Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it says,"and the group van halen have all split-on their own terms or not- with major recording companies thrilled to unload fat contracts." it goes on to say aging rockers are "not going to get on top 40 radio now, and thats how albums are sold". so maybe this has nothing to do with if dave or sammy is back it all has to do with making money on younger groups. so i hope eddie starts his own lable and hits number one and sticks it back in their faces.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the quote! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,460 Times in 896 Posts

Hopefully, we will found out real soon but I'm not holding my breath on anything.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

While top 40 stations that play the hell out of a wide range of acts from Britney to Nickleback are a dime a dozen. The more and more popular trend in radio programming is to a "Mix" station.
    Here in Boston we have MIX 98.5. They play acts like Jewel, Madonna, Creed, U2, Sugar Ray & Aerosmith. They don't play BSB, Britney, or Nstink.
    Music is finally starting to "grow up" again. A radio friendly new VH song like Jump or Right Now would get alot of play on those stations. Its an older audience that they go for and lets face it, All the BSB fans from 5 years ago are now in their late teens to early 20's. They grew too.

Their is a place on radio for aging rock stars, its just not on the teenie bopper/hip hop stations.

If the songs are good, they will get played......

[ February 08, 2002 at 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]</p>
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by Eddymon:

Here in Boston we have MIX 98.5. They play acts like Jewel, Madonna, Creed, U2, Sugar Ray & Aerosmith. They don't play BSB, Britney, or Nstink.

Their is a place on radio for aging rock stars, its just not on the teenie bopper/hip hop stations.

Yeah but even 98.5 and BOS won't play VH. VH is stuck in a limbo world where the "adult" stations that will play Bon Jovi or U-2 won't play even pop VH tunes, and the "rock" stations are caught up in Limp Dick bullshit. Maybe Mix 98 will play some, but they don't now, and they play some dated shit. About the only stations in the Boston area I think will play VH are actually in Manchester NH and Providence RI, 101.1 and 94. And that just sucks.

[ February 08, 2002 at 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Incredible Edible Dude ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

If Vh has a NEW song thats radio friendly like Bon "blow me" did last year, then it will get played.
    Occasionally I'll here JUMP or CAN"T STOP EATING FOOD on there. But hey play mostly newer music with some throw-backs mixed in.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Eddymon:

Sorry, but you' couldn't be more wrong.

Songs get played based on the amount of money the labels pay the radio stations. It's to the point now where major labels won't release music (I don't care how popular an artist is: See DMB) unless they are full of potential singles. Their are countless bands and tons of great music that will never be heard under the current system.

The next time you hear a DJ say, "Coming up, I'll play a request for (insert band name here)." He/She is pulling your leg because his playlist was made out for him days ago by the radio station execs. Unless of course you're listening to college or public radio.
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by joe318:
    so maybe this has nothing to do with if dave or sammy is back it all has to do with making money on younger groups.
    I've been trying to say this ALL along. Many of the people who make the decisions now, are commercial driven young suits, many of whom may have been in diapers when Van Halen 1 hit the records shelves in 1978. The cold hard facts are not too many of these types are going to look seriously at a middle-age group of hard rock 'n rollers, who haven't had a hit record in years, and no lead singer. It's all relative. Probably the reason Van Halen got they're break in '78 was because Warner big shots Ted Templeman, Lenny Waronker and Mo Ostin were not far removed in age from Ed, Al, Mike and Dave. They were of the same late '60's early '70's generation. Of course, Van Halen could release a killer new record and that might change the sentiment of many young record execs. Until that happens, don't expect them to give band's like Van Halen much of a chance in today's music business.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Not all the music markets are into the pop mix crap...

Austin Texas, KLBJ FM mainstream rock station for a few decades here. They play all the rock w/ no pop. Have been sitting in the top ratings slot for years... over and above the pop stations!!

Don't know WTF is wrong w/ the rest of the nation... guess good taste in music isn't as widespread as one would believe!!! Texas ROCKS!!!
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by dropdeadlegs:

Probably the reason Van Halen got they're break in '78 was because Warner big shots Ted Templeman, Lenny Waronker and Mo Ostin were not far removed in age from Ed, Al, Mike and Dave. They were of the same late '60's early '70's generation.
    Before anyone calls me up to this quote, I'll backtrack a bit. Here' s snippet of article I found on former Warner Bros. record head Mo Ostin...

"It strikes me as odd that it's only now, at the end of a very long career, that Mo Ostin receives such accolades. A very knowledgeable friend of mine recently told me that he considered Ostin the greatest record executive ever, and it took me a minute to figure out what he meant. After all, unlike Sam Phillips, John Hammond, or Ahmet Ertegun, Ostin made no music. Today's best-known Warner Brothers artists, Prince, Madonna, and Van Halen, weren't signed by him, nor for that matter did Ostin create an auspicious atmosphere for them. In fact, the Warner Brothers corporate hierarchy always seemed a little embarrassed by them."

Turns out that Ostin is an much older guy too. Interestingly enough both he and former bigwig Lenny Waronker are heads of the Dreamworks/SKG record label. What are the chances of Ed and the band trying to court their former bosses to get signed on their label?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zahzoo:
    Not all the music markets are into the pop mix crap...

Austin Texas, KLBJ FM mainstream rock station for a few decades here. They play all the rock w/ no pop. Have been sitting in the top ratings slot for years... over and above the pop stations!!
    Not a true statement, the pop station KQBT is Number 1 in the Austin market.
    In fact KLBJ hasn't placed higher than 5th in the Austin market over the last year and in my opinion is one of the worst rock stations i've ever heard considering the market size.

Here's the link to the lastest arbitron ratings, Austin is market 43.

http://www.fmqb.com/fmqb/upfront_ratingsf.html

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

all accept vh3
    Favorite VH Song

all accept vh3
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

vh is pushing up daisys [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    "CANT CROW BEFORE I'M OUTTA THE WOODS BUT THERES EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE"

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

READ Fat Tones post.........

WB says, "No DAVE, NO CONTRACT"!!!!

They booted VH because VH don't want to work with their rightful frontman and lead vocalist!!!

[img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

The problem I see with radio in Tampa is that the stations have a narrow format. They have classic classic, which plays Zep, Santana, Hendrix, and the really older classic stuff. Then you have what I refer to as the hair-band classics and they mix in a little of the other classics, but you don't hear Black Crowes, very little Clapton, and a bit of classic VH and the very rare Sammy VH song. Then there's a new rock that caters to Weezer, Incubus and that type of stuff and 98 ROCK which is heavy on the obnoxious with some Ozzy and AC/DC thrown in. The mix station plays lighter rock that's new and although I'm glad they're not making me listen through ten teeny bopper hits to get to Lenny Kravitz, there's still a whole shitload of music that doesn't fit in anywhere. I really miss WPLR in Connecticut. And I've been in the booth there and they really do slip in requests, especially on Radio Free Fridays and weekends.

There is something inherently wrong with music today. Some of these bands are more morose and angry than poor old Ozzy could ever be. I swear to God Staind could drive me to suicide before Oz could! And that video with the kid moaning over his parents not talking to him. The first thing I'd do when he sat down at the table is rip those headphones off of him! Oh, I'm getting on my soapbox here, I'm sorry. Maybe this is what it's like to get old. It's taken two, maybe three decades for kids to find something in music to piss their elders off with.
    Could this be magic?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi z28 girl, yeah wplr is great, and if you did not know they have a new studio in milford. wplr has been playing alot of dave era van halen the last couple of days.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.