to-date VH News on the web. I remember a couple years ago when Grant got real frustrated and announced he was closing the site down, apparently many people were able to convince him to keep it going, and that it was appreciated. Happily he has!

DLR launched his official site in late '97 I believe after the reunion fiasco. The site looked pretty good, was short on substance, and in my opinion, continues to lack substance and content. Their lounge over there at first was a breeding ground for screaming matches, insults, unbelievable arguments. I became bored with the place and stopped visiting early in '98.

In January of '99 I believe DLR Army.com was unveiled. Easily the best DLR site on the net, tons of multimedia, which of course Sarge was forced to take down, and this shut his site down for a while. When he started back up in January 2000, he has continued to make the site a great resource for old school VH and DLR fans, and with the added help of other people, has managed to make a site that should really be the Official DLR site.

Well that brings us to me. In June of 1999, I got the bug to start a Van Halen site again. Unchained Monster was still up, but it was basically dead. My fiancee didn't care about the REM part of it anymore, and I didn't really see the need to keep adding the same stuff that everyone else had. So I wanted to do something different. So I looked around and discovered that there really wasn't any site that was a definitive links list to EVERY VH site on the net. The VHND had the best links list, but it was still very incomplete.

So I got the idea of having a site just dedicated to Van Halen web links. Every site, I wanted it in our list. I spent literally a month going through all the search engines, the other Van Halen sites, compiling a list of working Van Halen sites. After I had about 200, I started working on desigining the site, that took another month. Then after I had the design, I spent about 3 days straight entering in all 200 links that I had. It was a tiring process, seemed like forever. Finally I felt that site looked good enough and had enough links to launch the site into the VH world!

VHLinks.com went live September 1, 1999, and I added the message board on September 2. At that time, we were the ONLY VH site that had this sophisticated of a discussion forum. Of course many saw our success and have since added a UBB to their sites, but we were the first. (Not the first message board, the first UBB board.) I emailed Brad and Grant about the site early on, and they both were very supportive. Grant wrote a story about the site on the VHND, and at one time, were were the only fan site linked from the Official Site. We got on Yahoo! in early November, and by early 2000, we were third most popular VH site on the net, behind the Official Site and VHND. Also in early 2000, we hit 1,000 members on the discussion forums, which was simply amazing to me!

It was at this time that I wanted to redo the logo and make t-shirts. Jerel Markstrom, Tim Bellante (Top Timmy), and a few others submitted logos to me. Jerel's and TT's were the best, but I went with Tim's and of course the new VHLinks.com logo was born in early March of 2000. Tim has also generously helped me redo all of the site's graphics the last several months, and helped me with the complete site re-design in June.

Over the last year, this place has grown from 200 links, and a few guys talking on a message board, to well some big place that has exceeded my wildest dreams. My goal was to make a Van Halen site of some value, I didn't quite get there with fairwarning.com at all, but I think I have with VHLinks.com. It won't stop anytime soon, I intend to keep making this place better and more enjoyable for you guys, because that's the whole point, to bring VH fans together. Funny how this thread came about right at our FIRST birthday. Ironic.

This was sort of a quick history, I know I have left out some great sites that were created a long the way, like the The VHVault and Van Halen Central. Jerel does a great job on the Vault, with all the radio broadcasts and the web hosting, his work is much appreciated by all of us. So I hope this long-winded post shed some light on the VH net history.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Very much so. Thanks!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

neat!!!

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm going to move that thread to the Meeting Place (Non Music) thread. This is a very interesting topic. Hopefully other webmasters of their respective sites can give their insight on this topic.

------------------
    VHLinks.com graphics dude

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Gonna bump this up to main actually - its a pretty worthy topic given the birthday bash, and it is VH related...

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Just another stamp in the passport for this topic. It's been everywhere.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.25.12 @ 02:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brett,

You're too hard on yourself about "fairwarning.com" I really liked that site, especially the album summaries. There isn't another place that I've seen that had that kind of behind the scenes information about what went into each album and song. I was always curious how you got that information. Also, can you add that stuff to this site somewhere? I think it would be a nice addition.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by 21X (edited September 02, 2000 at 06:28 PM).]

[This message has been edited by 21X (edited September 02, 2000 at 06:28 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

A VH-REM site called "Unchained Monster"! That's great.... y'know, I have a sister who is a huge Smashing Pumpkins nut, and for a while I worked on a VH-Pumpkins site called "Zero Discipline"...(are there any SP fans out there who get it?)

I got the following email on September 7, 1999 and I remember thinking, "Whoa...this guy has been emailing everyone out there that has a VH site! This is gonna be huge!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Just came across your great site, and wanted to tell you that we have added it
    to our database at VHLinks.com!

VHLinks.com is a new site, dedicated solely to links and information that is Van Halen related. We are working very hard to grow the list of links. Much of the info was compiled from the VHND and the Official VH Site as well as some other
    smaller sites, and we weeded through all the dead links to only include active
    sites, so there should be very few if any dead ones.

So come and check us out at http://www.vhlinks.com and search through our
    listings to find yours. Feel free to use the modify form, and switch any information you'd like. We also have a Site Of The Week Award, a VH discussion forum, and our own newsletter you can sign up for.

We would love to get a reciprocal link on your site, to help us get the word out to all the VH fans out there about our site and service. It's not required, but we're hoping you would like to do it. Go to this page: http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/linktous.htm, and you can get a small text link or if you want, we have a couple graphical links you can use.

Of course you can just put whatever you want as a link to us too, if you want.

Thanks a lot! If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Brett Norton
    Webmaster http://www.vhlinks.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Dirty Faced Kids...the hope of the future!
    "1989" - Maya's Van Halen Page
    Offical Designated Driver for the Atomic Drunks...where everybody knows your screen name.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    It all sounded so innocent.. yeh he was drawing you into his web... MU HA HA HA

Now your trapppppppped

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 11,572 Times in 4,933 Posts

Hey thanks 21X, didn't know anyone noticed that info. I compiled it from a book called "Uncle Joe's Record Guide," and got the other info from various places across the net and a couple other books that I came across. I actually don't have the pages anywhere anymore, wished I had kept them. They needed to be updated to look better though.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com