Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I was watching Nickelodeon today in hopes to watch an episode of Spongebob Squarepants, when an advertisement for a "Kidz" album comes up. Basically it looks like the new trend to marketing to kids is taking pop songs from artists who sell out and have kids "re-sing" the songs. Theres one out now called "Kidz Bop 2" which has kids singing songs such as "higher" from Creed, etc. I laugh really hard at this everytime I see it because its basically the definition of "selling out".
    Enter a NEW kids album "Sunny Days". It is marketing older pop songs to kids, probably because the liscensing fees are smaller, and therefore the cost to produce it is smaller.
    About 13 seconds into this commercial I stopped laughing when a snippet of a re-done, crappy Dave-a-like sang a long with some kids to "jump".
    What does this mean for Van Halen, then? Well, assuming Eddie has the rights to his songs such as jump, than he WILLFULLY decided to put this crap on this crap!
    I don't wanna hear this "appealing to a young generation" argument out of anyone, either. This is a pure cash-in from someone who doesn't want to make music anymore.
    I think this spells the end, kiddo's....

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you guys don't believe me on this tragedy and on the day we officially mourn the death of VH, here is a link to buy it.

http://www.musicspace.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=MS1082

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

Sorry but I disagree that having some kids sing "Jump" is the end of Van Halen. Don't look so much into this.

Another example was the show 'Kids Incorporated' back in the '80's. One episode had them singing "Jump" as well. That didn't stop the VH machine from rolling.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, but, then it could have been arguable that it "was the record company". Quite possibly VH had no power to stop them. With no record label, this is almost positively eddie or alex's decision to let them use this.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by MDoggie:
    [QB]If you guys don't believe me on this tragedy and on the day we officially mourn the death of VH, here is a link to buy it.

http://www.musicspace.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=MS1082[/ QB]
    Okay I think I am going to be sick here, this is the most obvious marketing cheese I have seen in a long time. Just looking at that page reeks of money hungry producers that feed off of other peoples creations, is there nothing left to create?? I get so tired of hearing people stealing other artist's music because they have no originality, a remake is one thing but blatant robbery is another. There ought to be a fucking law man [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

I disagree totally. I have seen the video for this track and, if you look closely, you can see little Jimmy Franklin(the 7 year old 4th from the left in the back row with the bowl cut) is holding a Heineken! That's right! Don't you see the connection? Edward Van Heineken, Alexander Van Heineken, Dave saying "Van Heineken", little Jimmy Franklin drinking a Heineken in the Jump video....I'm definitely onto something BIG here...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by dirtymovies:
    I disagree totally. I have seen the video for this track and, if you look closely, you can see little Jimmy Franklin(the 7 year old 4th from the left in the back row with the bowl cut) is holding a Heineken! That's right! Don't you see the connection? Edward Van Heineken, Alexander Van Heineken, Dave saying "Van Heineken", little Jimmy Franklin drinking a Heineken in the Jump video....I'm definitely onto something BIG here...
    LOL! Smart Kid
    Lets Hope VH gets some Sensible Shoes that lead them back to Dave.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm no copyright lawyer but I don't think Ed has to put his stamp on a project like this. The only time he would is if it was Van Halen's original version of the song being used. If you'll recall the Pepsi commercial that featured "Right Now," Ed was quoted as saying that he did not want to do it originally but that Pepsico said they would simply commission someone else to do the song for the commercial and pay them their writing royalty only if they chose not to lend the original version to the project.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.12 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MDoggie,

Your knowledge of copyright law is dwarfed only by your ability to "jump" to incorrect conclusions.

Under the Compulsory Mechanical Licensing Law, anyone who wants to re-record a song can do so by merely filing certain notices and paying a set fee per record.

This means a song can be remade WITHOUT the permission of the person who holds the copyright. The person re-recording the song simply needs to compensate the copyright holder according to the provisions of the 1976 Copyright Act.

In short, Sean is correct, the copyright holders of "Jump" (whoever they may be) can't stop someone from re-making the song.

You didn't think that Van Halen had actually approved all those tribute records, did you?

[ August 09, 2002, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: lance watts ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by lance watts:
    Under the Compulsory Mechanical Licensing Law, anyone who wants to re-record a song can do so by merely filing certain notices and paying a set fee per record.

This means a song can be remade WITHOUT the permission of the person who holds the copyright. The person re-recording the song simply needs to compensate the copyright holder according to the provisions of the 1976 Copyright Act.

You didn't actually think that Van Halen had actually approved all those tribute records, did you?

I
    This makes sense when I think about it. There is some singer that does a version of Every Breath You Take and the music in it is obviously the version that The Police recorded but the lyrics aren't the same. Why and the hell can't people be original is my question, maybe its "retro" but if that's the case remake it yourself instead of robbing other people's recordings, I can never respect that.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.12 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ericgtr,

I think you're referring to the brilliant Puff Daddy (P. Diddy, Sean Combs, Puffy, Pimply D., etc.). He's built an empire by rapping over 80's riffs. If I'd have thought of it first, I'd have enough cash to hire the original Van Halen to play my birthday party.

[ August 09, 2002, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: lance watts ]