Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently read Gene Simmons autobigraphy and he explains in detail how Kiss's reunion worked.

For one thing, Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were guaranteed a lump sum, regardless of how well or poorly the tour did. If they did badly, they'd still get paid. If it did boffo business (which it did) they'd STILL get the same lump sum, while Simmons and Paul Stanley made out like bandits.

Due to these financial disputes, the band has since fractured and now features hired hands in Ace and Peter's makeup. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

DLR knows a VH reunion would do HUGE business, (possibly better than The Eagles or Kiss) and doesn't want to get shorted.

On the other hand, DLR could reap the rewards afterwards if he were to resume his carreer as a solo artist. He'd be back in the public eye, and could demand a higher price for appearances. I'm sure Dave knows this as well, but wants to stay in VH. This leads me to believe it was going to be a one time deal anyways.

What does everyone else think?

[ May 06, 2002 at 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Fast Eddie ]</p>
    Fast Eddie

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's impossible to answer such a question without knowing what the offer IS.

Mikey throwing out a figure like "30 million" means nothing without the context in which it was offerred, i.e. what the whole amount was and what percentage of it was offerred to Dave.

As I have said before there are 2 and only 2 equitable splits for a reunion deal. The most obvious is a 4 way split at 25% each. It's doubtful that anyone in the band would argue if that were the case. The other fair split would be an equal larger cut for Dave & Eddie, as the songwriters and creative chemistry of the band, and an equal lesser cut for Mikey and Alex. It is certainly not likely that Dave would have walked away from either of these 2 scenarios.

So, logically, we would have to assume a scenario in which Eddie offered Dave a lower percentage than he would be getting himself. Dave would take this as an insult, and rightfully so, especially if Alex were also getting the bigger cut. Dave has said before that Van HALEN was "97% me, 97% Eddie, and 3% the other two". While the math may not be entirely accurate, it's obvious to anyone with functional ears that Dave and Eddie ARE Van HALEN for all creative intents and purposes, and that any monies made on a reunion should be split equally, at least between the two of them.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree FORD and as I said in another thread, it's known that Mike and Dave don't get along, so it shouldn't be surprising that Mike would pin the blame on Dave.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who's to say that an offer was even ever made to DLR?
    what was dat?

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Fu Man ChuChu Rodriquez:
    Who's to say that an offer was even ever made to DLR?
    Mikey said he turned down an offer of 30 million. You can't turn down an offer that doesn't exist.

The question should be... Was Mikey lying last November, or is he lying now, or both. Because there is an obvious contradiction between the statements he made then, and what he's saying now.
    Eat Us And Smile

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, FWYS
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As I said in another post, I can't see VH getting offered $120 million or more, to do a tour. I could see an offer of $30 million to the band. Maybe Eddie and Alex only wanted an higher percentage, and left Dave with only $3-4 million. I can easily see Dave turning that down.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why should I beleive Mikey Van Halen right now? He said there would be an album out last year. I have never heard DLR say he was offered anything.
    what was dat?

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I thought that Ace and Peter supposedly made 1 or 2 million each on the original reunion tour. In that situation, those 2 probably could live a decent life on royalties from the early KISS years, but you take the response at the unplugged gig as well as a chance for them to put that kind of money in the bank, and they both probably jumped at the deal. I think the problem was when they recorded, they were hardly part of the process on Psycho Circus, and it showed, and the money shot their way for that tour and the neverending final tour winds up being a slap in their face and they bail when they want just a little more of the pie, because Gene is one greedy mofo.

Now, we get to VH. Do Eddie and Alex feel they are the Paul and Gene of VH, the two driving forces that have kept it together all this time, and if Dave does come back, any offer of less than 25% each and 4 way involvement in all decision making would lend to that way of thinking, and DLR is not going to go back to a band that he helped put on the map and be a hired hand working on salary. I don't think he would do that even if he was in the same financial position as Ace and Peter were before the KISS reunion.

If it really is just a rock band, and the band has 4 members, then you split the band share of the money 4 ways. The writing part, well, that should probably be split the way they always did in the early days.

To offer a one shot deal or even consider it, would lend to the idea it is all about the money, and there is no intention of trying to move forward and make new music. If they make and album and tour and decide after that if they want to to do more, that would be more about the music to me.

I guess I just want to see them make music together because they want to, and if they really did, and were jacked up about the music they were making, the money part of the equation would take care of itself. As I've said before, 1/4 of a big shitpile of money, is still a very large shitpile of money. How much is fucking enough?
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're all deluding yourselves if you really think money is the main issue to this hold-up...
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

[img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

There's no way in hell DLR turned down that offer.

Then again, in my opinion there never was an offer.

MA is full of shit! Eddie Van Halen couldn't make a decision if his life depended on it.

EVH couldn't find his asshole with a funnel.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by The Full BuD:
    You're all deluding yourselves if you really think money is the main issue to this hold-up...
    Right.....

Eddie's only recent actions have been to threaten lawsuits against anyone using white stripes on a red background (still waiting on a press release from Coca Cola regarding their response to Ed's lawyer). Seems to me that money is his ONLY issue right now.

If he gave a shit about music, he would have a band.

Or were you about to convert this into another sheep sympathy "poor sick Eddie" cryfest?
    Eat Us And Smile

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

the 30 million story could be on the mark. i was told over a year ago that van halen was offered 100 million dollars to do a reunion tour...and if roth is getting 30 million of that and still won't do it, then fuck everything i say

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

To tell you the truth 100 million sounds low. In 1996 when it looked like Roth was indeed rejoining the band they were reportedly offered 250 million to do a reunion with Roth. I read that quote in one of the Inside magazines.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Mario VH:
    To tell you the truth 100 million sounds low. In 1996 when it looked like Roth was indeed rejoining the band they were reportedly offered 250 million to do a reunion with Roth. I read that quote in one of the Inside magazines.
    Well, if Dave was only offered 30 out of 250, that's completely fucked up. But as I said at the top of this thread, there's no point in further speculation on the offer, without knowing what the offer IS.
    Eat Us And Smile

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What kind of "offer" is this? And does it exist at all?

How can you have offers with no management? I can't see that at all, unless it's coming from the label, where still, you need management or agents to work deals.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion