Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It just struck me. In 96'at the MTV awards if Dave had went on stage, stood in the background, nodded his head and smiled at everything Alex and Ed said, and didn't give the press any quotable comments, everybody and his brother would have said. "What's wrong with Dave?" "He lost his edge" "he's this, he's that!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I totally agree with you, If Dave would have stood there like a bump on a log people would have said Dave was uncomfortable, pushed into it, a arrogant jerk, etc etc...

Dave did what Dave does and thats entertain, the crowd was loving him and wanting more. The only thing that would have gotten a better responce from the crowd was if they said ya know what Beck go sit down we are going to play a song.

------------------
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    and thats about what its worth

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If you put rules on an artist, the artist and the art will suffer. Dave has to be Dave.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.24.08 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave was just being Dave

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I guess and Eddie and Alex thought that Dave would just be their puppet, thinking Dave would do as they wanted so they would let him back in or something and they would be in charge or whatever. Instead, Dave's attitude was as if he had never left the group. Eddie and Alex are cool, but their attitudes stink.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

remember,al said..."the fans know when theyre being fooled" well im starting to feel fooled.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

The only thing that stood out for me was when Dave went to shake Eddie's hand, and then hugged him. Dave honestly looked like he wanted to reconcile the past, while the look in Eddie's eyes were like he made a deal with the Devil. The point is, Dave was being Dave, I personally don't think he was disrespectful to B-b-b-beck, and in fact if you remember after he did his schtick, he was getting the audience to get on their feet and clap for him.

What it comes down to is:

A) Eddie knew he was using Dave for the two Songs.

B) Alex and Mikey I don't believe knew that Eddie wanted Dave out all together. I think that because Eddie speaks Alex jumps. (No pun intended)

C) Gary was already in the studio with Eddie and Eddie alone. Look closely at Alex and Mikey's reaction with Dave there. I am no psychologist (wait, actually I have my B.S. in it! ) But you can see a genuine good rapport between Alex, Mikey and Dave. Yet With Eddie and Dave, Eddie looked like he was already involved with something else, and the uneasiness of his stage presance with Dave is very apperant.

-Bostonian

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's always puzzled me about Ed is, he's always portrayed himself as being the shy, quiet, easy going, introverted, normal guy next door, who wasn't really interested in being in the spotlight. So why is it he feels so threatened by Dave presence, especially in 96'? What's the problem, Ed plays the guitar and Dave plays the crowd. Face it, Ed has just as big an ego as anyone in the business.

------------------
    I'm the one who makes the tiger go 'way for ya, and I'm the one who brings 'im back out when ya least expect it!
    David Lee Roth, NBC's Friday Night Videos, 1985

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can't lose what you never had

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

actually, eddie's reaction at the MTV awards was crystal clear.

put it this way: when dave and ed began mending the fences at 5150 with the two new songs, it wasall about the music.
    the trio in VH are musicians. dave is part musician, but mostly he's a showman.

the second dave started in with his "entertainment" (which was anything but on that night), it was no longer about the music. judging by the look on eddie's face, it's rather obvious that he was overwhelmed that the feeling of being bossed around by dave's ego for all those years was all of a sudden back with vigor.

it was no longer about the music.

that's why it all fell apart.

"baby steps, baby steps." that was EVH's stance since DAY ONE of getting back with dave. everyone knew it, but chose to ignore it after they split again in '96.

if they had never gone to MTV and Dave worked his ass off - putting the music first and working on his voice - then there would never have been a need to get a 3rd singer. also, from what i've learned here at Links, Ray Danniels had a lot to do with the bad decisions as well.

------------------
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge
    "See, all I do is make music..." - EVH
    "Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR

[This message has been edited by VanEdge (edited September 21, 2000 at 06:49 AM).]

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Edge,

You stated earlier in your post that "dave is part musician, but mostly he's a showman."
    To say Dave is only part musician is not fair to Dave himself.

Which part of Dave is a Musician? To what would make him qualify to be a complete musician oppose to the partial musician you claim?

What would make Dave a "Whole" musician opposed to "part?" Would he have to compose music? Would he have to write, play seven different instraments? I think you are definately short changing Dave musically, when he was/is every part of the band.

Also, here is another thing to think about. Knowing what type of person dave is, and how he plays the audience. WOuldn't you think that Eddie would have known Dave would react as he did on MTV? Is eddie that stupid not to have that thought cross his mind?

Like I said earlier in my pervious post, Dave was merely acting like Dave. For better for worse, it seem the crowd enjoyed it. The band members excluding Eddie, looked like they were enjoying the moment too. I wasn't there back stage to see what transpired afterwards.

This whole notion of "baby steps" only came to light after the awards. I do not remember anytime before hand were it was stated that there were on the "What about Bob? Baby Steps" recovery program.

All in all, if you ask me, what ever happened happened immediately after the show, back stage. I truely think that Dave's behavior, attitude, or what have you was the result of the demise of VH. All parties in this soap opera are to blame. Whether it was Dave's "Open letter" to the public (which if you ask me was a ploy to generate sympathy), or Eddie working with Gary while Dave was termporarily back in the bad, or the whole MTV fiasco. There is something there that the public, fans, and etc are not aware of, nor do I think we will ever be.

-Bostonian

[This message has been edited by Bostonian (edited September 21, 2000 at 07:27 AM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I keep hearin' how Dave refused to believe it was "just baby steps" as Ed put it. Yet, I just listened to Dave's Howard Stern interview shortly after the 96' MTV awards and HE was the one who was extremely cautious about the reunion. In fact, Stern was the one to keep insisting that the reunion was a done deal. Deep down I think he suspected they were "screwing" with him but he didn't wanna say anything until the final verdict was in.

Bostonian - you nailed it right on! I think all parties are to blame in their own little ways. Plus I think there was a some manipulation by a certain manager, who shall remain nameless.
    ------------------
    I'm the one who makes the tiger go 'way for ya, and I'm the one who brings 'im back out when ya least expect it!
    David Lee Roth, NBC's Friday Night Videos, 1985

[This message has been edited by dropdeadlegs (edited September 21, 2000 at 07:29 AM).]

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Van Edge,

Excellent post! I think you may have hit the nail right on the head! You can just see that wave of "ohmigod" wash over Ed and you have a great point. Suddenly, 8-10 years of being with someone who has an ego/personality the size of Dave's comes flooding back over you and you're at a point in your life now where YOU have control over your destiny. Man, that could have been the proverbial straw, VE! I also agree with the statement that Al, Mike and Dave ALL 3 seemed to be gettin' their jollies off together, laughing and messin' around a bit. Let's hope they are doing the "baby steps" thing this time and it all works itself out.

Wonder if they're consulting with Dr. Marvin...Dr. Leo Marvin... Man, that was an excellent movie!! (What About Bob)

------------------
    Hello...please stick with us...we have a minor problem...I gotta go to the bathroom...I'll be back in 10 minutes.

-Eddie Van Halen 8/13/98

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with the edge, Roth is or should I say was mostley showman, you need not look any further than the past 13 years at what he's done "Which is basically nothing" to tell you that. His last New CD was a copy of 1984. He has mediocore writing skills by himself. Vh's heart and soul is Eddie's guitar playing and music writing ability. Roth basically served as the master of ceromonies.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

bostonian, let me clarify that musician point about dave:

i didn't say nor did i infer that he was a sub-par musician. that's not what i meant.
    but i certainly do not believe that he ever ate, slept, and breathed music the way eddie and alex do. dave could have easily been an actor or entertainer of any sort. he just happened to be the quintessential frontman, and a perfect fit for the flamboyant & flashy 80s.

these qualities that made dave a great frontman back then were never a part of eddie's and alex's agenda. ed and al would be musicians (and will continue to be) regardless of fame, poverty, or any other circumstances.

that's why they couldn't keep it together.

DDlegs,
    you bring up the most important and undisputable proof that dave knew it was a fragile situation from the get go. that's the one thing that too many fans seem to forget. dave HIMSELF knew that nothing was etched in stone.

now, when the mighty VH returns and if they are able to tour with dave, you can bet your ass i'll be screaming my head off at every show i can get tix for. that being said, there is no need to see a 50 year old prancing around like he's 18. dave "being dave" must evolve into something more than it was 20 years ago.

------------------
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge
    "See, all I do is make music..." - EVH
    "Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR