On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know there are bootleg audio recordings of VH goin' back to late 1975. Maybe there are some even earlier but I havent seen them.

Anyways, what is the earliest known concert footage of VH? Was it a concert from their first tour in 78'? Is there any video footage of them from the club days or earlier?

I am strictly talking about early live footage of them playing. This does not include the funny ass promo video they did for Warner Bros. where they played a few tunes at the Whiskey.
    Thanks...

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!
    Last Online

06.09.16 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fresno, California, 1978, is the earliest that I am aware of.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

5150/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds/Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the first show of the Van Halen 2 World Tour.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Badabing:
    Is there any video footage of them from the club days or earlier?
    This is a question I've thought about quite a bit over the last couple of years (man, do I need mental help or what?!?! ).

What was the state of video recording at the time that Van Halen were in the clubs, say between 75 and 77??? When did the boom of beta/vhs type video recording come into play?

Dave mentions in his book that Bill Gazarri would film himself getting blown by girls, I wonder if Bill ever video taped the bands playing as well! Playing MUSIC on stage, I mean!!!

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

At risk of sounding like a know-it all, I'll do my best to shed some light on the history of video since that's the friggin business I'm in and I actually went to colege to learn about the history of TV, so here's my answer to Glenn's question about video recording and how it pertains to VH.....

Around the time VH was rockin' the clubs, home video recording was just an idea in the mind of some dude working for either Sony or Panasonic in Japan...and the only pro recording devices were those big bulky reel to reel machines. About the size of a 32 inch TV with the tapes on them. If any of you guys watch the George Michael Sports Machine show, it's those big decks that he "pretends" to roll. (And no, it's not THAT George Michael! [img]smile.gif[/img] )

So that said, the footage of Bill Gazzari was either some type of home film format, like 8mm film, or Gazzari had access (and the bucks to afford) those huge-ass video recording machines. And unless that stuff was properly taken care of, odds are the footage, either tape of film, is in pretty bad shape by now.

As for the BTM-type shows where there's early footage of a band....think about how old many of these bands are. Home video slowly became available from around 1976 and in about ten years or so, the cameras and recorders became affordable to a lot of people. Home video cameras were pretty big and clunky all the way up to the early 90s, so you can imagine how hard it would be for a bootlegger to shoot an audience recording. Of couse, some fucker in Canada did it in 1984! But that would give a clue as to why audience shot tapes are much more available nowadays, sicne it's easier to get the cameras in.

And if a band was around during the 70s and there's available footage, my guess is that they were a lot more "generous" in terms of having it released for something. We all know VH has a bunch of stuff lying somewhere, except its probably never been seen by anyone except the band and management/record label types. I've always wondered about the Oakland 79 show that VH played. The bill also feature AC/DC and Aerosmith. There is existing footage of Aerosmith from that day. You think anyone shot VH that day? And on a related note, AC/DC is releasing a DVD featuring Bon Scott shot in 1977 next month....a good example of a band making use of footage shot a long time ago and putting it out for their fans.......

[ February 11, 2003, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: kpl ]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Thanks kpl, that's exactly the kind of information I was interested in. [img]smile.gif[/img]

AC/DC is releasing a DVD featuring Bon Scott shot in 1977 next month....a good example of a band making use of footage shot a long time ago and putting it out for their fans
    Though I'm not really much of an AC/DC fan, I find this to be very exciting news. It's nice to hear of a band going back to their classic era and celebrating it with a video release. I can think of several bands (one in particular ) that I hope could be inspired by this move.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I dont think ya need help for thinking about this. Or maybe I am just as loony as you and dont know the difference? lol..

All kidding aside I think it's legit to wanna know. I seen so many damn documentaries on bands/artists & many have video of when they where starting out i.e.- playing in school concerts, clubs, or even playing as kids! I seen the amazing pics of VH from The Inside where they have tons of pics from the club days to the VH brothers childhood. I just cant believe that somewhere along the line someone didnt freakin' record these guys on video!

I remember that Gazzari story. Ole' Bill was quite the, uh, "cinematographer"...
    I also seem to remember in the Club Days issue some of the old crew from Pasadena saying that when the cops would raid a backyard party they would come full force with helicopters and film the raid! They said they know there is videotape of a raids on parties that VH happened to be playing at. You all live around LA/Pasadena and you pay taxes so go demand those early 1970's police raid videos! lol..
    Hell, I figure by now you are entitled to them.
    Probably got chucked out ages ago. Maybe not. Who knows.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Badabing:
    I also seem to remember in the Club Days issue some of the old crew from Pasadena saying that when the cops would raid a backyard party they would come full force with helicopters and film the raid! They said they know there is videotape of a raids on parties that VH happened to be playing at.
    LMAO at being a Van Halen fan!

This is the only band where the fans have to look to golf magazines to get news and to the police to get our bootlegs!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard Dave make mention of the "home movies" he has of the band playing backyard partys.So I believe that would offically be the oldest VH footage shot.If you think about it, film ( assuming the lighting was decent) would have been way better than the early video footage.So, the person who needs to release his footage is Dave himself.If he thought he could make some $$ I'm sure it's not totally impossible.I'd buy it...Word is Noel Monk has a buttload of video,also.Consider he was selling rare shirts on eBay ( I bid $100 on his US Fest shirt and lost!)Mabye we could explore that avenue...
    "He gives good kids bad ideas" - Ed Rooney

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's the kind of info I'm lookin for right there. When and where did Dave say he had home movies of VH backyard parties?
    I wouldnt doubt if Noel Monk had some as well. Damn, there is a name I hadnt heard in ages. Is ole' Noel still around? If so get him on the horn! lol..

Oh, and what items did he put up on ebay? How'd ya find that dude?

I wonder if there are pics from them performing in school and stuff. I believe the earliest pics I seen are from the club days.
    Tho I have seen a pic that was a promo pic they did and it was in a backyard party around 1975 I believe. Its the pic on the back cover of the bootleg Goldenwest Ballromm 76'

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

The precursor to what we know today as video cameras back in the mid 70's was the handy super 8mm movie camera. The down side to these were you had to separately record the sound since it was a video only film. The cartridge cameras came out in 1965 and were relatively inexpensive. We used them in filmography classes in high school back in the early to mid 70's to make surf films and we had to record our soundtracks on a separate recorder then sync the two during playback.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This has been a nice learning experience for this 17 year old,i dig old stuff [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Last Online

02.27.05 @ 06:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Right. There has to be some Super-8 of the band out there.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave mentioned the films in more than one interview.I know I have it tape...somewhere.He talks of "hunderds of kids and cops bustin up the parties.."
    Noel Monk was selling mostly shirts.There was a few very rare VH shirts.One was even that original club era logo.I found out it was him by clicking on the "about me" link.I think someone else was posting the auctions,though.Theres gotta be an email adress for him somewhere...lets petition him to throw us a bone!!! LOL