Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone...I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who sent in questions for my interview with Gary. Such a nice guy. The interview is now up at

Gary Cherone Interview at EmpyreLounge.com

Give it a listen, there are tons of stuff in there that is pretty cool. I am working on a full transription so if anyone has the time to help, that would be real cool. Some of the good VH stuff in there...

- Disappointed with VH3 (obviously) and felt bad that M.A. was not as utilized on the record as he should have been.
    - The new disc was closer to the classic VH sound
    - wasnt sure if the band got pressure from the record company or not. he did not but said it was there.
    - After leaving VH, he wrote some songs with Nuno
    - Some song titles on the TOJ disc started in the 2nd VH disc, but no lyrics or melodies
    - had a lot of fun singing with sammy (and drinking cabo) and M.A. again up in massachussetts.

there is a bunch more there, thats all i can remember off the top of my head.

Gary Cherone Interview at EmpyreLounge.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good interview empyre. It was pretty strange to hear Gary say that he introduced Eddie to a new style of writing, bringing him finished melodies to write riffs for. If, as he said, he was used to writing lyrics after the fact for Nuno and he acknowledged that this was the process Eddie was comfortable with as well, why oh why did they change things up for such a critical album for the both of them?

As far as the creative process, they should've stuck by the axiom, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Speaking of axioms, at this point in their careers, both Sam and Dave should give strong consideration to the prime directive of rock and roll, "It's better to burn out than fade away!" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

glad you liked it crazy. you know what, i never thought of that. that is a good point that if he wrote the same way with nuno that eddie was used to then why change it. the only thing i can think of is that he said that he had a ton of lyrics that he carries around and is always writing, so maybe instead of starting fresh they just went with some of the lyrics that he already had written.

that could be why the next album was sounding more like classic VH, the fact that they were writing together and not just starting with something already completed.

Hot For Teacher
    Omaha, soon to be Phoenix again...Thank GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good interview! Nice site too. I dig all the pictures. By the way, was that chick bringing Sam a drink wearing underwear???

Oh well, great site. I'll be back for a VH, Sammy, and or Dave interview. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] MO.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?" Fools...<br /><br />LET'S GO RED WINGS!!! Ten time Stanley Cup Champions...

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

wow...great stuff ....thank you for sharing this...great site too.... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

glad you guys dugs the site and the interview. I am pretty sure that the chick bringing the drinks was wearing underwear but i very well may be wrong. I really like this pic...looks like it could be an old school Halen picture to me. Gary was great...I am trying to hook up with Sammy now and interview him

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Or this one from a sammy show...

[ October 10, 2002, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: empyrelounge5150 ]