Register
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

My mind has been filling up with topics all weekend.

Last night I watched vh1's behind the music on Journey.

Something struck me about just how much control a manager can have over a band.
    Journey's manager told the band that when they needed a singer and the original members
    (Neal Schon & I forgot his name) didn't like Steve Perry at first, that they will have to deal with it because he is the new singer.
    That showed me just maybe who is in charge of the band.
    (it turned out to be right for the manager)

And when Steve later on wanted to fire him in the late 80's, he graciously stepped aside.

This brings me to my point.

If VH told RD that they no longer needed his services, maybe Ray didn't act as graciously as Journey's manager and they had to wait for their contract to expire.

I never realized just how much control a manager can have over such an established band.

------------------
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH EDDIE, ALEX, MIKE & DAVE.

*****Gary was Van Halen's mid-life crisis*****

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eddymon:
    I never realized just how much control a manager can have over such an established band.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it sucks. Managers are there for just that, managing! NOT CONTROLLING THE BAND! A band is to make music and make fun for themselves, fans, etc. They should make more decisions than the managers let them do. I guess only the record label should have control, but I'm not in the music business, so I don't know squat...except that Ray Danniels sucks!!

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think what is underestimated is the NEED for a HIGHLY involved manager. The bigger a band gets, there's THAT much more BS to deal with. Since most musicians want to make music, they would prefer someone else handle the business aspects for them. When that situation arises, there is the possibility for a poor manager (ie Ray) to take the ball and run the wrong way with it. So, I don't think a band WANTS that much control in things, because they'd be bogged down with too much non-music crap every day, and they'd NEVER have time to make music.

Unfortunately, giving someone that much control involves a great deal of trust and respect. Obviously, Ray didn't live up to his job description and got canned. Sadly, they waited a little too long to get rid of him.

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I cant wait to see who is the next manager for the band VH no matter who the next singer is. I still beleive that this is what is taking so long.... agreeing on who the manager or managment company is...I can see the VH bros, Michael A, and Dave arguing over this. Its all a matter of how you want the band to be received by the general public.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah Abe, I see what you're saying. Maybe I just worded it wrong. They obviously need a manager to help with the business. That's the whole purpose of a manager. I just think the band shouldn't be strictly musicians. They may have a bad manager who can't do squat like Danniels, and they need someone to fit their needs. So the band should have a role in decision making. I'm sure they do, but I think you all know what my drift is. That's about the jist of it to me.

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

Ray Daniels = Satan.

Managers are an evil necessity. Unfortunately in VH's case they got the King of Evil. And when you deal with the King of Evil you, more than likely, tend to get fucked over...hard.

------------------
    I'm a spark on the horizon.
    ...stayin' round here takes patience, it's like a full time occupation...

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what i find interesting is VH got mad at SAMMY for paying too much attention to the business side. will see if they do the same with DAVE. i think his first act back with VH was to ditch RD. i wonder if it will be a band decision or whoever DAVE is comfortable with. or they could have seperate management teams.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not gonna profess to know much about show biz, but I guess the question boils down to was he hired by the band, or did someone one make the band hire him.

Assumming they hired him, what they did was not pay enough attention to him, even once in a while, on the business aspect. Just cause he was part of Alex' "family" for awhile, that doesn't make him qualified. They probably let him get in too close, too tied in. I have a similar situation at work where ownership doesn't pay attention to my boss (who only thinks he knows everything) as they should, or they don't care enough.

------------------
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!