Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 16,507 Times in 9,354 Posts

Does anybody remember the interview that Kurt Loder did with VH after the '96 MTV Awards? He asked the band, "What do you think the crowd was trying to tell you with that standing ovation when you came out on stage? Alex replied, "It just goes to show that you can't BS the people.

Consider this statement in conjunction with the VH Brothers' unwavering claim that, "Dave was never told he was oficially in the band." Well Alex, I guess you can, and did, BS the people.

Also, Eddie always refers to the huge standing ovation they received (from music industry types and celebrities no less, not a crowd of VH fanatics) as "half-assed." Obviously, Eddie was trying to diminish the excitement and anticipation of the then failed reunion with Dave.

All of that being said, I sincerely believe that Diamond Dave is back in the VH fold and a new CD and tour are imminent. I hope they can put all of the "bad blood" behind them and give us some great Rock-and-Roll.

[This message has been edited by I Coulda Hada VH (edited December 30, 2000 at 08:44 AM).]

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:21 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I tend to agree, Dave is back. It's only a matter of time...

FYI - If in the title of this thread you were quoting from "Can't Get This Stuff No More", the actual line is:

"That's How It Is, When You Tell The Truth..."

Just a little clarification

[This message has been edited by Rokgtar (edited December 30, 2000 at 12:42 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Yeah. Can I add that to my collection of misheard lyrics?

------------------
    http://maya.iuma.com <-- My Stuff
    http://www.vhvault.com/1989 <-- My Van Halen Page

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"I Coulda Hada VH", I like the name! That was my entry for the VHLinks T-shirt slogan.

------------------
    salt shake a'little lick o' lime!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

van halen are indeed a unique monster. it would appear that deception runs through the band's career like a cancer. having only known of half truths and hearing self serving opinions, it is apparent that behind the music of van halen is a very complicated and ugly world. it is a shame. i, like most fans, remember the van halen goofing off on stage and video, thinking it was not possible for a band to have such a great time together. many of us picked up an instrument to try and capture that moment ourselves.

with the devasting news of the demise of the original van halen, came the realisation that almost since the release of their second offering to the public, there was internal differences that give birth to the cancer, which would fester for twenty five years, a cancer which was fueled by liquor, drugs, greed, paranoia and parhaps jealously. new singer........same cancer.

great bands have had this cancer, bands like black sabbath, deep purple, rolling stone, some make it, some don't. bands like van halen, simply put, must rid it self of this destructive front, and stop all the deceptions and lies to the fans, as blatantly displayed by alex van halen at the said press conference, and to themselves. signs show that it may have started and things look positive.......

never mind the wait people, there was alot of issues that had to be addressed and settled prior to the band even having tacos with each other. if something is left to fester for twenty five something years, it is going to take a while to truely, not temporarily, break it down, and maybe, become friends again. the best way to start is by telling the truth to each other and show some respect to the many fans that enjoy the very essence of van halen....the music.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dude, great post. i agree 100 percent.

------------------
    EBAS!!!!
    i know i would!!!
    i am a Dirty Faced Kid, although i do fancy myself a good lookin' fellow...
    AD for life...
    Diamond Mafia... respect the family...fuhgetaboutit

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MineAllMine:
    "I Coulda Hada VH", I like the name! That was my entry for the VHLinks T-shirt slogan.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good call man. I was just thinking that I've seen that before. Out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw this back in 96, but haven't seen it since. Does anyone know how it can be seen? I'm referring to the awards show itself as well as any interviews, press conferences,etc. following the show. Thanks.

------------------
    Nothin' says lovin' like Moonshine and Twinkies.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Isn't it "That's how it is when you tell the truth"?

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

"It's like somebody stealing your car and coming back the next week saying, hey check out my new car!" -EVH talkin' bout his two-hand tapping technique

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

peavey5150 should write the Vh1 Behind the Music for VH...KILLER POST!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

First of all, my bad on the title of this thread. I just listened to CGTSNM and it is indeed, "That's How It Is When You Tell The Truth." You'll have to forgive me. I'm the same guy who thought the lyrics in Rage Against The Machine's "Killing In The Name Of" (I think this is the title???) were, "Some of those who ride horses are the same that drive Porsches".

Second of all, Van Edge, I have to disagree with you on a couple of points. Number one, I think that the standing ovation was genuine and was a result of the crowd's surprise and excitement of seeing Dave up there with the rest of the band. Remember, this audience was comprised of celebrities and others who most likely had no idea that Dave was going to be there with VH that night. They were probably thinking, "Alright, The Mighty VH back together again", just as most of us hardcore VH fanatics were thinking.

Number two, Kurt Loder hardly cornered Alex with that question. It was one of a series of questions that he directed towards the entire band during that interview. Also, did you notice during the time they were onstage and Dave was doing his thing that Alex was laughing and basically encouraging Dave to be, well, Dave. Meanwhile, Eddie looked like he had just found out that Valerie had been traded for Rosie O'Donnel. I read in Dave's book that Dave thinks that Alex basically set him up to piss off Eddie and kill any chance he had of being permanently back in the band.

Lastly, does anyone remember Dennis Miller, who was hosting the show that night, singing a brief little ditty that took a major dig at Sammy? The gist of it was that Sammy taking Dave's place in VH was a major mistake. He did this right after VH walked off the stage. It was pretty obvious that he also thought Dave was back in the fold.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

that whole night was a complete mess.
    i never heard that eddie said the ovation was half-assed. i thought i was one of the few who saw right through that two-faced crowd.
    the reception they got that night was about the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen. VH was, is, and will always be useless to MTV unless they have a huge hit or there is some bad VH news to report. the fact that all those assholes were giving a standing O was the biggest act of insincerity since bill clinton apologized for screwing a fat intern.

anyway, when that so-called newsman kurt loder (who is only good at kissing madonna's stank and talentless ass) corners alex with that kind of question, what kind of response could we possibly expect? it was a loaded question to begin with. loder asked it to get one of two responses: a. dave is back in the band or b. to get alex to say something negative.

------------------
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge
    "See, all I do is make music..." - EVH
    "Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Coulda,

I see your point, but I have to disagree with your feelings about that crowd. MTV and its constituents have no use for Van Halen unless the band is hot or there is some bad news to report or a reason to make fun of them. MTV worshipped VH in 1984, showed them respect with the 1986 rockumentary, and that's about it. The other 99% of the time, VH is is the butt of MTV's jokes. VH means nothing to them unless something nasty is going on.

It was common knowledge - especially to the hard core vh fans - that dave was not back in on a permanent basis. many people seem to have forgotten about that. EVEN DAVE said it was temporary on Howard Stern's show BEFORE the MTV fiasco. i knew the mtv thing was a mistake the second i saw the audience pretend to actually give a shit about the band. they didn't care about the band! the audience was as two faced as any politician has ever been. what has MTV or anyone at that channel (with the exception of Matt Pinfield, Austin, & Georgie) ever done except make fun of Dave, make fun of Sammy, and make fun of Gary, and now VH altogether?

they don't care about anything but the hype.

does MTV have the power to force people into things like an appearance like that? of course they do, unless you want to be blackballed as an artist.

take a look at MTV.com -- even the pictures of the band in the news items on the site make them look like jerks.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Van Edge,

I remember hearing and seeing Dave on Stern's show a few days AFTER the MTV appearance, and Dave was acting like and implying that he was indeed back in the VH fold. I remember him talking with Howard about percentages of upcoming music and concerts. Within a week of Dave appearing on Stern, it was made official that he was NOT back in VH.

As far as the crowd at the '96 MTV Awards, it sure looked to me that there were a lot of happy faces in the audience when the band walked out on stage. One guy I distinctly remember seeing in the crowd was Chris Rock, and he looked pretty excited. I think this just shows the mass appeal of the personality of Diamond Dave. I think his sense of humor and overall presence is what has been missing from VH ever since 1984.

Eddie and Dave may get along about as well as Howard Stern and Kathy Lee Gifford, but they sure made (and hopefully are making) great music together.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I Coulda: You mentioned that Dave thinks Alex set him up to piss off Eddie. You mean to tell me that Dave is not responsible for Dave's actions...but that Alex is? You seem to find only negative in the VH brothers...as if you know very incisive details. No offense, but drop that Globe mag your reading.

VanEdge: I agree with your impression about the MTV crowd in '96. They could really care less about anybody. Eddie's statement of it being "half-assed" sounds a lot more logical...just because he was there...we were not. Sounds more honest too. And Dave, well yeah, he was there too, but he isn't going to say that crowd was half-assed....of course he'll say they all loved him .